Battlenet Forum users are Sheep

Tom Ganks

With the recent events of WoW Nostalrius taking the plunge, I can't help but hate (passionately) the forum users on the official wow forums.

I (personally) don't condone the use of private servers. But in times of decline of interest on official wow servers, I completely understand people's motive when using them.

But one mention of a "Legacy server" idea on the forums, and Blizzard's minions (the general userbase) come at you with pitchforks and dislikes. Following that, comes un-notified thread deletion.

Along with that, I make a thread suggesting an innovation on Timewalking, to solve the dispute about Legacy servers being hazardous and/or beneficial to the game. I recommend that they add timewalking raiding and simply scale up old raids so they are relevent again, but keep its gear rewards' ilvl fairly under the current highest raid teir. Yet they dislike (-20) along with bombardments of selfish/ignorant posts such as "+1 to the ban list" / "Can someone delete this?". Or even the occasional poster that clearly does not read my post and assumes I'm promoting private servers/legacy servers.

The real kicker is, there's currently a highly rated and supported thread in favor of having an "AQ40 anniversary event." Is this not essentially the same damn concept?

The constant bickering of "Private servers would split the WoW community" is pretentious. I would assume these people have no clue what they are talking about. It ALREADY IS split. That split being: the people still subscribed to WoW, and the people who aren't anymore.

And so what if old content takes the attention away from recent content? That's a reality check. That is evidence that current game development is going in the wrong path, and needs to be changed.

These people are defending their burning homes from the firefighters. It's beyond me. Have fun when your game falls under, damn pricks. They're even disliking tons of videos regarding the subject (from even the most revered WoW youtubers).

My rant's done. I'm also done with Bnet discussion. If any of you see these imbeciles in-game arguing against innovation, be sure to chew em out. They are the ones who motivate Blizzard to continue their downwards spiral.

I have high hopes for Legion, but if it fails, and Blizzard fails to communicate and listen to the community, we are over. Pack your bags.

https://www.change.org/p/michael-morhaime-legacy-server-among-world-of-warcraft-community

Last edited by a moderator:
What I see mostly about these players on the forums is that their argument is "cause blizz has no intention of making those" and then the downvoting begins while we have so many things now in this game and so on which blizzard also said no to at some point but still changed their minds. This will also be such a thing, I just know it :D

It ain't going to happen man. It would be cool but no way they are splitting their already dwindling player base. There's a reason for all this scaling... they need people to support these brackets. Blizzard doesn't just balance low level content, they haven't in 10 years. I suspect they are planning for a future of even lower numbers and possibly to axe all level ranges in BGs so they can get some decent Qs. It's an old game, won't be around forever.

Timewalking raids are very much a possibility I think. But specific private servers locked to content I don't see.

It ain't going to happen man. It would be cool but no way they are splitting their already dwindling player base.

That's the thing though. It would split it, but increase subs.

But yeah, timewalking or raid scaling is far more likely.

I also think wow's at the point where they need to cut leveling all-together. Other wise they'll be stat-squishing every upcoming xpac, causing more problems and gold inflation. They need to just release more continents and content after 110, not more levels.

Only "good" thing that has ever come out of timewalking dungeons has been all the duping lol

On a more serious note tho, I freaking enjoyed playing on Nost... met quite a few old GSC members that had long quit wow which I didnt expect to meet. Nost was the only private server I actually felt like had done a great job in creating the server and had a good "admin panel". I really damn hope blizzard will make a vaniilla server soon, but I highly doubt it=/

I recommend that they add timewalking raiding and simply scale up old raids

I have high hopes for Legion, but if it fails, and Blizzard fails to communicate and listen to the community, we are over. Pack your bags.

Althou i just skipped through most text as im at work.
Some points i caught

1.I assume you havent done MC 40 on WoD release? I had a pretty big loss off my braincells durin that event.

2.Judging from current alpha state(which most of the times makes into the full game).And even further ability pruning,im afraid this expansion will be even more bland.While some things look nice,

remember that blizzard always likes to put things good on papers,they just implement them poorly,if they implement them at all.

Personally,i dont want to sound like a dick here,but i suggest you stop having big hopes for legion,so you dont end up disappointed.

Quote from CM Lore - "I just also know that it's better to not expect much and be pleasantly surprised, than to feel like a promise was broken. At least that's my opinion."

So thats pretty much blizzards policy nowadays.

Not to mention they got other cash cows.

edit>
And when it comes to people on bnet forums,most people hanging around in general forums are seasonal or well,recent players, hence they dont really see,nor care for the issue or the turn downhill the game is taking.

Dont also forget that this game is a life for quite alot of people,those are just living in denial that everything is fine. I suppose.

This is where I think Blizzard should learn a lesson from other game companies. I'm thinking of Jagex, who made Runescape many years ago. A few years ago Jagex made an Old-school server(2007 version of the game) - That game works pretty much like a privater server, except its runned by Jagex themself.

This is a good idea because players get to choose what they want on their game, while in this case.. Jagex decide what happens to the main game. I know this might be an issue for Blizzard, as this would need a new client for Vanilla, TBC, Wrath, Cata & MoP - and that it might be problematic.

