Optimal level for PvP

Felspar

Legend
The title's slightly misleading, but my question is this:

With the new level scaling in BGs (where everyone is 'upgraded' to the highest level for the bracket), are there times (for kit reasons) when lower levels will be stronger?

In other words, is it possible that a fully geared level 30 character might be better than a fully geared level 34 one?

Obviously any non-bracket cap level character will be missing out on some abilities, but there are masses of times when you don't learn anything particularly exciting for 2/3/4 levels.

Where the benefit would come is on occasions when you would still be using (some of) the same gear 4 levels later.

I've just been leveling a hunter (now 55) - fully 'loomed up and with BiS all (/most) of the time. I noticed that there was a bunch of gear that I picked up at 28/29, that I was still using 10 levels later. Leaving the level scaling aside for a moment, this means that in absolute terms, I would have been a lot stronger at 34 than when I was only level 30; but in relative terms, I would have been weaker as the gear would have been providing less and less secondary stats with each level I went up. (For those struggling to follow my dodgy example, here's another way - with every level that you go up, you need more haste/crit etc to get 1% of that stat. As a result, a pair of gloves that gives +10 haste will grant less percentage of haste at level 31 than it did at level 30. And if you're still wearing them at level 34, the difference could be quite significant (0.5-1% for 1 piece of equipment?))

My theory (working off my own experience, but could apply to any class at different levels) is that a level 30 hunter in BiS will beat a level 34 hunter in BiS when they meet in BGs.

You can also develop the theory further with Heirlooms. At lower levels, heirlooms don't gain stats at every level - and so they are 'better' at some levels than other (just after they have gained stats, then trailing off for 2-3 levels before the next boost).

All of this is based on my un-scientific understanding of how the scaling system works, so correct me if I'm wrong on the mechanics! My assumption is that primary stats are all scaled, as is your gear, so secondary stats should end up at the same percentage?

Felspar

I can't give you the full information regarding your question, but here's what I see myself:
I'm playing in the F2P bracket, and if there's at least one level 24 char on the enemies side, he can really wreak havoc if he's not just a slacker.
And probably it's not the gear that matters, it's the ablilities you can learn when you're a bit higher level.
For example, shadow priests are just useless @level 20 bcuz they don't have the key spells like Shadowform and Mind Blast, but at level 24 a shadow priest becomes a monster whom you'll never want to encounter.

I agree with Nidana. It's not so much the gear, but the 4 levels difference does bring new abilities most of the time. That could definitely be game-changing.

I know the state scaling with the leveling is a factor as well, right?

Recently been leveling a character in the 70-74 bracket. At level 71 my prot warrior( Faelirria MG ) had 20,000 hp roughly, with a stam buff (I have a pocket priest healer), but once I dinged 72 I suddenly only has 18,000 hp. Not sure if it makes that much of a difference in the end with twink brackets, but I imagine for some class/specs it might be something to keep in mind.

or go lvl 24. you can get superior gear and hit alot harder then 20s with gnomer gear and enchant more stuff. a lvl 24 protadin, war, hunter or spriest can top teh boards with no skill

In 5.4 I suspect that f2P will be biting the dust unless they get their own bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread