Mage Is Complete =D Full BiS PvP/PvE

No, its not.
Pvp rings, not spell pen capped.
Weird gems aswell but that doesn't get into gear.

Should rename to "What I consider to be BiS, even if I am wrong". :p

Add to that your priest runs zero spell hit or spell pen.

Getting spell pen capped is important. Having none at 70 versus 70 resistance is around 28% lost damage, for example.

Even the difference between 35 and 70 is huge. Like about 11% damage difference (in the case of dps).

Tetarius, the spell hit cap is 4%.

Richard Feynman once said "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics." I think that translates very well to our situation, and I can safely say that if you think you have BiS gear, you don't have BiS gear.

As a Mage, don't you aim for hit cap 4%, Haste 20% (because anything over that is crap), Spell penetration at 50+ at least and alternatively 33.4% crit chance for 100% crit against Deep Freezes? Or am I wrong?

EDIT: The rest should just be pure intellect after that.

Ach, All ye young whippasnappas be forgettin' about spell penetration!

MotW/Kings provide 35 Resistance in all magic schools, aside from holy. Races with resistances gain one point of resistance per level, at 70, 70 resistance works out to be approximately 28.57%, In either arcane, (Gnome/Blood elf) Nature, (Night elf/Tauren/Worgen) Frost, (Dwarf) Shadow, (Undead/Draenei/Worgen). Worgen has both nature and shadow resistance, Slightly less then other races, with their one specific resistance.

The 35 Spell penetration to cloak enchant would cover the resistance granted by Motw/Kings, But depending on class/spec, 'Capping' it at 70 generally tends to be the way to go, At least as far as non-frost mages, Seeing as some people out there are getting 300-500 frost resistance, Just to deal with the mages in the bracket.

Ach! All ye fine dandies prancin' about with yer 'quipment full-o intellect!

Past thought; Ugh. Sorry if the % of resistance is @ 70. Memory fails me this time of.. Er, day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played with you and against you and you're a good mage but this set is far from BIS and I'm assuming I'm looking at your PVP setup with 3 34 resilience gems.

Every mage with the Staff of Sin'Dorei is fail. You're under hit cap with it and it has no crit. 34 spell power is not offset by losing 50 hit and 49 crit. PVP or PVE and spirit is 100% useless. I have that and Grand Magister's Staff of Torrents on my mage (The stats/staff I'm referring to losing between the two.) and it is hands down BIS for mages. I've used both enough to know. The staff alone makes you hit capped.

3 piece T6 belt, boots, bracers is not BIS for all three. Belt and boots, maybe and yes. Antheron's Noose to me is BIS since extending Evocation is about as useful as ambush to you and you can't argue with 3 gems slots on a mage belt for PVP.

My mage is off the shelf PVP gear in frost despite owning T6 belt, boot, bracers, a blue trinket from LK quests, GMST staff and the Demonsoul wand; definitely not BIS but frost is beastly without it. I have more hit, more crit, 180 less spell power (Like that matters against frozen targets.), 70+ spell pen and more resilience without jewelcrafting. Disagree with me for saying this but stacking haste to a great extent as frost is questionable, arcane it makes perfect sense if you're suicidally minded. The majority of your casts are ice lance spam since hard casting in BG's against targets that aren't in deep freeze 1v1 is difficult the majority of the time. Plus, when you're firing into a mob of melee/healers and no one is touching you mages hit hard enough that 2 FB casts is usually all you need to down a target that is already engaged with other players.

This is a truly a case of your version of BIS. As I said, I've seen you play. You're a good mage and without being condescending you can do much better on your setup.

I will say nice job on getting the necklace. I don't know enough about mage PVE/PVP BIS to say it is or isn't the best but Amulet of Unfettered Magic seems to be more recommended on upgrade guides. I know the recipe is sheer dumb luck to obtain. After running Sunwell 30+ times I've ever seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tetarius, the spell hit cap is 4%.

Richard Feynman once said "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics." I think that translates very well to our situation, and I can safely say that if you think you have BiS gear, you don't have BiS gear.

Feynman is my hero.

I think that the intimate atomic structure of our universe is a little bit more complex than a list of opinionated bis items, possibly.

Although I see similarities with lowest energy forms and the 70 community lol

Users who are viewing this thread