The War Within (next expansion) F2P

Bumidek

Veteran
What do you think that the next expansion can bring to F2P experience?
What Dragonflight things you can think of can be useful for F2P next expansion?

I am wondering, since Dragonflight is gonna be the default leveling option from lvl10, does it mean that low levels will be able to fly on Dragon Isles? Perhaps even everywhere?
There should be easy to get 32 slot reagent bag from DF tailoring.

What else can you think of?

Last edited:
I’d suggest they may give us flying in the Isles, but it will be locked everywhere else to us. I can’t imagine they would give it to us for all zones.

I hope they fix the professions though for low levels. Every other X-Pac professions have been useless for us. So I hope they sort that out, at least for DI’s.

A hellish pre-patch no doubt, where unbalanced and broken mechanics are discovered in the midst of things that fell under blizzard's radar, untill theyre fixed of course. Cant say I miss seeing hunters using Bramble Ass and HoA preform surgical lobotomy on people in Warsong Gulch. I prefer when things get fixed rather than GFed.

Imo df for f2p/vets is looking pretty bleak as long as pvp brackets stays the same

As far as new content I imagine we will probably get 1-2 playable zones max and likely most fun things will have a level requirement attached to them like we see in BFA and SL zones

Blizz has gotten better at scaling these zones and mitigating OP items since SL. Will remain to be seen what the gfd items scene will look like

Well! Flying would definitely be a massive win for f2p in particular, so I'm really hoping we can cash in on that. I can't think of much else in terms of features from DF that I personally would be excited for, but I'm pretty stoked to throw DF dungeons into the mix as well. Hoping for some new itemizations there perhaps? We'll see!

Overall, cautiously optimistic! I'm always pretty hype for change, though, I like riding the chaos wave lol.

It was said that DF would be the new levelling zone, that heavily implies that Dragonriding will be baseline at probably level 10 and above, since Dragon Isles are pretty shite without it. Since TBC flying will be only at max lvl, I'd assume Dragonriding in all other zones will be possible aswell.

when ION was explaining it at the CON. had me puzzled on the name. imo the way he explained warbands, it is a account wide bank tab that all your players can access. not sure why it's called warbands. he more or less cited a tmog example, that if one player get a mog item that another class/player you have can use, you put the item in your warbands. this will reduce mog farming, or having to mail BOEs. sounds like for example when you get a soulbound cloth piece that drops on warrior you are running, you can place it in the warbands and a clothee can learn the mog

I’d suggest they may give us flying in the Isles, but it will be locked everywhere else to us. I can’t imagine they would give it to us for all zones.

I hope they fix the professions though for low levels. Every other X-Pac professions have been useless for us. So I hope they sort that out, at least for DI’s.

That would make sense from a marketing perspective. Right now when a trial player joins the game they get BFA. They want BFA to be the expansion new players experience because it will catch them up on the world of Azeroth. BFA isn't that bad an expansion and graphics wise looks very nice and it's six zones right off the bat. If they started instead with Shadowlands the trial players wouldn't get a very good first impression. They'd only get 4 zones and that eternal shopping mall in the sky Oribos. They'd also get the worst storytelling in the history of WoW as their first exposure to the game. Shadowlands is definitely not the expansion you want to use to showcase the franchise.

Now Dragonflight. From what I hear it's actually a pretty okay expansion and it looks stunning and Dragon Flying is actually fun. Using Dragonflight as the expansion to showcase their franchise would make sense. Give them a taste of Dragon Flying and see if you can't entice some of them to subscribe.

If that's true it's going to mean a fundamental shift in the way Blizzard employs its trial account.

Right now what Blizzard's strategy with the Trial Account is is "buy the game or get the fuck out" and so they've designed the Trial experience to be very uncomfortable in the long run. They don't want you getting cozy as a free-to-play. They want you to know that WoW is not a free-to-play game and that's why it's called a trial account. "That's enough fun, give us money or slowly experience an increasingly gimped game play experience until the game becomes so tediously pointless you give up and fuck off" is the point Blizzard is aiming at. They are gambling that most people will pay just to have a less shitty gaming experience sometime before they get to the point in the Trial Account where they rage quit.

If Dragonflight becomes the new Official WoW Starting Point and F2Ps get Dragon Flight only on the Dragon Isles because of magic bullshit reason then it's possible we might actually see a much better F2P experience. We might see Blizzard actually embrace F2Ps as just a different type of player. I mean, if they're playing the game they've probably bought some merch at some point. They're all eyeballs. It may be possible that Blizzard has realized the economy of the future is attention and unless they start making World of Warcraft get the same amount of attention it had during WotLK they are not going to be the franchise they are now for much longer. We might see the end of the Trial Account and WoW may actually go Free To Play. WORLD OF WARCRAFT: DRAGONFLIGHT! PLAY IT NOW FOR FREE! (you heard that in old WoW TV voiceover voice too, right?)

