70 dk twink

I'm playing frost atm, and I was wondering about weapon enchants. I know that most people go with the dk crusader rune, but I was wondering if it was possibly more useful to go with berserking, or possibly with black magic. if I understand it correctly, black magic procs off of dk diseases and that 240 haste could be pretty sweet. 15% of my strength at 70 is probably less than either of them.

1glaive is such a waste its useless if you don't have both better off using pvp 1h then

we has 3 MH drops in 11 runs lol

warglaive is sick

i dont care bout my mates gear, he is playing like a god lol

real fail is a blood spec.

ye cuz hes better off having agilety instead of attack power right? rofl by the way

blood spec is for pve

emohipster @ hyjal - game - world of warcraft

it burns

it burns

it burns

awhjnakdfnkgjlnfdg

ok, so somehow you dragged this way offtopic. anyway, I'm 2hand frost, and you really didn't answer the question. I get that most people use rune of the fallen crusader, I already said that. I was asking whether anyone had tried other things, fallen crusader only gives me 15% increased STR, which is only about 120str at 70 or 240 AP. berserker gives 500. and black magic gives 240 haste. these would seem to benefit me more than fallen crusader. I was asking whether anyone had a real argument for why you should use the rune over the enchant at 70. at 80 or 85, the rune is without a doubt better, but not necessarily at 70.

also, glaive has higher top end and slightly more dps than the pvp wep. since 14AP is 1 dps, that would put the pvp one at approx 2 dps ahead, but still the glaive is slower, and that does matter a bit. having 2 glaives WOULD be bad, cause of the fast offhand.

vazhkatsi said:
ok, so somehow you dragged this way offtopic. anyway, I'm 2hand frost, and you really didn't answer the question. I get that most people use rune of the fallen crusader, I already said that. I was asking whether anyone had tried other things, fallen crusader only gives me 15% increased STR, which is only about 120str at 70 or 240 AP. berserker gives 500. and black magic gives 240 haste. these would seem to benefit me more than fallen crusader. I was asking whether anyone had a real argument for why you should use the rune over the enchant at 70. at 80 or 85, the rune is without a doubt better, but not necessarily at 70.

also, glaive has higher top end and slightly more dps than the pvp wep. since 14AP is 1 dps, that would put the pvp one at approx 2 dps ahead, but still the glaive is slower, and that does matter a bit. having 2 glaives WOULD be bad, cause of the fast offhand.

have you tought about disarm? if your playing 2h with Berserk or Black magic and you meet a comp with disarm , have fun being disarmed for 10seconds instead of enchanting it being only 4seconds i think 6seconds will catch up the dps you would lose from enchants dont you think?

The reason why the MH glaive is pretty good is because its a 2.8 speed weapon and as such Obliterate will hit harder due to DK abilities not being normalized to weapon speed. It's not much of a damage boost, but it is a damage boost.

have you tought about disarm? if your playing 2h with Berserk or Black magic and you meet a comp with disarm , have fun being disarmed for 10seconds instead of enchanting it being only 4seconds i think 6seconds will catch up the dps you would lose from enchants dont you think?

awh my gawd I'm gona pull my eyeballs out in a minute.

If we are talking in BG circumstances, I normally switch between fallen crusader and the disarm enchant.

It wont do you any good having 60% disarm duration against a mage when you really need that extra 240 ap, likewise when you're fighting a rogue and being disarmed for 10 seconds.

Arena I think you can change over I admit I haven't tried but I don't think you can.

sideburnz said:
The reason why the MH glaive is pretty good is because its a 2.8 speed weapon and as such Obliterate will hit harder due to DK abilities not being normalized to weapon speed. It's not much of a damage boost, but it is a damage boost.

Death Knight abilities are normalized.

