Been gone for years, would like to start again.

ascoot

Legend
I have a few questions for anyone able to help.

I played most x0-x9 brackets years ago. My favorite was 80-84 though which I guess would have been during cataclysm. I can't recall off the top of my head which expansion that was.

Are twinks still alive, and do battlegrounds still have options to turn off xp?

Are brackets still set up like this? i.e. 90-94, 95-99, etc?

I heard theres a free-to-play version of WoW? What are the details of this in regard to twinking?

I would like to play possibly 95-99. Can I play in regular battlegrounds with non-twinks, or do they force you into non-exp bgs?

Thank you so much - I know this is a lot.

I think the only playable bracket is 20-29 , because f2p play there. (locked exp bg)

You will get lvl up if you queue on leveling bgs (which are separate from locked bgs)

Brackets were remerged so it is now 10-19 and so on.

19's have arenas popping regularly, and scheduled BGs
29's are very active in both arenas and BGs since of the F2P Influx.
39's are arenas only to my knowledge
49's are lol nope
59's are lol nope
60's are active in arenas, scheduled BGs and PvE
70's are as 60's
80's I'm not sure
90's I'm not sure.

To my knowledge, anything below, 90(?) or MoP is already upgraded to MoP with some starter edition they released. I believe you might be able to participate with the 90-99 bracket if you decided to twink a character with a MoP capped account.

Brackets were remerged so it is now 10-19 and so on.

19's have arenas popping regularly, and scheduled BGs
29's are very active in both arenas and BGs since of the F2P Influx.
39's are arenas only to my knowledge
49's are lol nope
59's are lol nope
60's are active in arenas, scheduled BGs and PvE
70's are as 60's
80's I'm not sure
90's I'm not sure.

To my knowledge, anything below, 90(?) or MoP is already upgraded to MoP with some starter edition they released. I believe you might be able to participate with the 90-99 bracket if you decided to twink a character with a MoP capped account.

so do they still separate xp on/xp off into individual bgs?

EXP on and EXP off are two different BGs. You spend 10g in org or stormwind to turn off experience gain.

90-99 is active. Also all characters scale to x9 in each bracket and all gear item levels scale as well. Example in 20-29 all characters scale to 29 and all gear scales to 34.

Starter Edition Accounts (Free-to-play) characters cap at 20 bit scale to 29 in battlegrounds and arena skirmishes. Same gear scaling as above. However they have restrictions: no access to mail, trades, auction house or guilds. They also have caps of 10 gold and 100 professions.

Probably better to play the 80-89 bracket than the 90-99 bracket. There are MoP ilvl 450 boe blues that you can equip at 80. The 640 or whatever WoD boe blues require level 91.

With the way stats scale, even after the squish, they have diminishing returns. You might need 24 strength to increase your DPs by 2% or whatever at one level, but you might need 48 to get a 2% increase just a few levels higher.

Basically, sitting at the bottom of the bracket with the highest possible ilvl is ideal. At 90, with ilvl 525, you might be fine, but at 96 with ilvl 540, your damage is going to be significantly less.

It's why you feel like a king when you first start leveling an expac, but halfway through, you hit like a wet noodle.

I was pretty decked out when I started the 85-90 trek. My ilvl barely increased by the time I hit 90, and things that were a cakewalk at 85 became significantly more difficult.

It's stupid, but it's the system. Your relative strength increases exponentially from 1-10. After that, with diminishing returns, you ALWAYS are relatively weaker every time you ding, from 11 all the way up to 100. It's the hamster wheel hook that Blizzard has baked into the game. Always gotta get that next piece of gear.

And that is why I would rather play at 20 indefinitely than level up. Once you get BiS, or at least close, the toon is complete. No gear grind. Heck, even when I'm subbed, I find myself making 20s, and then comes the inevitable question: why am I paying for this when I could be doing the exact same thing for free?

Sorry for the long-winded post. Hope it helped. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you still sneak into the xp on brackets and have xp turned off with a macro at the vendor? 10 lock was hilarious fun

Probably better to play the 80-89 bracket than the 90-99 bracket. There are MoP ilvl 450 boe blues that you can equip at 80. The 640 or whatever WoD boe blues require level 91.

With the way stats scale, even after the squish, they have diminishing returns. You might need 24 strength to increase your DPs by 2% or whatever at one level, but you might need 48 to get a 2% increase just a few levels higher.

Basically, sitting at the bottom of the bracket with the highest possible ilvl is ideal. At 90, with ilvl 525, you might be fine, but at 96 with ilvl 540, your damage is going to be significantly less.

It's why you feel like a king when you first start leveling an expac, but halfway through, you hit like a wet noodle.

I was pretty decked out when I started the 85-90 trek. My ilvl barely increased by the time I hit 90, and things that were a cakewalk at 85 became significantly more difficult.

It's stupid, but it's the system. Your relative strength increases exponentially from 1-10. After that, with diminishing returns, you ALWAYS are relatively weaker every time you ding, from 11 all the way up to 100. It's the hamster wheel hook that Blizzard has baked into the game. Always gotta get that next piece of gear.

And that is why I would rather play at 20 indefinitely than level up. Once you get BiS, or at least close, the toon is complete. No gear grind. Heck, even when I'm subbed, I find myself making 20s, and then comes the inevitable question: why am I paying for this when I could be doing the exact same thing for free?

Sorry for the long-winded post. Hope it helped. :)

The way items and characters are now scaling in instanced PvP, I don't believe this is the case any longer. In same gear the only difference would be the higher level character has access to more abilities.

hmm, this is the first i've read about trial account twinking.. is that even what twinking is about? my friend told me trials have limited features and not able to obtain all the enchants which twinks use? these trial twinks are missing a trick.. why not pay and get all the benefits?! Some seem really proud of their 'twinked characters which is good to see but in the end are always weaker than someone who lvls to 29? I don't get it.

hmm, this is the first i've read about trial account twinking.. is that even what twinking is about? my friend told me trials have limited features and not able to obtain all the enchants which twinks use? these trial twinks are missing a trick.. why not pay and get all the benefits?! Some seem really proud of their 'twinked characters which is good to see but in the end are always weaker than someone who lvls to 29? I don't get it.

For fun and the challenge.

For fun and the challenge.

Well it seems most people have that mindset. From an outsider's perspective, it seems you are one happy family looking out for each other. If you are playing a weaker character I suppose you do have to act as a group rather than alone. Strength in numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread