49 PVE Instance Running (3.2 Question)

i would much rather have a gizlocks on at all times, but thats just me. not to mention the pain of farming for a drakestone....ughhh

Locked said:
No shield? :eek:

Why would I need a shield in a pve instance? If all is done properly I shouldn't be taking any hits therefor damage mitigation is useless. I'd have to test out both, but I think I'd rather have the extra SP to make up for the lack thereof.

shockadin is way to mana intensive (and not even that viable even in a UD filled instance like UD strath)...i would take the int and mp5 on gizlocks any day rather than straight SP on a drakestone. not about the mitigation, just purely about the most useful stats.

Falkor said:
shockadin is way to mana intensive (and not even that viable even in a UD filled instance like UD strath)...i would take the int and mp5 on gizlocks any day rather than straight SP on a drakestone. not about the mitigation, just purely about the most useful stats.

Explain to me how it isn't viable, the amount of hit rating to hit cap a spell caster is lower than it is for any melee class. Not to mention you wouldn't be dealing with the dodges/parries/glancing blows that you would be as ret, and with no instant attack abilities in the 49 bracket and tons of mobs/bosses that are immune to stuns in these instances (for the insta crit dps boost); I doubt pve ret damage will be as viable or more viable.

Also take into consideration the fact that most mobs don't have a holy resistance in these instances and having 2 aoes (holy wrath and consecrate) that will do a decent amount of damage can rack in the numbers.

Btw 4 mp/5 isn't all that amazing, let's take into consideration that a boss fight may end up lasting 5 minutes or so, so that's only ~240 mana gained back from that 4 mp/5 whereas the spell power could in turn boost your damage/dps beyond that 1 or 2 spells extra you would get to cast based on that mp/5. In turn, it would need to be tested, but I'd probably still stick with the offhand.

it isnt really viable just b/c how mana intensive it is... then you start giving up mp5 for SP and soon it'll be even worse (not to mention the int on shield too)

holy doesnt have resist like every1 else, its binary. it either hits or it's fully resisted so thats moot

it would need to be tested but im pretty confident that the mp5 on the shield (stacking with the other pieces you have) would far outweigh some more spell power when you're already well over 300 unbuffed.

Imo Paladins would make the best tank class for instances like Strat rather than DPSers. Or just have an entire party of Paladins, whatever floats your boat :p

Taitaih said:
Imo Paladins would make the best tank class for instances like Strat rather than DPSers. Or just have an entire party of Paladins, whatever floats your boat :p

I wanted to run something different, since the changes in exo and paladins in general prior to when these instances were actually run. Understandably paladin tanks might be some of the best tanks, but they may run into quite a few mana issues when having to stack hit rating gear. This may also lead to the inability to hold agro as well, due to the lack of access to: Touched by the Light - Spell - World of Warcraft, which would greatly increase threat generation.

Granted you could take say, Arbiter's Blade with 40 SP on it and oil for a minor amount of SP but I'm not sure if that would be enough to balance out the lack of str/defense rating on a gear set needed to tank an instance with mob levels with such a high difference vs character level. A lot of paladin tank agro comes from the reflective damage dealt by holy shield, but if your defense rating is extremely low then it will greatly reduce the amount of blocks you will be having. This in turn will also affect your mana efficiency with regards to blessing of sanctuary as defense rating modifies all of the conditional mechanics needed to gain mana back from BoS.

Prot pally just doesn't seem as viable as a druid or warrior tank class when it comes down to all the factors affecting their tanking mechanics and threat generation vs a straight melee/rage using tank class.

Falkor said:
it isnt really viable just b/c how mana intensive it is... then you start giving up mp5 for SP and soon it'll be even worse (not to mention the int on shield too)

holy doesnt have resist like every1 else, its binary. it either hits or it's fully resisted so thats moot

it would need to be tested but im pretty confident that the mp5 on the shield (stacking with the other pieces you have) would far outweigh some more spell power when you're already well over 300 unbuffed.

