29 Rogue Questions

gkeller81

Veteran
Hi all, I am looking into making a 29 outlaw rogue twink, but have a few questions. I have looked at all the armory links, but weapons seem confusing. Some use the Cudgel of Naralex, some use regular 2.6 speed blue weapons, som use slow offhands, some use fast offhands. What is the general consensus on the way to go? Seems for other slots you just look for stuff with vers/haste - greens of the aurora or quest items. If I wanted to try and get a required 29 Vibroblade do I just have to do Gnomeregan at level 29, or is there a special way it has to be obtained? I will be running with a 2nd outlaw twink (wife) if it matters for any of the answers. Thanks all.

Hi all, I am looking into making a 29 outlaw rogue twink, but have a few questions. I have looked at all the armory links, but weapons seem confusing. Some use the Cudgel of Naralex, some use regular 2.6 speed blue weapons, som use slow offhands, some use fast offhands. What is the general consensus on the way to go? Seems for other slots you just look for stuff with vers/haste - greens of the aurora or quest items. If I wanted to try and get a required 29 Vibroblade do I just have to do Gnomeregan at level 29, or is there a special way it has to be obtained? I will be running with a 2nd outlaw twink (wife) if it matters for any of the answers. Thanks all.

Naralex is used because of it’s 3.6 speed. It provides the highest topend damage resulting in higher yellow hits. Also with the upcoming nerf to ele force, Landsilde will be a viable option because landslide is PPM and not RPPM , so naralex will proc landslide the most often. Naralex will go from ilvl 28 to 29 next patch, making it’s DPS 4.2.

As for 2.6 wep speed blues, there are a few options you can go with.
29 Talwar (4.8 DPS 5 agi 7 stam)(tho i heard the proc is getting nerfed)
29 Guillotine Axe (5.0 DPS 5a/7s/4v/2c)
29 Vibro (4.8 DPS insane armor reduction)
Twisted Sabre ilvl 35 (4.8 DPS 5a/3s/7v)
Midnight Mace ilvl 35 (5.0 DPS 10agi 10 shadow resist, can resist fears)

For offhand, DPS or speed doesn’t matter. The stats or proc is what you should be going for. You can go with
29 bvb (12 agi)
29 shadowfang (9 agi)
Daring dirk (9 agi)
Talwar
Guillotine Axe
Quickblade Hillborne Axe ilvl 34 (5a/7s/4v/3c)
Twisted Sabre ilvl 35 (4.8 DPS 5a/3s/7v)
Midnight mace ilvl 35

This list is for patch 8.1.5 when dung blues will be ilvl 35.

Edit: to obtain 29 shadowfang or 29 vibro you need to loot the drop on a 29, best way to get it would be with 5x 29s or 1x high lvl 4x 29s.

Just make sure you're following the correct armories for what you are looking to do when you play.

If you want to do a arena type set, you'll generally go with Stamina Builds and with BGs if you want to do things like glass cannon you wear items like parachute cloak for example.

I'll be releasing my guide for 8.1.5 just before it's released and I have all the information I need to collect.

we'll just be doing BGs mostly and looking for somewhat of a balance between surviving and dps. Just something else to do mainly.

is the glass cannon build better than a balanced build using a bunch of "of the aurora" greens and similarly itemized pieces for BGs? I guess what I'm asking is does that build hit that much harder than something like: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/stormrage/Slíçe with sta on most slots?

As far as OUTLAW is concerned (the other two specs being basically tier 2/3 trash):

You want Verse/Crit not Haste... ideal 0% haste.

Cudgel of Naralex and then whatever BIS green there will be (probably still Hillborne Axe of the Quickblade)... most likely equipped with Landslide... the PPM on Landslide is still balls, but it will be good enough. After the patch there will really be no argument left to not use Cudgel of Naralex... as in any argument will just sound stupid (if it actually goes to 4.2)

Spend that 800$ Cash and buy a Parachute cloak with the BiS agility enchant on it... be a real baller not some discount chimp.

Talwar is and always will be a newbie trap... the proc is bad and you are just losing out on using a superior weapon like a Hillborne Axe most likely because you have convinced yourself you don't want to throw 250k gold.

Vibro is still just iffy... if you are playing wargames with a serious focusing crew... great... if you are just rolling pugs... you will do it faster with out waiting on a terrible proc from an otherwise terrible weapon. And even then because we have actual child classes that can do UBER damage by themselves like Balance Druid and Fury warrior... messing around with the Vibro-blade is not all that great even with the proc for team play... the proc is just not needed in the glass cannon mud pit we are all currently rooting around in.

Last edited:
What makes the parachute cloak so good? Is it just the 10 agi? I am completely new to all this since vanilla 19 twinking over 10 years ago.

What makes the parachute cloak so good? Is it just the 10 agi? I am completely new to all this since vanilla 19 twinking over 10 years ago.

Yeah, and somewhere out there you can still find ones with the OG super enchant so its like +24 agility total of one item... parachute is till ok with the +4 agility... meh.

Soulrender Greatcloak is free alternative... basically +8 agility (when you factor in vers) and you get some versatility as well.

Just too many cuts like that tho and you stop being class cannon and go into survival mode... plenty of people who can play do just fine/awesome on not taking any pure agility gear... they go for just quickblade gear. It just depends on who you are fighting... glass cannon wrecks pugs because ungeared level 25s just die in 1 hit... but versus real *****z they can take the hit then just turn around and wack-a-mole your glass cannon ass.

Last edited:
seems like everything that was needed to be said was said

but heres a tip

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/ravencrest/discreet

you will always end up with more vers than crit as a rogue but still try to get as much crit as you can if you have the brewfest trinket. For example opt for 5 crit 2 vers rings, 8 crit 4 vers legs, etc. The proc is an absolute game changer it's like a mini crusader.

I see some rogues that appear to prioritize vers over agility which I think is wrong. Stacking agility will always result in a decent vers total with shit like ab belt/boots (apparently the defilers <3 leather wearers, fkn hate mail users and just gave cloth and plate users cheap to make crit shit). I also tihnk soem glass cannon items do not offer enough reward v the cost in stam/secondaries other items offer. I mean I guess if youre 5man premading all the time you can let your hp dip low as fuck, but honestly if youre 5man premadnig it doesnt really matter what the fuck gearset youre using.

I think judging each individual item on its merits within a loose agi>vers>crit framework will result in the best. The patch is going to be great because gear choices will be more imortant without ele force/frag belt literally carrying rogue damage output.

As an only occasional rogue I find low hp/highest dps rogues/hunters/boomies far far easier to deal with compared the 2.1k-2.4k hp ones and as a regular healer its fkn stressful sometimes v equal opposition if alll your dps is 1.6 1.7khp

Users who are viewing this thread