They might actually let people play the full Dragonflight expansion, raids and all for free just to start stockpiling attention before it becomes really hard to do that. It could be the Free To Play experience of the next expansion is all of Dragonflight and if that is true it could mean a huge change to what this game is like for the F2P Twinks. One thing they might do is put F2Ps in their own queues separate from all subscribed players. If they were to do that they might completely nerf all non DF gear so that the Baby Twinks have to grind DF gear just like the noobs do. This might be a good thing or it might be a bad thing. The good from Blizzard's perspective is the noobs don't have to face battle hardened Baby Twinks just pounding them without mercy in the PvP. The good from the Vet accounts who have been F2Ps for all of this expansion and longer, we get to experience Azeroth again with a new sense of wonder, and it may take us awhile to gear up we still have the experience and we will be at our battle best in no time at all and now there won't be any Daddy Twinks to one shot us. The bad side is "ugh, another gear grind". And if you can tell from the Pook's gear I hate grinding gear. But, some people love that and the gods bless them when they're on your side in the BGs. But if it happens it happens and the Pook just hopes it doesn't take as long as it took me to get the pants you get for breaking Thrall out of Time Prison. The bad from Blizzard's side is it could discourage old world WoW exploration and if you're trying to maintain attention for your franchise discouraging exploration means you could lose the attention of the F2Ps who like exploration. It might be better to let the dedicated PvPers learn to explore that part of the game and the old world of Azeroth at the same time. Maybe tinker with the stats and make sure there's a BiS for every class in every expansion.

Or maybe Blizzard just doesn't care about getting the same number of eyeballs they had back in the day. Maybe next expansion is the same as it ever was and they don't move the F2Ps to their own bracket or at least move us back to being in queues with Levellers. Maybe they want PvE to be FREE TO PLAY and PvP to be technically it's free, and you can play it, but unless you have the kind of neurology where all night long you're hurry-up-and-wait in the queues and you finally get a pop and you're in the waiting room and you look at the roster and you look at the names and you see we got 8 and they've got 5. Then you notice they have one Daddy Twink, one Baby Twink and 3 noobs and you notice our side is just the Pook three Baby Twinks and 4 noobs. And then you look at the names of the Daddy Twink and Baby Twink on their side and you look at the names of the Baby Twinks on your side and then you calculate what this game is probably going to be like. Sometimes you look at names and you know it's going to be a good game win or lose. You know that Daddy Twink is going to be determined to make sure nobody pounds their Baby Twink and Noobs, that Daddy Twink is there to do some pounding. And then you look at the names of the three Baby Twinks on your side you know, you just know those are Baby Twinks that can take a pounding. And you know they're going to do it. They're going to go out there and take that pounding from the Daddy Twink and their lone Baby Twink and they're going to do their best to rally the noobs. And they'll take that pounding while the Pook steals stuff and I know they'll be sore. The Daddy Twink is gonna pound them pretty hard, but you know those Baby Twinks and you know they can take it and if the Noobs pay attention they're gonna learn stuff. There will be poundings and they will be GLORIOUS! So if you have the kind of neurology where you enjoy seeing Daddy Twinks pounding Baby Twinks and Baby Twinks pounding other Baby Twinks and Baby Twinks teaming up to tag team a Daddy Twink while Noobs run around doing Noob shit then boy oh boy is WORLD OF WARCRAFT! FREE TO PLAY NOW! ever for you because you'll get that.

But mostly you get the Noobs on one side or the other rage quiting until the game auto-forfeits. All that data on Twink poundings, just gone. That Daddy Twink on the other side, they never got the chance to prove themselves to their Baby Twink, and the Baby Twinks never got to prove their ability to give a pounding as good as they can get. And that, my friends is the sad price of war... ....craft, Warcraft. Playing World of Warcraft for free PvP.

Anyway, the gummy has kicked in so I'll have a large Ghost Pepper chicken burrito and a large chocolate milk. Thanks.

Last edited:
Probably a shitshow. My predictions.

Prepatch: Even more random drop ilvl400 gear (no lvl restriction) drops from one-time loot rares that require you to party sync to a lvl 60 player, log out, delete the lvl 60 player and then party sync into a lvl 70 character for it to drop, it becomes the baseline gear for twinks, allowing everyone to oneshot each other even at 300k hp at lvl20.

