19 RET Pally Set-up?

I would be happy to help you. Before I can make any suggestions, what gear do you have access to? BoA? GFed? Also, if you could post a link to your armory, it would be a good starting point. If you simply want a list of gear and want to pick pieces as you choose, then look at Eliot's 19 Paladin Guide

Eliot's guide isn't fully updated for ret, so I'll fill in a few gaps on it.

Sparkmetal bracers* -These are the new BiS for paladins.

Savage trodders(5str,5stam) / silver-linked footguards(3str,7stam)

Emil's Brand - You can choose this over BAR if you don't have it. It works just as well, maybe better. Crusader enchant provides best burst.

Goblin Mail Leggings(8str,6stam) / Foreman's Leggings(7str,7stam)

Tumultuous Cloak of the Soldier(Str) / Bandit(Agi)

You're dependent on the weapon for hit rating, and it's a bad weapon.

There's different ways of getting hit cap.

Your shoulders (+4), Bracers of the most trusted (+3) cobrahn's grasp (+4), and argas ring (5str,4stam), with another ring of your choice.

Your shoulders (+4), cobrahn's grasp (+4), demon's band (+2), with wrist and ring of choice.

Require faction change:

Your shoulders (+4), Sparkmetal bracers (+2), demon's band (+2) and bravo company signet (+3 hit), with Earthbound girdle of soldier as belt.

Your shoulders (+4), Bracers of the most trusted (+3) bravo company signet (+3) and with Earthbound girdle of soldier and ring of choice.

With shoulder Boa:

Sparkmetal bracers (+2), demon's band (+2) and bravo company signet (+3 hit), cobrahn's grasp (+4) with valor Boa.

Bracers of the most trusted (+3) cobrahn's grasp (+4), bravo company signet (+3) with valor boa and ring of choice.

Since you don't use BoAs, Emil's brand is a must. It's an alliance weapon. Otherwise use night reaver.

Try getting one of the two prementioned pants when you can. Use +24 armor enchant, using a lv20+ char.

AGMs are a must. I can tell you by experience. Once you get one, switch the enchant on chest to greater stats.

Prolly 15 agi on gloves for the crit boost.

Also, get skinning for 2nd profession.

notoriousthf said:
You're dependent on the weapon for hit rating, and it's a bad weapon.

There's different ways of getting hit cap.

Your shoulders (+4), Bracers of the most trusted (+3) cobrahn's grasp (+4), and argas ring (5str,4stam), with another ring of your choice.

Your shoulders (+4), cobrahn's grasp (+4), demon's band (+2), with wrist and ring of choice.

Require faction change:

Your shoulders (+4), Sparkmetal bracers (+2), demon's band (+2) and bravo company signet (+3 hit), with Earthbound girdle of soldier as belt.

Your shoulders (+4), Bracers of the most trusted (+3) bravo company signet (+3) and with Earthbound girdle of soldier and ring of choice.

With shoulder Boa:

Sparkmetal bracers (+2), demon's band (+2) and bravo company signet (+3 hit), cobrahn's grasp (+4) with valor Boa.

Bracers of the most trusted (+3) cobrahn's grasp (+4), bravo company signet (+3) with valor boa and ring of choice.

Since you don't use BoAs, Emil's brand is a must. It's an alliance weapon. Otherwise use night reaver.

Try getting one of the two prementioned pants when you can. Use +24 armor enchant, using a lv20+ char.

AGMs are a must. I can tell you by experience. Once you get one, switch the enchant on chest to greater stats.

Prolly 15 agi on gloves for the crit boost.

Also, get skinning for 2nd profession.

What would you say i would need to change then? Theres no Night Reavers in the AH atm, and im horde so i cant get the Alli 2h :/

Something to keep in mind when aiming for hit cap is that BoA helms are coming out very soon. Everyone should have access to them. With that in mind, this is how I would gear for ret assuming no GF, no factioning, no JP BoA.

Helm: BoA (+4 Hit)

Neck: PvP

Shoulders: Deathstalker Pauldrons (+4 Hit)

Cloak: Random of the Soldier w/ 8 agi and 8 dodge

Chest: Phantom Armor w/ 4 stats if HP > 1500, 100 HP if HP < 1500

Wrist: Bracers of the most trusted w/ 9 str if HP > 1500, 9 stam if HP < 1500 (+3 Hit)

Gloves: Thorbia's Gauntlets w/ 7 str

Waist: Random of the Solder

Legs: Foreman's Leggings/Goblin Mail Leggings

Boots: Savage Trodders/Silver-Linked Footguards w/ 7 stam

Ring1: Band of Argas

Ring2: SIlverlaine's Family Seal

Trinket1: AGM

Trinket2: BoA PvP trinket/AGM

Weapon: Reforged Truesilver Champion/Night Reaver w/ Crusader

Holycow said:
What would you say i would need to change then? Theres no Night Reavers in the AH atm, and im horde so i cant get the Alli 2h :/

In the meantime, add a +16 armor patch to your pants, use earthbound girdle of the soldier for more crit, and change enchant on gloves to +15 agi.

I also recommend getting an argas ring over solid bronze ring.

If you get your hands on foreman leggings or goblin mail leggings, patch a +24 on it and you have your BiS pants.

