Blackvenom Blade Not GF?

Mcmurphy

Legend
Hello,

Ai'ght I'm not sure what to make of this - I was searching around reading about the supposed "bis" rogue offhand and found this page.
It was my understanding the Blackvenom Blade was grandfathered. According to the above link, it is contained in Battered Junkbox - Items - World of Warcraft which is pick pocketed from mobs in BFD, Gnomer, Stocks, and other various mobs in the 23-28 level range. Not sure if anyone else has come upon this page.

I'd be willing to start farming boxes if this information is valid; the question is: is it?
Can I get some insight on this?

Cheers,
-M

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't confirm this through personal experience but multiple comments on the blade's wowhead page (here) also have it coming from the battered junkbox. However the most recent one was from 2009, so it's very possible things have changed since then.

wondering the same thing. Ive been farming treasure chests and roh but nothing. really would like to know if it has dropped since 5.0 hit. and what or who it dropped from. 50 chests and 50 roh kills and nothing. though i would find it strange that it is still in rohs loot table when he is only 18 but i have gotten a shadowfang from sfk during cata so i guess I cant assume anything.

I just started gathering some of these up. Got about 50 so far, I'll let you know the results when I open them.

Anyone have any luck with this so far? I've done about 60-70 boxes so far and have gotten some nice greens but no blues yet. Curious as to whether or not I'm wasting my time.

Concerning the legitimacy of the loot table on wowdb.com, I'm finding items that are on it's loot table but not on wowhead.com's. The empty poison vials are shown to drop on the former site, but are not included on the latter's. There are comments that confirm Blackvenom dropping on wowhead.com even though it's not on the loot table.

I spent some time farming on the PTR since my sub is down at the moment. I'm getting poison vials and silver/copper in almost every single box, I've seen some gems but no greens or blues yet. According to wowdb.com, the blade has a 0.02% chance to be found in the chest. One would have to be very lucky to find one right away (if blackvenom was in fact on the loot table). Otherwise I could see a dedicated person going through over 1,000 boxes before they see the dagger.

I just wanted to put this info out there to see if anyone has tried this method already; to the people that didn't know: maybe one of you will be willing to grind enough boxes to find the dagger and can confirm it on the site. Until then I suppose it's just a theory.

-M

you have a minimum of a 2009 WoW join date plus almost 11k achievement points and still clueless on how the drop system works in this game??And all those people tagging along with you....

Here is a hint. It wont drop. It is a mob specific drop. Like a shadowfang. Only drops from a specific mob/area. In this case-mob only. Rohh the silent. His ilvl is too low plus The Shattering modified every rare mob's loot table to not even have their items. Even if somehow, magically Rohh got his ilvl upgraded to where he could drop the blade-he wouldn't simply because it no longer exists in ''his database''.

Another useless piece of info-only 2 rare mobs retained their preShattering items Skhowl and Lo'Grosh.

you have a minimum of a 2009 WoW join date plus almost 11k achievement points and still clueless on how the drop system works in this game??And all those people tagging along with you....

Here is a hint. It wont drop. It is a mob specific drop. Like a shadowfang. Only drops from a specific mob/area. In this case-mob only. Rohh the silent. His ilvl is too low plus The Shattering modified every rare mob's loot table to not even have their items. Even if somehow, magically Rohh got his ilvl upgraded to where he could drop the blade-he wouldn't simply because it no longer exists in ''his database''.

Another useless piece of info-only 2 rare mobs retained their preShattering items Skhowl and Lo'Grosh.

You misunderstand the point of this thread. Read the previous posts before making a comment.

-M

I understand your whole post. I read every post in this thread. About someone clueless how items drop managed to find a misinformative website that has their data wrong,and concluded that it can possibly drop and then posted his theorycraft here. Do you understand that Rohh the Silent was the only source of the blade in classic/bc/Wotlk? Do you understand what is a mob specific drop?
No junkboxes can contain your blackvenom blade, just like no junkboxes can contain a Shadowfang.Apply same to BvB as to Sfang.

Someone mustve killed him and opened a lockbox at the same time.
Its like how wowhead generates their item drops sometimes-someone prospects or mines high level gems and kills mobs at the same time-it registers into their database as dropping.

Good example -http://www.wowhead.com/item=12800 explain to me how does it drop from those mobs? Someone mined Thorium Veins. Now apply your ''theory'' here. I have just given you that that information about Blackvenom blade on wowdb is invalid.

Again.These are probably wasted words because this is Twinkinfo but ill try to drill it into your head anyways while crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Wowdb.com may contain inaccurate information, though that does not account for the fact that there are people posting on wowhead saying they found the dagger in a box.