How much shockadin have you played at 49, just curious. I used to run a shockadin build in bgs and I never really had any problems with mana, especially with the changes to SoW and JoW. I don't think it would be as huge of an issue as you seem to think. And by not having holy resistance, that's what I meant by that, there are no mobs that have a resistance to holy spells as far as I know because there is no holy resistance per say. Whereas other caster classes can run into issues with mobs with high resistances or immunities to their spells.

i mess around with shockadin all the time and it drains me of mana super quickly. just nonstop judging and shocking gets intensive fast. then toss in exo and it gets even harder to maintain...idk i'd just prefer another spec or to go on another toon...but it should be at least tried to test it.

Maerduk said:
I wanted to run something different, since the changes in exo and paladins in general prior to when these instances were actually run. Understandably paladin tanks might be some of the best tanks, but they may run into quite a few mana issues when having to stack hit rating gear. This may also lead to the inability to hold agro as well, due to the lack of access to: Touched by the Light - Spell - World of Warcraft, which would greatly increase threat generation.

Granted you could take say, Arbiter's Blade with 40 SP on it and oil for a minor amount of SP but I'm not sure if that would be enough to balance out the lack of str/defense rating on a gear set needed to tank an instance with mob levels with such a high difference vs character level. A lot of paladin tank agro comes from the reflective damage dealt by holy shield, but if your defense rating is extremely low then it will greatly reduce the amount of blocks you will be having. This in turn will also affect your mana efficiency with regards to blessing of sanctuary as defense rating modifies all of the conditional mechanics needed to gain mana back from BoS.

Prot pally just doesn't seem as viable as a druid or warrior tank class when it comes down to all the factors affecting their tanking mechanics and threat generation vs a straight melee/rage using tank class.

The same story goes for melee tanks however. While you need hit rating to not miss with spells, they need hit in order to not miss as well. They also have to deal with glancing blows as well as dodge/parry/block. Just because a Warrior/Druid gets hit and generates rage doesn't mean that he can use that rage effectively either. IMO finding a tank class to fill the "49 PvE" slot will be a challenge.

Hi all…

My vote goes to Paladin, that's why my brother made a paladin tank for incoming patch (lvl 48 atm) :D

Each tank nightmare are casters, especially if 10 lvls higher... lol

Ofc we all need to stack hit rating, hit rating, hit rating... but for instances like ZF or Mara... those will be solo able with any tank (paladin is still best in my opinion). I would stack as much as possible stamina and hit rating for those "high end" instances and I would put SP enchants on both gloves and weapon. Strength or Hit rating are nice as well for gloves, but I am going to try with SP. Main damage and threat source for paladin is coming from holy spells. It has been changes since 3.0... patch I think, so SP now scales with AP. It is very nice if you have AP as well... but I run some tests and I think 40 SP weapon enchant is superior for prot paladin! Make sure to have retribution aura and all you need is to "spam" Consecration + Holy shield... not a big deal if you are going to hit a mob or not with those 3 thing at your side... you can miss Judgments and other melee hits as well, but you can live without them, trust me :D... My point is:

Paladin tank will be the best tank in my opinion.

I made PVE spec for my resto shaman as well, and I think it will be awesome :D:

Code:

I don't have enough time to show you gear for my resto shaman, but it is very nice and I think shaman is one of the best healers for those instances at lvl 49. Low mana pool is compensated with talents and glyph in my case and druids can use innervate which is very nice! My vote for best healer goes to druid and shaman. I think that priests and paladins are not so mana efficient as druids and shamans, but I could be wrong.

Best caster DPS is going to be a warlock or a mage because of AOE. I am not sure about its hit rating, but if you can manage to stack enough hit rating and not to harm your SP, affliction lock will be awesome! Ench shamans are very nice as well since there is much mail gear with hit hating on it! So I think that best melee DPS will be Ench shaman or Furry Warrior...

I am not sure if I forgot something...

paladins are very efficient healers @ 49, flash of light is the best bang for the buck ever. druids of course are always good, shaman do very well in pve, and some priests can get well over 5k mana which is awesome for long fights, plus sick bubbles as disc etc. in short: i think every healer will be good @ 49 for pve.

Users who are viewing this thread