20/22/24 Shaman - When should I stop?

McBro

Legend
Now that my dream of Lock tanking is over (tested it, not as effective as tank Priest... which is also not as effective as just blowing shit up as Spriest), I'm considering an Ele Shaman. My question is around levels, as they get basically everything at level 10, and then Frost Shock at level 22. So;

1. Should I stay at 20 and get 4 ilvls from my gear, most of which can be obtained at 20
  2. Should I level to 22 and get Frost Shock, losing out on 2 ilvls on my gear and access to 24 gear
  3. Should I level to 24 and get Frost Shock as well as access to 24 gear

Is Frost Shock all that useful considering Ele Shamans just run around casting anyway? As an Australian player with 220ms+ ping, should I get Frost Shock for easier kiting/chasing?

Sorry for the multiple questions, it's my first dive into Shaman territory other than some twinking at 39 with Enh.

I have leveled both my Shammys to 24, if that helps :)

Frost Shock is a nice snare, especially if chasing a FC.
Why not lock at 20 play at 20 and see how you fare up against 24's ? You will be missing out on some nice gear by locking at 20, I m thinking the quest gear from Be Raptor and the Nessingwary series.

Link to my ally 24 Shammy Shamnoir @ Dragonblight - Community - World of Warcraft - It's not been Faction swapped so lacks the Horde only Neck / Wrist items. It's not quite BiS but is reasonably geared. Hopefully that will give a comparison to look at vs Gear Scaling

I can't seem to get any better bracers to drop - so will probably have to put +15 SP Chant on those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitively find frost shock usefull on my shaman and would not stay below 22. Water walking is mildly usefull in AB, but obviously not gamebreaking should you opt out of it.

I have leveled both my Shammys to 24, if that helps :)

Frost Shock is a nice snare, especially if chasing a FC.
Why not lock at 20 play at 20 and see how you fare up against 24's ? You will be missing out on some nice gear by locking at 20, I m thinking the quest gear from Be Raptor and the Nessingwary series.

Link to my ally 24 Shammy Shamnoir @ Dragonblight - Community - World of Warcraft - It's not been Faction swapped so lacks the Horde only Neck / Wrist items. It's not quite BiS but is reasonably geared. Hopefully that will give a comparison to look at vs Gear Scaling

I can't seem to get any better bracers to drop - so will probably have to put +15 SP Chant on those.

Thanks for the feedback, and the armory link. I've had a look at a few from the sticky list, and there seems to be a lot more variety with certain slots than other classes.

*FYI, I also have some Emblazoned Bracers on Ally side, but this toon will be my Horde twink. Would have been a useful item for stam set, oh well.

From what I can see staying at 22 would prevent me from getting the Horde neck, belt and bracers. The belt I can replace with Ghamoo-Ra's Bind and neck with Brilliant Necklace, but I'm not sure how well Uninsured Bracers will scale up. Would be nice to know from Sweetsydney how well she scales...

I think I'll take your advice and try 20/22, then if I don't feel right I can always smash a couple of XP-off BG's to 24.

24 for everything except maybe prot pally 20 imo only viable class that scales n doesnt lose out on talents at all. But who plays prot pally these days lol

24 for everything except maybe prot pally 20 imo only viable class that scales n doesnt lose out on talents at all. But who plays prot pally these days lol

20 FC druid scales alright...

*Duo plays prot pally, along with his band of 4 farmers for the day, plus the other 5 that just join in the waste of time. They make you feel all cozy in your little graveyard.

20 druid no dash or cleanses, f#!k dat. biggest douche is any healer, dps or tank that doesn't cleanse and can.

As far as getting farmed L2group , make friends or join a guild community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duo is my valentine, step off McBro

*I just realised my name is really fun to use in an insult.

I have no time for kids that deliberately go out of their way to demoralize the other team, for little to no gain. I do not farm gy, and I never will. The rest of you can do what you wish, including Duo, because I can't stop you.

This game is for fun, and I intend to enjoy it. I hope the rest of you do too.

/4am rant

*I just realised my name is really fun to use in an insult.

I have no time for kids that deliberately go out of their way to demoralize the other team, for little to no gain. I do not farm gy, and I never will. The rest of you can do what you wish, including Duo, because I can't stop you.

This game is for fun, and I intend to enjoy it. I hope the rest of you do too.

