World Boss - Drugon the Frostblood, Outland Timewalking, Tweets, DLC #565

MMO-Champion

hearthstoneIcon.png
Popular Decks of the Week for December 26

curseFlame.png
The Best Holiday Game Discounts from Amazon

World Boss - Drugon the Frostblood
Drugon the Frostblood is up this week, rewarding players with gold and a chance at item level 860 loot.

Weekly Event - Outland Timewalking
Outland timewalking is up this week!

mvbar450.png

mvbar450.png

Blue Tweets
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
ihunters.gif
Hunter (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
You think I'm joking but here's how a typical AoE pull goes with Hati around. The AI is so borked. https://t.co/laLS7GFfyl
.Hunters and Gloria - what do you, ideally, in any situation, want Hati to do? It can't be auto-win in raid fights. (Muffinus)
I wish Hati was more responsive. My main pet is always on target while Hati is left in the dust.
This seems solvable, will discuss. (Muffinus)
nobody's asking for autowin. We just want class coders to fix what was reported broken a year ago
.This has been bugged, pathfinding is a hard problem to solve, worse with 2 pets. It needs to be solved though. (Muffinus)

I'm still surprised that NONE of the new pet families had family abilities at launch.
Valid, the replacements for passives weren't added after they were removed, working on this atm, thx. (Muffinus)

Ghostcrawler Tweets
Ghostcrawler still occasionally talks about WoW. Remember that he no longer works for or speaks for Blizzard.
Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
Is it possible that no dev actual play’s a class? There are a lot of rumors that since Xelnath left that there are none for warlocks. Would explain the stated they are in right now. And if so, would it so hard for blizzard (a billion dollar company) to hire a dedicated single dev per class and to let them talk to the community?
I think you’re talking about 4 different things here:

• Does a developer need to hire someone who focuses on playing X class?
  • Does a developer need to hire someone who works on X class?
  • Does a developer need to hire someone to read feedback on X class?
  • Does a developer need to hire someone to reply to feedback on X class?

When I was at Blizzard, we had points 2 and 3 solidly covered. I assume that is still the case today. Point 4 is more about company communication policy.

Point 1 I think is an interesting debate. Let’s say that WoW eventually has 20 classes. Do you need 20 class designers in that world? What if one designer is better at her class than another? What if one mostly plays PvP and another PvE? What if their guild asks them to play an alt for their raid? Are they now supposed to resign their class design position? What if Doom comes out and they really want to play Doom for a few weeks? Does that mean their class design suffers? League of Legends by contrast has over 130 champions. Should we hire that many designers? Should we give each designer 6 champions?

The point I am trying to raise with all of these theoretical questions is maybe point 1 isn’t that important if point 2 and 3 are covered. Yes, you need enough knowledge to be able not only to troubleshoot but also to empathize with players.

I’m just dragging this out, because it is a question I have gotten a lot about game design - specifically do you need to play X to be able to work on X. A lot of people work on rockets who don’t actually go into space, but they certainly need to understand what going into space entails.

But I’d be interested in understanding *why* so many players think that it’s important that you main X in order to make sure they are designed well. (Source)

Dark Legacy Comics #565
DLC #565 has been released.

Continue reading...

Users who are viewing this thread