All ilvl87 epics have been nerfed to be even lower stats than ilvl61 gear. All damage trinkets do 1 damage but an obscure trinket does massive damage

Party syncing to a player with War Within allows you to choose and keep every single talent point

Prepatch: Even more random drop ilvl400 gear (no lvl restriction) drops from one-time loot rares that require you to party sync to a lvl 60 player, log out, delete the lvl 60 player and then party sync into a lvl 70 character for it to drop, it becomes the baseline gear for twinks, allowing everyone to oneshot each other even at 300k hp at lvl20.
I still think this is the best part about an expansion.
Like its good that the gear is fixed, but the few days when you discover a bunch of op items and farm it, those are the best days of an expansion.
Like who doesn't miss farming the ilvl 44s from Legion dungeon, ilvl 58/59 from Azerite, HoA, Broken vendor gear, ilvl 155s

I still think this is the best part about an expansion.
Like its good that the gear is fixed, but the few days when you discover a bunch of op items and farm it, those are the best days of an expansion.
Like who doesn't miss farming the ilvl 44s from Legion dungeon, ilvl 58/59 from Azerite, HoA, Broken vendor gear, ilvl 155s

Truly fun times. However as I get older and busier I start to agree with the folks. As much as I loved having gfd stuff to flex on,

Personally I’d like an expansion where there there is a normalized distribution of gear where you aren’t excluded from pvp if you don’t have it but have an moderate power reward to folks that do hardcore farming.

This expansion, Warforged gear is a pretty good compromise because it’s “relatively” easy to get a full set. But it requires real work to min/max. To me there’s something for everyone

1) A bit of farming required creates a small barrier to entry for fotm rerollers. (More of an issue in SL)

2) There is something for casuals and hardcore grinders alike

The only thing that’s missing is pvp :PepeHands:

i do not blame blizzard for what twinking has declined to, we have asked for everything that blizzard has done...to get to where we are now since WOTLK blizzard did no piss on my wheaties and did not piss your wheaties either
we do not have the remaining players focused within one game anymore. those remaining are split into five versions of WOW and private servers.

other day i was watching parts of a streamers return to retail, also classic, also hardcore. who made the comment when he asked in one version why not playing the other version, he said its too hard to play all three versions of WOW. alot streamers even those not usually doing WOW are in hardcore, because it's like the fall guys game where you have drama, scheming, some famous people, streamers vs streamers, etc which generates views and $$$$$

i do not blame blizzard for what twinking has declined to, we have asked for everything that blizzard has done...to get to where we are now since WOTLK blizzard did no piss on my wheaties and did not piss your wheaties either
we do not have the remaining players focused within one game anymore. those remaining are split into five versions of WOW and private servers.

other day i was watching parts of a streamers return to retail, also classic, also hardcore. who made the comment when he asked in one version why not playing the other version, he said its too hard to play all three versions of WOW. alot streamers even those not usually doing WOW are in hardcore, because it's like the fall guys game where you have drama, scheming, some famous people, streamers vs streamers, etc which generates views and $$$$$
So… Who is hyped for Season of Discovery twinking?

Dragonflight isles may be available with 'The War Within' but it already locked Vet/F2P level 20s OUT - Dragonriding was changed to level 30 along with flying, in one of the updates as well as the professions like with Shadowlands/Dragonflight are locked hard behind the character level, I do not believe any of these will be under level 30.

Last edited:
Dragonflight isles may be available with 'The War Within' but it already locked Vet/F2P level 20s OUT - Dragonriding was changed to level 30 along with flying, in one of the updates as well as the professions like with Shadowlands/Dragonflight are locked hard behind the character level, I do not believe any of these will be under level 30.
Blizzard has already stated in some interview that Dragon Isle will be the new player experience leveling route, and that you will go there directly after Exile’s Reach (level 10) and also that you would be able to fly earlier than now (level 30).

So Dragonriding will probably be available at level 10 even though normal flying or dynamic flying in other zones might not be available yet.

hm. looks like the internet's being cleaned of that old vid of lord buckethead saying it will be a shitshow

All i care about is DF's transmog options. They added a *lot* of low-fantasy stuff, that i'm actually interested in grabbing. Other than that, this game went to shit long ago.

What do you think that the next expansion can bring to F2P experience?
What Dragonflight things you can think of can be useful for F2P next expansion?

I am wondering, since Dragonflight is gonna be the default leveling option from lvl10, does it mean that low levels will be able to fly on Dragon Isles? Perhaps even everywhere?
There should be easy to get 32 slot reagent bag from DF tailoring.

What else can you think of?

This was confirmed 3 weeks ago. Together with 20 evokers. (maybe 10, dont remember)

Users who are viewing this thread