The blade you have will have to do until you get night reaver, boa, or faction change to alliance.

You can go with either of the first two hit cap choices once you get boa 2h or night reaver.

I'd go with either of the second two choices if you decide to faction change.

notoriousthf said:
In the meantime, add a +16 armor patch to your pants, use earthbound girdle of the soldier for more crit, and change enchant on gloves to +15 agi.

I also recommend getting an argas ring over solid bronze ring.

If you get your hands on foreman leggings or goblin mail leggings, patch a +24 on it and you have your BiS pants.

The blade you have will have to do until you get night reaver, boa, or faction change to alliance.

You can go with either of the first two hit cap choices once you get boa 2h or night reaver.

I'd go with either of the second two choices if you decide to faction change.

DO NOT CHANGE +7str for +15 agi on gloves. If anything get two pairs and have both enchants, +10 haste could also be on a 3rd pair of gloves for better dps. +7str is the best choice because of the way spellpower scales with +str. overall some good advice for non-boa twinks here. I don't think silverlanes is a good ring get the +7str ring.

Grabco said:
DO NOT CHANGE +7str for +15 agi on gloves. If anything get two pairs and have both enchants, +10 haste could also be on a 3rd pair of gloves for better dps. +7str is the best choice because of the way spellpower scales with +str. overall some good advice for non-boa twinks here. I don't think silverlanes is a good ring get the +7str ring.

I agree 100% with 7 str over 15 agi, but the choice between silverlaine's family seal and band of foul strength is tougher. Looking at the gear he has available to him, he will have a hard time accumulating a sufficient HP pool. Until he finishes getting AGM, I think 5 str 3 stam would be more beneficial than 7 str.

MARCO said:
I agree 100% with 7 str over 15 agi, but the choice between silverlaine's family seal and band of foul strength is tougher. Looking at the gear he has available to him, he will have a hard time accumulating a sufficient HP pool. Until he finishes getting AGM, I think 5 str 3 stam would be more beneficial than 7 str.

I only need one more trinket for the arena trinket and im going to get that later today, So get the band of foul strength or Silverlaines?

So Ive been playing my pally a lot over the past month-ish. Ive tried all 3 specs extensively, and EVERY time Ive had more survivability and gotten easier kills as Prot rather than Ret. Ret got some hilarious random 1200+ Templar Verdict crits, but it wasnt consistent enough to make it worth it imo. Prot on the other hand wrecks shop, I can consistently get ~10 kills per death, with like 500+ Avengers Shield crits.

So my question is, why? Am I just horrible when it comes to playing ret? Or is this everyones experience. I think I must just be playing it wrong

Subpar said:
So Ive been playing my pally a lot over the past month-ish. Ive tried all 3 specs extensively, and EVERY time Ive had more survivability and gotten easier kills as Prot rather than Ret. Ret got some hilarious random 1200+ Templar Verdict crits, but it wasnt consistent enough to make it worth it imo. Prot on the other hand wrecks shop, I can consistently get ~10 kills per death, with like 500+ Avengers Shield crits.

So my question is, why? Am I just horrible when it comes to playing ret? Or is this everyones experience. I think I must just be playing it wrong

Yes. Yes, you are.

jk. You don't get casual free WoGs like Prot gives, which is why I chose Prot.

I'd like to try Ret sometime, though.

Holycow said:
I only need one more trinket for the arena trinket and im going to get that later today, So get the band of foul strength or Silverlaines?

The rings are not mutually exclusive, so get both of them. Try both of them out and decide which you prefer as it comes down to personal preference.

Subpar said:

You are right about prot having a lot more survivability than ret. Prot has touched by the light (15% more stamina), eternal glory (30% chance for WoG to not use holy power) and the only holy power dump is WoG. Ret is able to do a lot more damage with 2H specialization (20% more damage with 2H), Crusade (30% increased damage to CS and TV) and Templar's verdict (only useful with 3 holy power).

You have to keep the strengths of these specs in mind when playing them. Ret is very good at eliminating a single opponent quickly, but in a drawn out fight fares poorly. Prot is very good at engaging multiple opponents at the same time, but the damage and burst is significantly lower than ret so if facing people with healers, can have trouble finishing.

The guild I am in is not very active, so usually I end up pugging. For this I prefer to play ret. When trying to solo-return flags, I have found that as ret I can often times burst down a healer or support fast enough that I can either escape to heal up or use a cool down to gain the advantage over the EFC. Another downside that I find of prot is that when pugging people assume you are going to FC and therefore you get stuck FCing when you don't want to.

A very important part of ret is maintaining holy power for TV. This means using FoL instead of WoG and also staying in combat as much as possible. 30 yd judgements help with this. Also, make sure you have hand of reckoning key-bound to keep up holy power and prevent rogues from restealthing.

Ret burst isn't completely reliant on TV. Don't forget that you can still get autoattacks to crit. Yesterday I dropped some rogue with a 400ish autoattack crit that landed right after a 500ish CS crit.

You can also use exorcisms during hand of protection to put hunters on the defensive. I ran down a hunter the other day and finished him off with a 349 exocrit while I was in a 12 second hand of protection to keep from getting snared.

Users who are viewing this thread