19 Mage [need advice]

So, I'm enjoying my 19 priest and figured I should put his BoA items to even better use.

So I'm rolling a mage! I figure I can mail the items back and forth depending on what character I'm making which already has me at 4 item slots ready to go (too lazy to get the BoA pvp trinket :p)

I've heard some good and bad things about mages at this level, but I figure I'll ignore the bad and roll one because they seem fun. I plan to be a CC focused mage (so frost) and I'm wondering what enchant to get on my gloves.

I plan on using the [ITEM]Magefist Gloves[/ITEM] for the extra bit of stam and int over the [ITEM]Jutebraid Gloves[/ITEM]. I have both the frost, fire, and healing power enchants to gloves and I'm wondering which one to use. I originally thought I could slap frost power on the magefirst and fire power on the jutebraid if I decide to make a more glass cannon build, but would it just be better to put healing power on both?

And if I do decide to make a glass cannon fire mage, are they really that terrible? At level 12 I seem to be hitting fairly hard (though my only real comparison is my priest >.>) and I figure with more spellpower items and spellpower enchants, I could be getting some nasty crits at 19. Granted if someone sneezed on me I would die, but the thought of blowing shit up from afar is really appealing.

Guess thats it. Love the bracket so far, even though there are too many hunters :p

If you're rolling a snare mage, you're not going to be pumping out an amazing amount of damage. I used to have +20 frost to gloves, but like i said. The amount of damage from your frost spells isn't anything. You can even put +10 haste to gloves, which imo works wonders.

You're a pure support class with the most amount of cc and snare a class can put out at 19. Frost armor, rank 1 frostbolts (20% healing reduction if specced), frost nova, frost bite (if specced) and polymorph.

The only time I'd play a glass cannon is in wsg for lols really. I dont see the viability in arena's, seeing as their very squishy, and skill for skill, you'd get smashed.

10 haste and spamn your rank 1 frost bolts :D

kablam said:
10 haste and spamn your rank 1 frost bolts :D

Why rank one frostbolts? They nerfed downranking a few patches ago so they should cost the same amount of mana or more mana than the max level frost bolt (unless I only have rank 1 at this level)

Oh, nevermind, looked it up. Rank one is a much faster cast time and can be talented down even more.

How much cast reduction does 10 haste add though? Level 19 or not, 10 haste isn't very much :p

firetrukk said:
The only time I'd play a glass cannon is in wsg for lols really. I dont see the viability in arena's, seeing as their very squishy, and skill for skill, you'd get smashed.

I'm not much of an arena guy, though I'll queue while waiting for WSG to pop. I'm also very much a fan of the lulz so I can see myself building a fire set. Hunters would be a huge problem but other classes shouldn't be too bad in a giant BG setting, unless I'm not thinking of something important :p

Mages are really great when you don't care about dying and you just want to piss people off. I lawl when I die because I know I've really pissed someone off. Most fun a mage can have is kiting a lone rogue or warrior into a remote corner and cc him for the whole match.

Coldshoulderz alerted me to the fact that after your sheep breaks you can sheep again after 10 second and it will last the full duration.

For pure CC 10 Haste is the way to go. It gives 4.73% spell haste at 19, and trust me it's useful when you're spamming multiple targets. Another thing to consider is that it also lowers the GCD which is never a bad thing.

Put 10 haste on your Magefists, and 16sp on the Jutebraid.

Ertai said:
For pure CC 10 Haste is the way to go. It gives 4.73% spell haste at 19, and trust me it's useful when you're spamming multiple targets. Another thing to consider is that it also lowers the GCD which is never a bad thing.

Put 10 haste on your Magefists, and 16sp on the Jutebraid.

Will do, thanks for the advice. Though I might go firepower on the Jutebraid :p Just because nobody else will ever use that enchant :(

But fireball has a 3 second cast, 2.5 talented. Pretty slow for a main nuke :( At least that's what it looks like. Dunno if I will try fire.

grabco said:
Mages are really great when you don't care about dying and you just want to piss people off. I lawl when I die because I know I've really pissed someone off. Most fun a mage can have is kiting a lone rogue or warrior into a remote corner and cc him for the whole match.

That is the plan :D

Grabco said:
Coldshoulderz alerted me to the fact that after your sheep breaks you can sheep again after 10 second and it will last the full duration.

Also more commonly known as DR, or diminishing returns.

Everything you need to know about 19 Mages

Horrible DPS. Don't bother speccing fire at all, but you might want to carry around a +SP/+Fire set for fun in WSG.

I suggest using the built in change room feature to quickly switch between your CC, SP and Spi gear.

Spec frost. With the 3.2 changes to Permafrost, its basically a given that you get 3/3 Permafrost for the healing debuff. 5/5 Imp Frostbolt and 2/3 Frostbite.

For your CC set, your main set, max out your stam and int. Theres a few good guides on this site, so I wont bother going into details. Make sure you get 10 Haste to gloves though. +20 Frost damage wont do anything for your DPS. Youre only going to spamming R1 Frostbolts anyway. 10 Haste + talents = 0.95 sec R1 Frostbolt cast. Crazy fast.

In WSG in your CC set, you should only really be using four spells: R1 Frostbolt, Polymorph, Frostnova and R1 Fireball. If youre using Fireblast, youre doing it wrong. It uses the up GCD, costs alot of mana, and does poor damage with ~0 SP.