/4am rant

could appear on a mcdonald's menu also

Sigh..... Making a spriest has been on my mind lately, I just dont want to be a cloth wearing homo. Maybe I'll dust off my shaman, stopped gearing him at about 75% and ele seems pretty fun right now.

Thanks for the feedback, and the armory link. I've had a look at a few from the sticky list, and there seems to be a lot more variety with certain slots than other classes.

*FYI, I also have some Emblazoned Bracers on Ally side, but this toon will be my Horde twink. Would have been a useful item for stam set, oh well.

From what I can see staying at 22 would prevent me from getting the Horde neck, belt and bracers. The belt I can replace with Ghamoo-Ra's Bind and neck with Brilliant Necklace, but I'm not sure how well Uninsured Bracers will scale up. Would be nice to know from Sweetsydney how well she scales...

I think I'll take your advice and try 20/22, then if I don't feel right I can always smash a couple of XP-off BG's to 24.

I would suggest you to level your sham to 24...
Reasons :
First , Uninsured Bracers DO NOT SCALE.
Second , using Overlord's Favor will give you more hit /stam/intelect than Brilliant Necklace !
Third , Ghamoo-Ra's Bind sucks... Belt of the High shaman is way better with stats and CRIT.
Fourth , Having Charged Gear of intelect(Ring from Gnomer) + DPR will be the right thing to do.(DPR scales because its BOA) :D !
TIP : Stack Crit. |Thats all what an ELeshaman Needs| |Use Power Torrent Weapon Enchant| ! Use 10 hit/crit on Feet.

I would suggest you to level your sham to 24...
Reasons :
First , Uninsured Bracers DO NOT SCALE.
Second , using Overlord's Favor will give you more hit /stam/intelect than Brilliant Necklace !
Third , Ghamoo-Ra's Bind sucks... Belt of the High shaman is way better with stats and CRIT.
Fourth , Having Charged Gear of intelect(Ring from Gnomer) + DPR will be the right thing to do.(DPR scales because its BOA) :D !
TIP : Stack Crit. |Thats all what an ELeshaman Needs| |Use Power Torrent Weapon Enchant| ! Use 10 hit/crit on Feet.

Not sure if serious?

1. Uninsured Bracers DO scale
  2. Brilliant Necklace will give me -1 hit and -2 stam before scaling
  3. You're right here, Belt of the High Shaman is clearly a better choice
  4. BoA's DO NOT scale in BG's

I'm toying with Power Torrent and Jade Spirit at the moment, or possibly just flat Intellect enchant. Not sure if Ele Shamans have mana problems, in which case Jade Spirit might be a better option.

Not sure if serious?

1. Uninsured Bracers DO scale
  2. Brilliant Necklace will give me -1 hit and -2 stam before scaling
  3. You're right here, Belt of the High Shaman is clearly a better choice
  4. BoA's DO NOT scale in BG's

I'm toying with Power Torrent and Jade Spirit at the moment, or possibly just flat Intellect enchant. Not sure if Ele Shamans have mana problems, in which case Jade Spirit might be a better option.

Uninsured DO NOT SCAle if you are 20... Tried it... !
4. Boas do scale in bg. If you are lv 20 , it will scale to 24 in bg.

Jade Spirit has a better proc rate than Power Torrent, I don't remember the exact numbers, I've gone Jade Spirit on one of my Ele's and Black Magic on the other ( I don't like Windsong on my twinks >.< ) If you run into Mana issues, just enchant the chest with +188 Mana Chant

I have run with a straight Spellpower chant which I favored for a while. I'm going to drop the Black Magic chant and go JS on the other one too.

Frost shock was not a deal breaker for me as I am resto most of the time. You can refer to the scaling index in the f2p section. I don't recall how much health I gain in a BG but it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400. I believe I end up with about 320 or so spell power. I am still experimenting with weapon enchants. I tend to like the static 30 SP one since I use the shield totem CD and my play style is not so stand-offish.
You lose a little bit of secondary stats going in but it is not too bad. I believe my belt scales better than nesting wary's. Wowhead offers scaling on gear now when you look an item up.
As mentioned before, if 20 is not working out for you, you can always level up a bit. Once you pass 20 there is no going back. Good luck and have fun.

Sweetsydney...

Users who are viewing this thread