70 Guide to Frost Death Knights

Awze

dang
70 Frost Death Knight Guide

Hi, my name is Awze and I've decided to make a guide to Frost Death Knights.

Choosing Your Race
Here's the benefits of each race you choose:
Alliance
  • Human you will be able to use 2 DPS trinkets rather than one
  • Dwarf you will be able to take on Stoneform, reducing damage taken by 10% and removing all deaseases, poisons,
  • Night Elf you will be able to use Shadowmeld and have a 2% advoince increase
  • Gnome you will are able to escape movement imparing effects and increased engineering by 15
  • Worgen you have a 1% crit increase and Increased speed ability.
  • Draenei periodicly gain 3% health over time and have their Jewel crafting increased by 15
Horde
  • Orc have an Attack Power increase buff and have 15% stun reduction
  • Troll have a buff that increases their haste by 20% and gain health while in combat
  • Undead have a Cool Down where they can become immune to fears and have a chance to heal theirselves on their attacks
  • Tauren have a AoE stun and a 5% health increase
  • Blood Elf have an AoE silence which also giives them 15 Runic Power and an increase in enchanting by 15
  • Goblin have the ability to propel theirselves foward, shoot a rocket at their enemies and 15 increased skll in Alchemy,

Professions

The best Professions to use as a Death Knight are Jewelcrafting due to the 34 gems that you are able to use 3 of and Engineering due to the OP tinkers. You also have the choice of using Blacksmithing, which you are able to add one gem socket to your gloves and one gem socket to your bracers. Mining will give you a 60 stam bonus, helpful for survivability in any PvP situation. Alchemy gives you potions like 40 PvP power for one hour or 500 haste for 15 seconds, as well as a passive which increases the duration of those effects. Herbalism will give you 240 haste ability which lasts 8 seconds longer than the engineering one and also heals you for 1k health.

Talents
View attachment 2399
These talents work best as a Frost Death Knight.

Glyphs
View attachment 2400
For the people who like to switch stances a lot, I suggest this choice of glyphs. The glyphs here are Glyph of Icy Touch, Glyph of Shifting Presences, and Glyph of Resilient Glyph.

Another way of glyphing for the people who like to stay in one presence, I suggest this way.
View attachment 2401
The Glyphs here are Glyph of Icy Touch, Glyph of Anti-Magic Shell, and Glyph of Resilient grip.

Resilient Grip is a helpful Minor Glyph because if the target is immune and running away or any situation where the target is immune, it will reset the cool down of it so you can Death Grip when the target is not immune.

Gearing
You will be gemming PvP power seeing it is better than Strength (Math done by Splosion). The reason for Berserking on weapon is because averagely you will gain about 162 Attack Power with the DK enchant Fallen Crusader compaired to the 400 attack power gained by Berserking.
Here's chardevs I have made to show you how to gear:
Another way to gem is by using 7 Shattered Eye of Zul (10 haste 10 PvP power) and as a metta Persistent Earthseige Diamond (+21 critical strike and 10% sun reduction, requires 2 yellow gems and one blue gem). Here's a chardev of it: chardev 10 - Mist of Pandaria - BETA you would replace Dragonspine Trophy with the PvP trinket depending if you are human or not.

Macros

Lichborne Heal Macro with healthstone (if you have one)
/cast Lichborne
/cast [target=(your characters name)]
/use Healthstone
Asphyxiate Focus
/cast [target=focus] Asphyxiate
Chains of Ice focus
/cast [target=focus] Chains of Ice
Death Grip focus
/cast [target=focus] Death Grip
Mind Freeze focus
/cast [target=focus] Mind Freeze
Stance Dance Macro
/castsequence Blood Presence, Frost Presence

I hope you liked it and if you didn't please leave hate below =)

Attachments

• PtgjYjh.jpg
    PtgjYjh.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 324
  • r7LWBfk.jpg
    r7LWBfk.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 254
  • K5Q9yod.jpg
    K5Q9yod.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 282
Last edited by a moderator:
Such useless critique. Least someone is trying to make the spec somewhat viable for those who -don't want to play Unholy- . Ever thought of the fact people play for enjoyment? Such as seeing the occasional Retribution Paladin.

OT;

For Professions, you might want to put some more variety. Tinkers aren't going to be the greatest come 5.4, so it opens up a few other options. Blacksmith = JC as well should you be on a budget ( Much easier to level )

@ the Chardevs, I'm assuming Strength isn't that much of a substantial deal for a DK depending on Death Siphon damage. But I'd suggest three reds for the Chaotic meta gem. ( Splosion did some math on this along with the suggestion, so perhaps it's worth giving it a go for DK. )

As for the rest, I've no idea how to DK. Seems like a short guide but straight to the point.

