help me stop keyboard turning & clicking on action bars

dunk-box

Legend
lame / noob question, i know, but...

i always start a b/g mouse turning, then in the heat of the battle, old habits start to take over...

so, how does everybody do it?? do you bind forward / back up to extra mouse buttons or what? or just use 'w' & 's' for forward & back & use mouse for side to side?

always tab target or a mixture?

do just save mouse clicking for non-combat actions (drinks, buffs, etc.?)

thx all

Bind A/D to strafe instead of turn. and unbind S. then you will learn to not keyturn. simple!

dunk-box said:
lame / noob question, i know, but...

i always start a b/g mouse turning, then in the heat of the battle, old habits start to take over...

so, how does everybody do it?? do you bind forward / back up to extra mouse buttons or what? or just use 'w' & 's' for forward & back & use mouse for side to side?

always tab target or a mixture?

do just save mouse clicking for non-combat actions (drinks, buffs, etc.?)

thx all

1. To get started bind your main abilities to keys very close to the WASD (ie: 1234RFS). It will help you get used to binding. Along with this try to start using your mouse to move. Hold both mouse buttons down simultaneously to move/turn. Make sure you keep your strafe keys bound though.

2. Once you get familiar with the binds you already made, try to start binding more abilties and begin to Tab target.

3. Once you get step #2 down solid begin to move completely with your mouse. By this time you'll be very familiar with your binds and will be able to bind the majority of your moves. The things that I feel are ok to click are food/water, exlixers, rum, and all of that. Some people prefer to click to switch weapons but binding allows much better reaction time.

Evade said:
Bind A/D to strafe instead of turn. and unbind S. then you will learn to not keyturn. simple!

This worked very well for me when I started binding but its a bitch to get used to at first.

Heädströng said:
you backstrafe. theres a video on how to do it somewhere on this site. i remember somebody mentioning it ages ago

theres a thread dedicated to the vid somewhere but i can never find it. The video is in the video section of the 19 druid guide however if you want to find it easily.

1. Bind ALL used abilities to keys such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, R, T, A, S, D, F, Z, X, C, Mouse wheel up, Mouse wheel down, etc.

2. Force yourself to never click the spells.

3. Obviously now you cannot keyboard turn due to unbinding everything besdies strafe keys and W.

4. Now go beat people in PvP.

Ya, you don't need anything bound to backpeddle or turn. I had backpeddle bound to the thumb button on my gaming mouse for a while, but it's not needed at all. For general getting around, just turn in the direction you want to go and go. And as for backstrafing, here is that vid:

[video=youtube;1n0YWWuydXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n0YWWuydXk[/video]

One thing that might not be immediately apparent is that if you hold the right mouse button down while sweeping the mouse, your character facing turns in that direction. It's not immediately apparent because your character's head turns side to side before the body actually faces a different way. So it might seem like you are just changing the camera angle, like when you hold down only the left mouse button, but you're not.

Then, if you press the left mouse button down as well, you go in that direction you are facing. So if you are trying to cast spells, you can control your line of site with the mouse by holding down the right mouse button. When casting, a check is made whether you have line of site at the beginning and end of your cast, so keep that in mind when controlling your facing. And if you are trying to maneuver a tight corner,you can turn in place at whatever speed you like by holding that right mouse button down. No need to keyboard turn or back up.

If you want to scroll click like the cool kids, then you will need to bind mousewheel up and mousewheel down to mouseover interact. Then you will need to bind something else to camera zoom. So if you are looking for something to bind some keys to, there you go.

Thanks for the tips. I am a closet spell clicker, I play alot of differnt toons and can only wow it up about 5 hours a week or so. Tough to get all the binds commited to memory for all the toons. Any more ideas out there keep them coming please.

wupyo said:
Thanks for the tips. I am a closet spell clicker, I play alot of differnt toons and can only wow it up about 5 hours a week or so. Tough to get all the binds commited to memory for all the toons. Any more ideas out there keep them coming please.

All the above having been said, there are times that clicking is called for. The only time I click is when selecdting a target through an addon. For example, when I am playing priest and casting shields, heals, and dispells on my peeps via the grid2 addon, I just click to select my ally, and then use a keybind for casting the spell. I just think that clicking is called for in this situation. Otherwise, you have to make macros for targeting your team members and bind them. Maybe I'll switch to that one day, but I'm clicking away for now.

So, when clicking on the Grid2 frames, I might still want to run around and use instants on my allies. In that case, having keybinds for running and turning, and training youself to use them only when you are busy clicking to select your target, is one way to go. Another is to have a keybind for toggling autorun, and just hope you don't need to turn or stop suddenly.

If you plan to play a priest, I suggest breaking yourself thoroughly of the habit of keyboard turning before trying something as advanced as switching back and forth as needed.

The other example where I click to select a target is when playing hunter and using the "punks" menu to select the efc through a screen of enemies. I know who has the flag because the name of the efc is displayed on the screen, and I can use my hunter tracking to get in position to lie in wait. The I can just click the name of the efc in the punks menu and I'm targeting them, even if I can't see them yet.

great vid - makes it look easy...tried it yesterday...will def. take some practice.

thanks all for the help. did 2 b/g yesterday trying not to click spells & after re-binding A & D. not bad...got yelled at once for missing a flag pick up, tho' it wouldn't have mattered as it would have been 5 v.1 in our FR...comes w/ territory. i appreciate all the help & am glad no trolls have douchebagged this thread. sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread