Not another hunter!

Spoons

Legend
Nye @ Winterhoof - Game - World of Warcraft

This is Nye. She studies biology, medicine, and is an alright cook. Her favorite activities include archery, gardening, and long walks on the beach.

Rustberg Gull - NPC - World of Warcraft

This is Bill. Bill is a seagull. One day when Nye was walking along the shores of Eversong, she accidently dropped a piece of toast. She has not been able to get bill to go away ever since.

Recently, a friend wanted me to start a twink with him. We settled on the 19 bracket, he chose a priest. myself, not knowing any better, chose a hunter. it wasn't until i got into battlegrounds that i realised that i should have gone with that mage instead, but meh. apart from the harrassment for picking a "FotM faceroll, armless monkey could play blindfolded" class, the character is pretty fun. I'm working on my BoA helm and arena grand master, but otherwise the toon seems like it's fairly finished.

long story short, i have a few questions and i'm told this is the place to come to find answers.

Question Number One!

I'm told that the seagull is a terrible pet, that a ferocity pet does more damage. I was to understand that this was not the case, and i haven't really noticed a difference between bill number one, the seagull, and bill number two, the fox. Am I wrong?

Question Number Two!

I see that most hunters i've done bg's with go for the mail BoA's. with mail vs leather, i'm losing 10 hit and 2 agility for 3 stamina, 11 crit, and 124 armor(4.5~% physical dr). Most of those hunters don't seem to be replacing the hit rating lost, and i can see missing an explosive shot being devastating to my ability to kill that other dude, or missing a Con. Shot getting me killed. Thoughts?

Question Number Three!

I'm a huge fan of the bow over the gun, but BiS is BiS i hear. Is the PvP BoA gun really that much better than the bow?

Cheers!

Nye, the science elf.

1 - Bat pet is for the win. Only pet with an ability and a good one at that, a stun from distance.

2 - Mail is better than leather, IF you are hit capped. However, leather helm is better than mail because the mail has haste and the leather has crit.

3 - Gun has higher end cap damage and overall just hits harder. Stat wise I'm oblivious to the difference however.

you didn't come to the wrong place for information, it's just that all that harassment you get in the bgs for being a hunter? it's these guys.

Opinion said:
1 - Spider pet is for the win. Only pet with an ability and a good one at that, a stun from distance.

2 - Mail is better than leather, IF you are hit capped. However, leather helm is better than mail because the mail has crit and the leather has haste.

3 - Gun has higher end cap damage and overall just hits harder. Stat wise I'm oblivious to the difference however.

You mixed your helm stats up in #2. Leather is better because it has crit instead of haste. Also, leather chest is good in certain situations when hit capping.

Spoons said:
Nye @ Winterhoof - Game - World of Warcraft

This is Nye. She studies biology, medicine, and is an alright cook. Her favorite activities include archery, gardening, and long walks on the beach.

Rustberg Gull - NPC - World of Warcraft

This is Bill. Bill is a seagull. One day when Nye was walking along the shores of Eversong, she accidently dropped a piece of toast. She has not been able to get bill to go away ever since.

Recently, a friend wanted me to start a twink with him. We settled on the 19 bracket, he chose a priest. myself, not knowing any better, chose a hunter. it wasn't until i got into battlegrounds that i realised that i should have gone with that mage instead, but meh. apart from the harrassment for picking a "FotM faceroll, armless monkey could play blindfolded" class, the character is pretty fun. I'm working on my BoA helm and arena grand master, but otherwise the toon seems like it's fairly finished.

long story short, i have a few questions and i'm told this is the place to come to find answers.

Question Number One!

I'm told that the seagull is a terrible pet, that a ferocity pet does more damage. I was to understand that this was not the case, and i haven't really noticed a difference between bill number one, the seagull, and bill number two, the fox. Am I wrong?

Question Number Two!

I see that most hunters i've done bg's with go for the mail BoA's. with mail vs leather, i'm losing 10 hit and 2 agility for 3 stamina, 11 crit, and 124 armor(4.5~% physical dr). Most of those hunters don't seem to be replacing the hit rating lost, and i can see missing an explosive shot being devastating to my ability to kill that other dude, or missing a Con. Shot getting me killed. Thoughts?

Question Number Three!

I'm a huge fan of the bow over the gun, but BiS is BiS i hear. Is the PvP BoA gun really that much better than the bow?

Cheers!

Nye, the science elf.

Did bill eat the toast?

She has not been able to get bill to go away ever since.
Just right click Bill's UI icon and choose "abandon". j/k. I saw a 70 twink tard with a seagull and laughed for like two minutes. I'm gonna get one cuz seagull has to be a contender for funniest hunter pet.

Opinion above misspoke, I think. Spider used to be great for its web ability; but hunter pets lost special attacks in 4.0.3. The ranged stun that Opinion mentions is from a bat, which you can find in Tirisfal Glades. (Find someone with a 2-seater flying mount or it's a long run. If you hoof it, you can go to the right around the two walls/gates you encounter as there are high-level NPCs at the gates. Pick up FPs at AB and just inside Western Plaguelands on the way.) There's a great thread on hunter pets in this section. Sounds like you like cute pets, so you'll want to pick up Bayne, a pink hellhound, while you're in Tirisfal. Pets are pretty worthless (little damage, little HP) at this level now except for special abilities, so check the hunter pet thread for the 4-5 that still have specials and take your pick.

On the choice of gear, any hit over 10 rating/5% is wasted, so focus on agility, crit, and stam after capping hit. (7%/15 rating for Horde, I think.) Get 1600+ hp and which ranged won't really matter too much.

DELETE YOUR HUNTER NOW WHILE THERE'S STILL HOPE!

Seriously though, more hunters are not appreciated, but if you insist check out Pizza's guide in the 19 guide section. It is very well-written and will provide you with a BiS list for O and D. Keep in mind that the items he has chosen will require a faction change to collect so make sure you hit cap regardless.

Oh god I am already mixxing my information again. That's two mistakes. Jeeze I am tired out of my mind.

I think I'm the only one who understands my advice sometimes.

Hit capping is the most important thing for a hunter. Its 5% to cap, but 7% to cap on night elves as they have 2% extra miss chance.

Mail gear is better for armor and crit, also the BoA staff is good for crit, and hit rating so you can use BoA mail stuff. BoA leather helm is BiS.

Good luck with everything, hopefully after a little bit you can roll a more balanced class. :)

lots and lots of hunter hating... was told ingame that the thread got more helpful info in it, so i came back to take a look.

thanks to everyone who's posted. i'm playing this twink for fun. i'm having fun with my seagull, and apparently hunters are stupid enough as is, so i'll skip the extra cc. it'll probably get me killed a few times, but meh. it's not fun if you always win.

i don't have the money to faction swap for gear, so i'll continue to use my leather BoA's to keep myself hit capped. if the difference between the gun and bow are nothing more than 3 damage top end, i can live with using the bow until i save up the honor for the gun.

Edit: And yes, bill did eat the toast.

Since when did hunters have as much class and riveting tales as this one? Bravo.

I look forward to seeing you ingame.

may i, perhaps, interest you in a dragonhawk? i could do with some more dmg from my spells...

another somewhat interesting bird to get is one of the daggercap hawks outside UP/UK. they are all around level 6 i believe, and the only northrend model hawk you can get at 19 :)

Users who are viewing this thread