You say that they "must have killed him and opened the box at the same time." Seems to me that must be a pretty common situation that a person happens to have a junkbox to loot as they kill a specific rare. Note my sarcasm, as I do not see how your scenario may have happened multiple times.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Shadowfang has ever been found in a chest or in a box. Unless the people on wowhead are very confused about what they experienced or are outright lying, that puts Shadowfang in a different category as BFB since the dagger had been previously found within a junkbox, whereas Shadowfang always was looted from mobs and nothing else. You cannot use the same logic when it comes to the sources of these particular items.

-M

Are you just trolling right now?

I have just given you over two paragraphs and essays of explanations why and how it cannot drop unless people start wrting mass tickets to place it back in.I have even bolded the question asking if you understood what a mob specific drop is. Apparently not.

On the sfang. Shadowfang has never been found in a box even though a few wowhead comments state that it has. It can only drop off lvl 21s-and there are only 4-5 of them because of its ilvl.Because shadowfang is a zone drop only available in Sfang keep. And Blackvenom Blade is a mob only drop.
Yes people find random daggers in juckboxes, like greens and World Drop BoE blues, but not zone drops/mob specific drops.I just cant make it any more clear for you.

Also people can say a lot of things. Are you seriously that gullible irl? What If I just said im a 100 year old female with 5 grandchildren would you believe that?

Link where it specifies Blackvenom Blade is a mob specific drop limiting it to drop off only one mob. I have been linking the sites where I'm getting my information from; in addition I could find the quotes where it says that the dagger comes from a box if you want to see. To back up your point you say people claim Shadowfang drops from a box as well... can you supply the thread with those claims in the form of quotes? My point is, seems to me you're just talking nonsense to back yourself up.

The sword cuts both ways. Why should I take your word as golden? If you you're going to tell me it's mob specific, back it up to solidify your claim.

-M

Edit: This is an informative thread, not a pissing match. If you're going to contradict what I'm saying there's no need to antagonize.

Alright man, I agree I was a bit harsh with the clueless comment, but it's tough for me to be nice to someone who's too lazy to either read what i wrote, or too lazy to do a little bit of research and understand game basics.

Im gonna have to try to explain this to you one more time. This time il break down whats a uncommon green item/ BoE world drop/Zone Drop/Static Mob Specific Loot. You must understand what is Monsterlevel and Itemlevel..Most mobs ilvl is about the same as their Monsterlvl, or slightly lower. Every monster has a range of assigned mlvls assigned starting at 2.

Example:Bard's boots-ilvl 16 can drop from lvl 15-18 random mobs.

Green random items(called uncommon)- items with random modifiers drop off random mobs/lockboxes. In very rare cases specific mob only loot.
Item suffix - Wowpedia - Your wiki guide to the World of Warcraft

BoE World Drops(called Rare)-Blue Colored Items, their stats do not vary, and they are found in their appropriate ilvl and monster Treasure Class. Ex gutt

Zone Drop-Zone drops are like partial world drops. They have a small chance to drop off any enemy, but only within a specific zone, instance or area

Static drop-A drop that only comes from a specific mob or group of mobs.

In this case, Blackvenom Blade is a Static Drop. Every single Rare Mob got an update to their Treasure Class somewhere around patch 1.something and received one or two items unique only to them. Rohh the Silent also had a Cloak drop -Cloak of Night

The Shattering destroyed every rare classic mobs loot tables except for 2- Skhowl and Log'Rosh. Notice they are level 27 rares, yet their static drops are ilvl 36. Skhowl was a 36 rare Preshattering.and Lo'Grosh was a lvl 39.For some reason they retained their old items.

Sources
Blackvenom Blade - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft
WoW Blackvenom Blade - Items - World of Warcraft Database - MMO DB
Blackvenom Blade - Item - World of Warcraft

oh and..quotes of clueless people saying they got a shadowfang from a chest/a mob in gnomer/whatever.Wowhead it.The sword has almost 500 comments.. I gave up on the 2nd page , if you find it fun to read retarded false statements -then sure scroll through more pages yourself

By bangy (11,299 – 2·16·85) on 2006/12/08 (Patch 2.0.1) Report
this also drops off random leper gnomes outside Gnomeregan, that's how I got mine. Another great sword is Searing Blade, but that's a 2-hander.
In my realm it's about 20g on the AH.

By Buella (131 – 1·1) on 2007/04/27 (Patch 2.0.12) Report

I got my Shadowfang from one of the grave robbers in Raven Hill Cemetery west of Darkshire.

By Kojac (1,031 – 14) on 2008/08/21 (Patch 2.4.3) Report

may be dropping from outside SFK now, http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/5461/shadowfanginbfdgd6.jpg

was posted to the Stormstrike (US) Battlegroup forums

Wow this thread got aggressive, chill out folks. Has anyone considered simply asking a GM about this? Of course GMs aren't infallible but I recall there have been other instances where people have been able to get them to confirm/deny whether certain drops are still obtainable. That might be a potential way to settle this more easily and perhaps save some of you a lot of time.

Users who are viewing this thread