EU- and US icon left of the thread's title

Dramatized

Legend
I remember TI had to option before to include a EU-flag and a US-flag in threads (and I think also in the beginning of threads).

As of now, there is lots of confusion when somebody makes a thread e.g. about "Faction imbalance between Horde and Alliance" -- the result is often that players from across the Atlantic Sea stomps in and think it's their region the thread is about, when it's about the other continent. I could also see this having a positive impact in the Auction House section, maybe as a requirement to choose which region you WTB or WTS in!

I hope you can take a look at this and see if it's possible to add^^

I have thought about this. My idea is to take the IP of the original poster and find the country that that IP belongs to. Once that is done, put it at the start of the thread title in the forum.

That sound like what you are looking for?

Once I get the flag for one place, I put it anywhere.

Instead of pulling the flag on every page load for EVERY person, I am going to make a CRONJOB (an automated task) to find the country flag for each individual and just store that in the database.

Once that is in the database, page loads will be sped up a lot more.

Still thinking on this so as to not make it server intensive and make a ton of API calls.

Also, there are some IPs that are through proxies and what not, so those will not return flags. I am going to make it so that only flags that I can retrieve are going to be displayed. I mean, some is better than none :)

Once I get the flag for one place, I put it anywhere.

Instead of pulling the flag on every page load for EVERY person, I am going to make a CRONJOB (an automated task) to find the country flag for each individual and just store that in the database.

Once that is in the database, page loads will be sped up a lot more.

Still thinking on this so as to not make it server intensive and make a ton of API calls.

Also, there are some IPs that are through proxies and what not, so those will not return flags. I am going to make it so that only flags that I can retrieve are going to be displayed. I mean, some is better than none :)
That's a pretty silly idea.

What about the players who play several regions or play with friends on a different region?

wouldn't it be ALOT easier just to make it a requirement for thread starters to tick an EU / US icon before they can submit a topic?

wouldn't it be ALOT easier just to make it a requirement for thread starters to tick an EU / US icon before they can submit a topic?

I agree with this 100%. So, what I have done is required a EU/US prefix for all Twink BG discussion forums and the Auction House + Account Sales. I do not see the point of having the prefix for any other forums.

Wait, is it a requirement now? What about content discussion, which is not region specific?

EDIT:

Also, if it wasn't a requirement I think it's an awesome implementation! :)
Makes distinction where needed very easy, and the prefix is easy to find when creating a new thread.

Formatting seems a bit weird:

[US]
Lf 24s to premade with
Started by brainscorcher, Today 01:48 AM

[EU]LFM 20-24's

Started by droodwar, 07-14-2012 01:46 AM

Space missing after EU tag, and it's a bit mean to not give it a distinct colour. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, is it a requirement now? What about content discussion, which is not region specific?

EDIT:

Also, if it wasn't a requirement I think it's an awesome implementation! :)
Makes distinction where needed very easy, and the prefix is easy to find when creating a new thread.

Formatting seems a bit weird:

[US]
Lf 24s to premade with
Started by brainscorcher, Today 01:48 AM

[EU]LFM 20-24's

Started by droodwar, 07-14-2012 01:46 AM

Space missing after EU tag, and it's a bit mean to not give it a distinct colour. :p

There is nothing wrong with the formatting. The [EU] tag that is on the post is not a thread prefix. That is something that the user put into his title.

There is nothing wrong with the formatting. The [EU] tag that is on the post is not a thread prefix. That is something that the user put into his title.

Oh, okay, haha. Didn't notice that. -_-
Well, the blue one looks very good. :)

I just made a thread in the general section, which was about a general topic, non US nor EU specific, but I was required to mark my thread as either EU or US, of course I marked it as EU since that is where I live, but I think this makes US players less likely to read/comment on threads that are EU, since they might think it has nothing to do with them, when it is acutualy a general topic.

I guess a simple solution would be to just make the EU/US mark an option instead of an requirement :)

You have three options for adding a prefix now:

[US] - Your thread is targeted at US players.
[EU] - Your thread is targeted at EU players.
[US+EU] - Your thread does not have a targeted region.

That should fix the issue that everyone is bringing up.

I am also forcing Guild Recruitment + LFG forums to require prefixes.

You have three options for adding a prefix now:

[US] - Your thread is targeted at US players.
[EU] - Your thread is targeted at EU players.
[US+EU] - Your thread does not have a targeted region.

That should fix the issue that everyone is bringing up.

I am also forcing Guild Recruitment + LFG forums to require prefixes.

Sounds good, what about forcing the AH section to require prefixes too?

Users who are viewing this thread