49 Mage

so i was thinking of making a 49 mage to spend some extra cash on.. anybody know good specs or armorys that might help in the making of it?

This is what I'd try and rock.

49 Mage

Balanced stats all around, with a fair 220ish Frost SP.

^waaaah priest! ;p

This might be worth a shot. The boots I chose currently do not display stats, but wowhead states that the ''of the sorcerer'' variant has 12stam, 12int and 14sp, so just add that to the stats in the chardev profile.

As far as mage specs go, I don't have a clue. I just chucked 40 points into frost.

edit: also, you can swap the flashlight with a discerning eye of the beast if you fancy a tad more sp at the cost of reliability through hit.

Damn, did that shit wrong. Brb making a new CD-profile.

49 Mage - Balanced set

That's what I'd rock.

Spec-wise, if you don't play a Human and can get AGM at Draenor (lolgg, but this means that you'd go AGM / Insignia instead of AGM / Flashlight) I'd change 3/3 Permafrost and 1/2 Imp Fire Blast to 2/3 Permafrost and 2/3 Precision(for a 0.1% miss-chance - go 3/3 Precision and 1/3 Permafrost if you want to feel safer).

This is how I'd gear and spec.

Glyphs then? Evo major is clear, second is depending on you. I'd go with:

Ice Barrier Glyph

Evo Glyph

Slow Fall Glyph

Yesterday 07:17 PM Andraklas7

Mists are you shocky or what the name was? :O

nope isnt me... :D

but as i already made post, if some1 could make char of 49 troll mage max sp/hit gear for PoM Pyro specing and one of balance stam/int/sp gear for frost spec...? ;):rolleyes::cool:

got something like this... http://www.chardev.org/?profile=347248

Take my Human CharDev in the post above you, FB_Ivy, and do the following changes;

Trinkets: AGM and Insignia

Talents: Move 1/3 Fire Blast and 3/3 Permafrost TO 3/3 Precision and 1/3 Permafrost

There's your Balanced Frost-set with talents.

Glass-cannon Mage

The total for the satchel loot is listed below, mind you that all of them should be "of the Vision".

12 Stamina

23 Intellect

51 Spell Power

Also, for a Boar's Speed-enchant; add in +9 Stamina, and +15 Spell Power for Bracers.

You'd total out at:

1963 HP

3222 Mana

356 Spell Power

50 Hit

I'm asking my question here, it seems to be the best.

I've been getting used to pvp frost. I'd heard pvp fire was better at 49 though. I tried it out today and couldn't figure out what to cast when. I have a glyphed scorch, a 3.5 sec fireball, and a 5 sec pyroblast. And blast wave. But I got owned by just about everyone. Melee closed quickly, ranged would just nuke me down or stun me. I really miss ice barrier, and frostbolt's snare.

Does anyone have any pointers for playing and surviving as pvp fire? Is it really that much better?

U will most likely start with poly and pyroblast combo, for example if ur against rogue u want to start with that, if the rogue gets closer spam scorch -> frost nova -> fireball -> fireblast. If if gets tough reset the fight with frost nova, poly, evocation and repeat, i think its pretty much about crits and proccin stuns. Using blastwave is the most effective way when ur blazing speed talent procs and u get some distance.

Frost > Fire.

Frost offers control like nothing else. Otherwise, use Blastwave as the initial slow, CoC as second and Nova as third, Nova is the ultimate slow(as it freezes them in place). If you have time, cast R1 Frostbolts instead. Scorch is your spam-spell, and Fireball when you have distance. Blazing Speed is your friend.

mage <- this is what my mage gonna look like when i get him done.

3263 hp

3822 mp

264 spellpower (+ burst from jc trinket)

24 hitrating (not hitcaped, but close enough)

43 resillience (this being the nasty part)

most of these items are not hard to get, accept the damn leggings and the helmet :)

spec is personal pref, same goes for playstyle as some play more defensive then others, i like to balance it out abit, but your hp should be close to or above 3k as a must i think.

I would never want to be in 49's with less than 2k HP as a twink. You're rogue bait at that point and will lose 50-60% of your health with an AIM shot crit. You're only a glass cannon if you can survive being jumped. You can't do that with fire.

Frost mages can be incredibly difficult to fight. I can't imagine doing this bracket as anything but frost unless you have a pocket healer.

That Chardev link has questionable items IMHO. I'd rather take an Arbiter's Blade with Soulfrost as my main hand. Only reason to that, Felbane Sword with 63 spell power, is if you want to dual spec and alternate between fire and frost without paying for 2 high level TBC enchants. Of course, you can always get two Arbiter's Blades and do one with Sunfire another with Soulfrost. That's probably what I'd do if I wanted to test fire and frost.

I also think there's better options for the chest piece but that's just an opinion. 49's have no real clear cut BIS for cloth chests. The BOA is probably the strongest option, Grimlok's Tribal Vestments are good, Chan's Imperial Robes are good, Funeral Pyre Vestments are good, Nature's Embrace is not horrible. I always hated the fact that Robes of Winter Might were just out of range of 49's. I wanted those so badly when leveling but never got the damn recipe to drop.

I don't know anything about mages, one of 2-3 classes I never leveled/played. All my experience was with locks and priests. So that being said I can only say I know what I hated playing against and that's frost. Except on my lock of course then mages were LOL HK.

Users who are viewing this thread