Tactics:

- R1 Frostbolt all DPS. Let your melee get to their Hunters, dont let their melee escape your Hunters. Frostbolt, tab, Frostbolt, tab, ect.

- Groups of 3+ should be Frost Novaed. The CD is relatively short and the mana cost is low, so use it liberally. Super effective at protecting your FC because the enemy usually clumps behind FC, making an easy target for Nova.

- Healers should be Polymorphed. If theres no healers, Poly one of their DPS whos not being attacked to help your team. Poly has no cooldown so if theres enemies, one of them should be polymorphed at all times.

- Good rogues will try ganking quickly and stealthing again. Make sure you hit them with a R1 Fireball to activate the DoT, keeping them visible.

Arena

CC Mages are amazing at arena with the right partner. Mage + Hunter works well, as long as the Hunter is good enough to keep the pressure off of you. Mage + Shaman works especially well for the heals, CCs and mobility from both classes and strong DPS from the Shaman. Mage + Rogue also works well, but is harder if the opposition are both ranged DPS. The general tactic is to separate the two opposition from each other and then strike hard.

If you do intend to CC, you can also have the odd bit of fun. Say you've been laying down some heavy CC, you're down to 500 or so mana but you've got allies nearby to pickup agro. Get OOC, switch to a glass set then go back and blow someone up.

Good players will remember the names of characters and what they are doing. Better players will have taken some visual notes of what they are wearing - this is the difference you can exploit.

rishi said:
Everything you need to know about 19 Mages

Horrible DPS. Don't bother speccing fire at all, but you might want to carry around a +SP/+Fire set for fun in WSG.

I suggest using the built in change room feature to quickly switch between your CC, SP and Spi gear.

Spec frost. With the 3.2 changes to Permafrost, its basically a given that you get 3/3 Permafrost for the healing debuff. 5/5 Imp Frostbolt and 2/3 Frostbite.

For your CC set, your main set, max out your stam and int. Theres a few good guides on this site, so I wont bother going into details. Make sure you get 10 Haste to gloves though. +20 Frost damage wont do anything for your DPS. Youre only going to spamming R1 Frostbolts anyway. 10 Haste + talents = 0.95 sec R1 Frostbolt cast. Crazy fast.

In WSG in your CC set, you should only really be using four spells: R1 Frostbolt, Polymorph, Frostnova and R1 Fireball. If youre using Fireblast, youre doing it wrong. It uses the up GCD, costs alot of mana, and does poor damage with ~0 SP.

Tactics:

- R1 Frostbolt all DPS. Let your melee get to their Hunters, dont let their melee escape your Hunters. Frostbolt, tab, Frostbolt, tab, ect.

- Groups of 3+ should be Frost Novaed. The CD is relatively short and the mana cost is low, so use it liberally. Super effective at protecting your FC because the enemy usually clumps behind FC, making an easy target for Nova.

- Healers should be Polymorphed. If theres no healers, Poly one of their DPS whos not being attacked to help your team. Poly has no cooldown so if theres enemies, one of them should be polymorphed at all times.

- Good rogues will try ganking quickly and stealthing again. Make sure you hit them with a R1 Fireball to activate the DoT, keeping them visible.

Arena

CC Mages are amazing at arena with the right partner. Mage + Hunter works well, as long as the Hunter is good enough to keep the pressure off of you. Mage + Shaman works especially well for the heals, CCs and mobility from both classes and strong DPS from the Shaman. Mage + Rogue also works well, but is harder if the opposition are both ranged DPS. The general tactic is to separate the two opposition from each other and then strike hard.

this guy knows his shit

Firetruckk said:
this guy knows his shit

That he does. I had not thought of using rank one fireball for the dot it adds.

Dunno how my stats will look when I'm done. Gear will be pretty similar to what my priest uses only instead of the battle healers cloak I'm going with the spider silk cloak for the hit. My priest hit 1100 health and 1300 mana, so my mage should be around there.

More is always better but the gear I have in mind is either cheap or easy to get :p

Shuhalo said:
That he does. I had not thought of using rank one fireball for the dot it adds.

Dunno how my stats will look when I'm done. Gear will be pretty similar to what my priest uses only instead of the battle healers cloak I'm going with the spider silk cloak for the hit. My priest hit 1100 health and 1300 mana, so my mage should be around there.

More is always better but the gear I have in mind is either cheap or easy to get :p

Actually if you gear correctly, a snare mage w/o fishing hat and AGM should be sitting on about 1.1khp/1.7kmp unbuffed.

I appreciate all the help so far :)

I just hit level 15 and got 10 haste to the magefirst gloves. Glad I went with it, very sound advice. The .9 second frost bolts are fun to shoot around and anything that isn't a hunter is fairly easy to piss off.

I'm in my BoA's with the one blue. Rest are greys so I don't know how it compares to 19 with actual items and enchants, but the playstyle is so vastly different than anything I'm used to that I figure I should practice.

Took a bit to get the playstyle down at all, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Had a few guys /spit on me so far, so I must be doing something right!

Once I get herb to 150 I'll have a secondary heal outside of cannibalism. Works well enough on my 39 warrior (to the point where I don't use bandages :p) so I'm hoping I get the same results at this level.

Any advice at all with hunters? The pets have high resist rates and they hurt pretty bad even with a sheeped hunter :(

builtokill said:
you can get 225 herbalism at this bracket, just makin sure you know, you said 150.

Really? I was under the impression that professions capped at 150 at 19 and you couldn't go to 225 until level 20 or so.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Users who are viewing this thread