But I think it would cause a lot of players to come back to playing "Blizzards" servers, instead of private server. On the other hand, aspects like xp-rates, custom stuff and all the other benefits you may like when you play the servers AND the fact that private servers are free if you want them to be (Donate 4 benefits, much like gold token, except more OP).

But I don't think this is likely to happen at all. But this is just my opinion.

@Denurd
I agree for the most part.

But regard the MC40 event, I may have been one of the few people to enjoy the shit out of it. Sure the queue time was hell (due to how hyped it was and how short it lasted), and the only drops were a hat and a mount (and an illusion if lucky), but I actually had a great group of players who communicated with each other and joked around throughout the raid. There was only 1 wipe, but for the most part, we took it slow, and had fun with it. Seeing all the people in the instance overcome with nostalgia, and waving goodbye at the end of it all, left a good taste in my mouth. Sure, even back in the day, there were tons of wipes and delay, but that was the nature of the beast. And I figure one great experience is worth all that.

@Denurd

But regard the MC40 event, I may have been one of the few people to enjoy the shit out of it. Sure the queue time was hell (due to how hyped it was and how short it lasted), and the only drops were a hat and a mount (and an illusion if lucky), but I actually had a great group of players who communicated with each other and joked around throughout the raid. There was only 1 wipe, but for the most part, we took it slow, and had fun with it. Seeing all the people in the instance overcome with nostalgia, and waving goodbye at the end of it all, left a good taste in my mouth. Sure, even back in the day, there were tons of wipes and delay, but that was the nature of the beast. And I figure one great experience is worth all that.

On EU it wasnt even the queue times, but ALL the bugs as "Oh we killed 2 first mobs JK automaticly group disband cus of bug" and it was like that for a solid 2-3 days before I simply gave up even trying

On EU it wasnt even the queue times, but ALL the bugs as "Oh we killed 2 first mobs JK automaticly group disband cus of bug" and it was like that for a solid 2-3 days before I simply gave up even trying

Absolutely this, on EU you had the bug where groups were disbanding for whatever reason.At some point we even discussed that it happens if someone gets invited via LFR so we were clearing it with 34 people at some point and didnt reinvite.

Now i wanted to get the mount done asap. Imagine going 2 hours into the wipefiesta and then get kicked before Ragnaros, total i spent about 10 hours there for ONE full run.

So despite you were enjoying groups or not,it all randomly got fucked up anyway.

@Denurd

And this is pretty much the issue, it is the community that made things great.

If we take a look at vanilla,without rose tinted nostalgia glasses.It wasnt hard,nor challenging, it was time consuming,and in fact it was quite flawed in many ways.
Most of us grew up since then,and cant really afford to raid 5days a week

But there was the community,people hanging around in durotar talking about their things,world was smaller than now, and for everyone of us it was new and exciting experience. Hell,most of us didnt even know what we were doing then :p

But what also mattered that there was no battlegroups,you only played with people from your realm,so if you were a dick, well, you became an outcast.
So atleast people didnt wish you cancer for a lost game and so.
In short community became different.

No matter if they bring back legacy servers or not,you wont really get that part of the game back. But thats just my view on my times when i was a clueless kid in vanilla ^^

Nos had about 10k on a night. I have read wildly varying population numbers from 175k to 225k. That is not 1.1 million. Or 20% or Blizzard's subs. BH alone has a population of ~350,000. And it is not the most populous server by far. And Blizzard has hundreds of servers. Just imagine all of their populations.... Think of each one of your subs. How many characters do each of you all have? 20?30?40? That is what Nos is counting as a "sub". Blizzard count each customer as a sub not each character.

Private servers are stealing Blizzard's intellectual property. It really is just that cut and dry. From what I understand Nos was going to be shut down on April 10th anyways because they could not pay their server.
All WoW private servers are living on borrowed time. I would not want someone stealing my intellectual property unless I gave them permission to use it.

As far as the "herd mentality" goes. This site is a prime example of that. Users can and have been manipulated into "dog piling". Right @Conq ?

/cheers

From what I had heard Nost had 800,000 registered accounts.

Your right, it is wrong to steal intellectual property, but it only became an issue worthy of notice once it became so large. That would never have happened if Activision allowed Blizzard to take better care of their game.

People are as they are. On XP Off and most every where else, you should know this. This doesn't change because we're in a closed culture/community, or on the internet.

That registered accounts number for them keeps going up and up exponentially depending on whom you talk.
Perhaps, yet it has caused a reaction like none other, that much is beyond a doubt. Nost's success was symptom borne by a wound inflicted on the quality of this game, Blizzard has been pouring salt on that wound since WoD released and just ripped off the scab, and boy oh boy are their customers screaming loudly.

I had alot of friends who played on Nostralius. I just couldn't ever get into it. Maybe it's cause I didn't play in Vanilla. Maybe it's cause Paladin's were horrid to play, and caused me physical and emotional pain. I mean, sure, I had some fun. Hanging out with friends who quit retail after we downed Mythic Archimonde several months back. Getting to see certain quests that aren't in the game anymore. Spending hours farming cloth, so I can afford my Warriors mount at 40. But between the clunky engine, the horrid UI, and the state of several classes I tried to level, I just couldn't stick with it.

Users who are viewing this thread