With agility no longer granting dodge or armor, the only benefit DK's receive from it is melee crit rating. The 22 agility on the Glaive thus translates to 16 crit rating (17 with BoK - this crit doesn't benefit your diseases or HB / IT, which might reduce it's value by 20% or so, but a negligible change in the big picture). Thus, the stat differences between a S4 Mainhand and the Glaive comes out to:

Glaive MH:

12 hit rating

16 stamina

S4 MH:

6 crit rating

12 resilience

7 haste

38 attack power

Assume, for the sake of argument, that the 16 stamina / 12 resilience and the 12 hit / 6 crit + 7 haste are equal. These are extremely rough estimates, but since only attack power affects the math below, we will assume that the Glaive has no stats, and that the Brutal Glad weapon has 38 attack power. Whether that can make up for the increased DPS and superior weapon speed offered by the Glaive is what I'm intent on finding out.

Assume a Death Knight with 2500 attack power with Horn of Winter and no other buffs (2538 with the Brutal MH - he uses the Brutal OH in both calculations). He has the Annihilation and Threat of Thassarian talents, the Obliterate glyph and two diseases on his target. We will now calcuate the mean output of each scenario. Lots of other modifiers can come into play (enemy resilience and armor, Merciless Combat, Frost Presence, buffs or debuffs) - but they won't drastically alter the resulsts, and are thus left out.

Glaive:

Maihhand damage: 2823

Offhand damage: 1740

Obliterate thus comes to 4563 damage.

Brutal:

Mainhand damage: 2769

Offhand damage: 1751

Obliterate thus comes to 4520 damage.

From this we can deduce that most weapon based strikes will see an approximate one percent increase in damage. While glyphing Howling Blast and Frost Strike is great fun for BG's, I assume we are evaluating arena here, and thus glyph Obliterate and Frost Strike. This means that the three main sources of damage (FS / Obli / Autoattack), all of which together make up perhaps 80% of your damage are boosted more by having the Glaive equipped then the Brutal mainhand. It's safe to say that the 6 crit on the S4 weapon and the 12 hit on the Glaive roughly cancel each other out. The 16 stamina vs. the 12 resilience might seem like an obvious choice, but depending on your current level of resilience, the stamina might actually yield a higher EH (and along with that, bigger Death Strikes and pet sacs). The resilience is preferable in most cases though. Not taking into account any racial expertise bonuses, we are left with the 7 haste on the Brutal weapon versus a roughly 0,6-0,7% increase in overall damage.

Thus, we can conclude:

If you use the Obliterate and Frost Strike glyph (Arena), the Glaive is superior.

If you use the Howling Blast and Frost Strike glyph (BG's), the S4 weapon is superior.

This thread is beginning to sound like Alister McGrath and Bill O'Reilly guest hosting The View. "I'm right and you're wrong - not gonna tell you why, that's just the way it is!". Notice how I use mathematic and empirical evidence to support my claim. The 70-79 section has taken a hit in terms of quality ever since Sanitarium stepped down as a mod.

Also, to whomever mentioned Berserking, Black Magic or Aunt Ginny's Cookie Weapon Enchantment - how many good DK's do you see that use anything but disarm, Razorice or RotFC?

some of the best 70 frost DKs i have seen are using a 2H weapon

two that come to mind: Kope and Juiceman (has asci letters in name)

ones that DW i have seen DKs with glaives at the start of BGs, but alot of them switch to other weapons once the BG starts. like the 2 fist weapons from SWP that have 4 sockets combined with 20STR gems in each.

as for disarm, other specs of DKs use 2H for PVP/arena....guess they have it figured on what to do.

shanker said:
ones that DW i have seen DKs with glaives at the start of BGs, but alot of them switch to other weapons once the BG starts. like the 2 fist weapons from SWP that have 4 sockets combined with 20STR gems in each.

Death Knights can't use fist weapons.

Thus, we can conclude:

If you use the Obliterate and Frost Strike glyph (Arena), the Glaive is superior.

If you use the Howling Blast and Frost Strike glyph (BG's), the S4 weapon is superior.

Howling blast, Frost strike are used alot more than obliterate, so I'm going to stick with S4 weapon in arena.

Also, cheers for doing the math m8.

Users who are viewing this thread