Level 19 Axe Rogue - How's this?

iaccidentallytwink

Guild Master
HULK SMASH

5% Expertise, 5% hit, .72% dodge, block, parry, miss from Defense. Pretty much utilizes many many great ratings, and using Orc to get that extra ZING from Axe Spec. 30% crit as well, so you'll be hitting quite hard.

Yes pretty much ties up what i mentioned earlier. Does expertise effect OH ? Doesnt exactly show up in chardev. If not Stick a balanced heartseeker w/ 15 agil and it beats out the smite's.

I think I may have been out of the loop to long; why Ring of Defense?

~Zuty

Zuty said:
I think I may have been out of the loop to long; why Ring of Defense?

~Zuty

Defense adds both dodge and parry, and a decent amount of it. It's not the usual setup, but for maxing anything concerning Crit, Hit, and Miss, it's pretty optimal, it's .72% Dodge and .72% Parry at 19.

Yes it effects OH.

I'm not sure about the set overall, but I'm thinking that when you add 5 expertise to guillotine axe its getting close to best notshadowfang in slot.

Evocate said:
Why the simple pearl ring, it seems without it you are still above hit cap.

Hit cap is 11 for melee, not 9.

Also, Guillotine in OH is better than Reaver since I'm over hit cap anyway. Change OH weapon in that dev to reflect it.

Are there any axes in-game currently that would be worth dropping my cruel barbs for?

Will blizzard be adding rogue friendly axes?

iaccidentallytwink said:
Defense adds both dodge and parry, and a decent amount of it. It's not the usual setup, but for maxing anything concerning Crit, Hit, and Miss, it's pretty optimal, it's .72% Dodge and .72% Parry at 19.

Yes it effects OH.
pretty sure dodge is on deminishing returns along with all of that other stuff

I've been underestimating ring of defense. Adds up to almost 2% more avoidance than wsg ring, and only around 1 stamina less for most twinks in terms of ehp. Better still if you have a shield. The only drawback is when fighting someone over hit cap it's less effective, and even if they're at hit cap it's still reduced to 1.8%. It' probably quite effective on a night elf warrior.

However I'm told that having an axe in your offhand only increases expertise with your offhand? In that case there's no need to have one there, a CB or BOA would be better.

Ymir said:
However I'm told that having an axe in your offhand only increases expertise with your offhand?

Yes, this is true. The expertise only applies to the hand in which you wield an axe.

Goma said:
stacking avoidance isn't viable anymore because of diminishing returns

I don't think he is going to be breaking any avoidance caps with 7.65% dodge dude. Diminishing returns won't kick in. The ratings change probably means you can't get avoidance high enough for diminishing returns to apply on any 19.

iaccidentallytwink said:

Yes it effects OH.

is that .72% dodge/parry per point or total?

>> DW orc looks fun, just wanted to add that if you're stacking expertise you might want to try the chest/legs/boots fang armor combo so you can wear nimble leather gloves. Armor of the fang w/ 4 stats really isnt a bad choice, trade 3 stam for 1 more AP and some expertise.

iaccidentallytwink said:
Yes, this is true. The expertise only applies to the hand in which you wield an axe.

In that case I'd check your paper doll with a CB or heartseeker offhand. DPS should jump nicely, and you're only losing 2.5% offhand dps, which even with 5/5 dw spec is less than 1 dps. Plus that loss is only on characters you are attacking from the front who can parry and dodge. Less on targets who can't parry, and no difference on targets who are casting.

Expertise is amazing for the mainhand, but offhand is meh. You don't use your offhand to SS :D

Guillotine axe is more dps than CB on targets who can both parry and dodge at 36 dps. White attacks won't get you there imo, since you can't include crit chance.

Grunge said:
is that .72% dodge/parry per point or total?

>> DW orc looks fun, just wanted to add that if you're stacking expertise you might want to try the chest/legs/boots fang armor combo so you can wear nimble leather gloves. Armor of the fang w/ 4 stats really isnt a bad choice, trade 3 stam for 1 more AP and some expertise.

Yeah I was working that out before. If I remember right you lose 3 stam, 6 AP and .6% crit. You gain another 2% dodge parry/reduction from expertise.

It's definitely a better option against other melee, and definitely worse against casters (although less so). Since the toon is giving up paper doll dps for more actual dps against melee already, it's probably worthwhile going all out.

BTW I know the common conception is that shadowfang is the best OH now, but I don't see the math backing that up. Can anyone show it? How much dps is the proc worth when dual wielding, and with only white attacks?

OH never mind, wowheads comments page showed me. SF with dw spec, cb without. Of course :(

Ymir said:
BTW I know the common conception is that shadowfang is the best OH now, but I don't see the math backing that up. Can anyone show it? How much dps is the proc worth when dual wielding, and with only white attacks?

OH never mind, wowheads comments page showed me. SF with dw spec, cb without. Of course :(

Shadowpanther.net can help you with any AEP maths for rogue twinks you'll ever need to see.

Ymir said:
Yeah I was working that out before. If I remember right you lose 3 stam, 6 AP and .6% crit. You gain another 2% dodge parry/reduction from expertise.

It's definitely a better option against other melee, and definitely worse against casters (although less so). Since the toon is giving up paper doll dps for more actual dps against melee already, it's probably worthwhile going all out.

At any rate, considering proc chants are the way to go the less you are dodged the more you hit, which means more procs, which means more dps. Its most effective against melee but the dodge recduction will spill over onto clothies a bit too, nothing to worry about.

And anyway, who says you cant have multiple sets? ;o

Users who are viewing this thread