EU XP Lock after losing sub.

berrybush

Hi all. I've been lurking in this community for a while and the time is right for me to ask
my first question that I can't get a straight answer on.

My friend gifted me WoW all expansions + char boost. But that just bored me, because the true fun imo is f2p twinks.

I have some days left before sub runs out and I was thinking of leveling one or two twinks to 19 and xp lock them -> Will the xp lock stay like that after my sub runs out? Or will the xp lock undo itself and twinks will go back to gaining xp?

Thanks beforehand.

Actually, neither.

Your XP will stay locked at 19 but you'll be unable to que BGs. Veteran and starter accounts cant que BGs with XP off.

You're better off twinking your toons at 20. Lock your XP to finish up any quests and dungeon gearing and then, right before your sub runs out, turn your XP back on. Let the sub die and then you wont level past twenty. But youll have all the enchanted gear and consumables and such.

This is known as a "vet" account.

Yep, and you won't be able to turn XP back on while vet/f2p. You'll be able to go to the NPC, pay to "turn it back on"...But he will take your gold, and it will stay off. It's not a feature available for accounts without gametime, and you will need to message a Game Master to turn your XP back on so you can go back to doing BGs.

Actually, neither.

Your XP will stay locked at 19 but you'll be unable to que BGs. Veteran and starter accounts cant que BGs with XP off.

You're better off twinking your toons at 20. Lock your XP to finish up any quests and dungeon gearing and then, right before your sub runs out, turn your XP back on. Let the sub die and then you wont level past twenty. But youll have all the enchanted gear and consumables and such.

This is known as a "vet" account.

Damn you Blizzard, you thought of everything.

Also thanks alot for the explanation. So the only real benefit is gear-wise?

If I XP lock at all, I can't go bgs after sub runs out?

So the only advantage for vet accounts is gear?
I read a thread somewhere that even full heirloom twinks aren't better stats wise than a f2p twink with all greens. Is this also true?

Yep, and you won't be able to turn XP back on while vet/f2p. You'll be able to go to the NPC, pay to "turn it back on"...But he will take your gold, and it will stay off. It's not a feature available for accounts without gametime, and you will need to message a Game Master to turn your XP back on so you can go back to doing BGs.

Damn. That would suck to learn the hard way. Thanks for the warning :D

Damn you Blizzard, you thought of everything.

Also thanks alot for the explanation. So the only real benefit is gear-wise?

If I XP lock at all, I can't go bgs after sub runs out?

So the only advantage for vet accounts is gear?
I read a thread somewhere that even full heirloom twinks aren't better stats wise than a f2p twink with all greens. Is this also true?
The only advantage vets have is actually enchants and engineering goggles. To give you an example heres my pure F2P druid and my Vet druid

Now, granted, I gotta go get that sexy staff on my vet but you can see where the vet has a pretty significant advantage in enchants. But otherwise, theyre largely the same.

As to the last question, heirlooms are a significant disadvantage compared to a well geared 20. BoA gear just isnt that good right now and should entirely be replaced with dungeon drops (except trinkets) UNLESS its enchanted. Dual crusader on heirloom gear is gonna be way better than an unenchanted F2P, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

You can turn it off though

The only advantage vets have is actually enchants and engineering goggles. To give you an example heres my pure F2P druid and my Vet druid

Now, granted, I gotta go get that sexy staff on my vet but you can see where the vet has a pretty significant advantage in enchants. But otherwise, theyre largely the same.

As to the last question, heirlooms are a significant disadvantage compared to a well geared 20. BoA gear just isnt that good right now and should entirely be replaced with dungeon drops (except trinkets) UNLESS its enchanted. Dual crusader on heirloom gear is gonna be way better than an unenchanted F2P, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Yes I see. That extra +300 hp, plus that very cool neck.
And yes your f2p staff is sexy, but that vet orb is also cool.

Here is the thread I was talking about:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/8nixb9/can_i_ever_get_at_the_level_of_the_heirloom/

But it does say "full looms on trial". What do you think?

Yes I see. That extra +300 hp, plus that very cool neck.
And yes your f2p staff is sexy, but that vet orb is also cool.

Here is the thread I was talking about:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/8nixb9/can_i_ever_get_at_the_level_of_the_heirloom/

But it does say "full looms on trial". What do you think?
Oh yea dude, that thread is from Legion. 10 months ago was last expansion, so the ONLY thing that mattered then was item level. It was a weird, weird system so you can disregard all of that.

you'll want heirloom shoulder because you can apply the tiger/crane inscriptions to it. And depending on class, same with the heirloom pants. But even then, there are some exceptions. Heirlooms just arent great. Good for leveling but def not BiS

Oh yea dude, that thread is from Legion. 10 months ago was last expansion, so the ONLY thing that mattered then was item level. It was a weird, weird system so you can disregard all of that.

you'll want heirloom shoulder because you can apply the tiger/crane inscriptions to it. And depending on class, same with the heirloom pants. But even then, there are some exceptions. Heirlooms just arent great. Good for leveling but def not BiS
You mean you don't miss having random quest items with mediocre stats suddenly scale to being really OP, and white items be BIS?

Oh. I need to rethink my strat then.

I've been out of the game for a while so I don't know what those inscriptions are.
Only recently played a little of BFA, but like I said - its the same ol' WoW, nothing new.
Jaina's questline is the best I've gotten out of the expansion.

But I digress. Need to read some good guides from here to catch up. Link some if you know.
Back to lurking!

Oh. I need to rethink my strat then.

I've been out of the game for a while so I don't know what those inscriptions are.
Only recently played a little of BFA, but like I said - its the same ol' WoW, nothing new.
Jaina's questline is the best I've gotten out of the expansion.

But I digress. Need to read some good guides from here to catch up. Link some if you know.
Back to lurking!
Got choo

@ohti put together this stellar gearing guide to get you started

Users who are viewing this thread