Such useless critique. Least someone is trying to make the spec somewhat viable for those who -don't want to play Unholy- . Ever thought of the fact people play for enjoyment? Such as seeing the occasional Retribution Paladin.

OT;

For Professions, you might want to put some more variety. Tinkers aren't going to be the greatest come 5.4, so it opens up a few other options. Blacksmith = JC as well should you be on a budget ( Much easier to level )

@ the Chardevs, I'm assuming Strength isn't that much of a substantial deal for a DK depending on Death Siphon damage. But I'd suggest three reds for the Chaotic meta gem. ( Splosion did some math on this along with the suggestion, so perhaps it's worth giving it a go for DK. )

As for the rest, I've no idea how to DK. Seems like a short guide but straight to the point.

I will be making changes for when 5.4 comes out, but currently Engineering is best. For the Chaotic gem, I'll try that out a little, see how it goes. Black smith is another idea so i'll add that to the list for professions.

I will be making changes for when 5.4 comes out, but currently Engineering is best

This is assuming one gets a decent Cataclysm tinker? There's more reliable alternatives, we all know how painful it is to farm Engineering for a single tinker ( Especially if you aren't a Gnome ). Assuming that is -not- the reason you suggest that Engineering is OP / or the best profession~ Examples

I.E Herbalism, gives exactly the amount as Hyperspeed Accelerators, which is the usual 'fall back' tinker if you don't get either Synapse or Shocker. ( Which is farm-able within a few hours time )

Mining; gives 60 STA out of BG, which is a decent amount given the scalings in which one receives whilst BGing ( Applying the same time consumption ).

Alchemy, being a great addition if you see yourself doing far more Battlegrounds than arena. Making flasks to up performance ( PvP Power included ).

Mixology - Spell - World of Warcraft; Increases duration & effect
Elixir of Empowerment - Item - World of Warcraft
Potion of Speed - Item - World of Warcraft

This is assuming one gets a decent Cataclysm tinker? There's more reliable alternatives, we all know how painful it is to farm Engineering for a single tinker ( Especially if you aren't a Gnome ). Assuming that is -not- the reason you suggest that Engineering is OP / or the best profession~ Examples

I.E Herbalism, gives exactly the amount as Hyperspeed Accelerators, which is the usual 'fall back' tinker if you don't get either Synapse or Shocker. ( Which is farm-able within a few hours time )

Mining; gives 60 STA out of BG, which is a decent amount given the scalings in which one receives whilst BGing ( Applying the same time consumption ).

Alchemy, being a great addition if you see yourself doing far more Battlegrounds than arena. Making flasks to up performance ( PvP Power included ).

Mixology - Spell - World of Warcraft; Increases duration & effect
Elixir of Empowerment - Item - World of Warcraft
Potion of Speed - Item - World of Warcraft

The haste tinker even being about 24% haste when used is still a very nice amount for a burst as an FDK but I know Herb buff gives same. Then for BGs you have Nitro boots or the grenade which incapacitates in a radius of 5 yards? Correct me if I'm wrong. Herbalism does not get those two abilities. I will add Alchemy and Mining as well though..

The haste tinker even being about 24% haste when used is still a very nice amount for a burst as an FDK but I know Herb buff gives same. Then for BGs you have Nitro boots or the grenade which incapacitates in a radius of 5 yards? Correct me if I'm wrong. Herbalism does not get those two abilities. I will add Alchemy and Mining as well though..

You're missing my point, so let me elaborate.

Twinking isn't cheap, and there's quite a few factors that can break someone's interest in twinking at 70, in this case namely as a Death Knight. I've seen plenty of newcomers have little to no idea, and small pockets. Or perhaps rerolling on a more populated server. ( Reason for mentioning the gathering professions as they are not -completely- useless, and can aid to either Blacksmith, Jewelcrafting, or Engineer farming; especially if they end up dropping the gathering profession later on. )

Just so, I'm in belief that professions are of preference most of the time, and depending on what your situation in game is. Offering more than just two options and defining said options would be of help to you, and whomever ends up reading this thread.

He has a point though. DKs need haste almost more than str at 70 because of rune regen. PvP power is basically best hands down, much like it is for prot warriors/paladins, but that's information for another thread. in 5.4 you'll probably be gemming haste if you're not using PvP power.

As for spec, irrelevent info is irrelevent. only thing you gain from being UH is cheaper death coils.

Oh, and elixirs for bgs? Ew.

He has a point though. DKs need haste almost more than str at 70 because of rune regen. PvP power is basically best hands down, much like it is for prot warriors/paladins, but that's information for another thread. in 5.4 you'll probably be gemming haste if you're not using PvP power.

Assuming you're not referring to any of my statements, for I did not disagree.

Oh, and elixirs for bgs? Ew.

Why not? I absolutely see nothing wrong with using either potions, elixirs, or flasks in BGs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread