Arcane, Fire, or Frost?

...for a 19 mage?

I'm going for more of a bazooka, stacking spell power hardcore.

Glyphs too?

On my mage i got arcane missiles to crit 125+(around 300-400 total dmg done usually) with 1 tick when using the arcane missiles glyph and the specs survivability is nice because of the Magic Absorption and Frostbite(assuming you would use 7/0/3 talent spec)

Frost cannon spec, doesnt do nearly as much dmg but is op in arena because you can kite and because of the healing reducing talent Permafrost(this is the spec i used in arena 0/0/10 but you can also use 2/0/8 which helps against priests alot)

Frost nova glyph is used on these specs because it will help against classes you really need to keep the distance from and only fireball glyph is viable competitor to be used since (fireball will still sadly do more dmg than frostbolt) there really arent many "twink glyphs" to 19's

Thankyou very much, Subutex.

Yes, I agree with the glyphs... For Minor it's a joke- either Penguin or Slow Fall.

Unfortunately, at 19, mages don't get any real +crit talents... Although "Ice Shards" does provide a nice boost.

If fireball is doing so much more, why not roll fire? Arcane is nice, damage wise, but with a fireball+fireblast combo, you're spending almost as much mana as arcane missiles, comparable damage, and not having to sit like a duck for 5 seconds.

i agree with you, glass cannon spec fire truly does most dmg but thats because you can get 190+ fire dmg from gear + fire potion(+10 fire spell power), you cant get nearly as much to arcane or frost because there are no of the arcane/frost available(with exception of gloves and wrist which give you 4 more spell power with the cost of +2 spirit and +9 intellect) but the reason i favor arcane over fire is its ability to survive better against other casters and against locks for example you still get dmg trough with arcane missiles + fire blast combo when you cant cast that 2-2.5second fireball(due to fear spam)

Frost has the healing reducing talent which on 5v5,3v3,2v2 or premades against healers is quite nice when your not the only one to dmg the target because as i have said before, frost crits are around 180-250 which is an average hit to a fire mage(ranks are fucked on 19 and 39 where you get 1 rank higher fireball than frostbolt, in 29 and 49 its reverse)

when talking about pure dmg, nothing on a mage in 19 can compete with Fire, Arcane can get to nearly to the same numbers but with higher mana cost and Frost isnt competitive in pure dmg but when having someone to back up your dmg, your enemies are screwd :)

Hmmmm, good point.

I will have to try this frost spec, after all, it is the PvP spec.

How did you get the 180-250? If that same character, geared and specced appropriately, were to cast fireball- what would it be hitting?

I don't have access to BoA items, and quite frankly I don't like 'em- but have a quick look at my plan:

character planner . 19 mageee . chardev seven

Ignore the missing head and trinket... Hehe, I'm going for the fishing hat and grandmaster trinket. What do you think of that? Like I said, full blown glass cannon.

Audiofreak said:
Hmmmm, good point.

I will have to try this frost spec, after all, it is the PvP spec.

How did you get the 180-250? If that same character, geared and specced appropriately, were to cast fireball- what would it be hitting?

I don't have access to BoA items, and quite frankly I don't like 'em- but have a quick look at my plan:

character planner . 19 mageee . chardev seven

Ignore the missing head and trinket... Hehe, I'm going for the fishing hat and grandmaster trinket. What do you think of that? Like I said, full blown glass cannon.

Staff of the Blessed Seer

Eliot said:
If that's supposed to be a frost mage, everything is wrong.

LOL, that was my fire plan...

It's very early days, so I'll muck around with the fire and frost, and see what's cracking.

Sorry, mis read it you caught me before I edited it :)

[item]Reinforced Woolen Shoulders[/item]

[item]Jutebraid Gloves[/item]

Eliot said:
[item]Reinforced Woolen Shoulders[/item]

[item]Jutebraid Gloves[/item]

^^Pro.

Jutebraid, for only that 2 more armor and that nasty quest- I think I'll leave that one out.

jutebraids are op looking +2 more armor, they are must have just for cosmetic reasons :D

otherwise the chardev is quite good looking now,change [ITEM]20427[/ITEM] to [ITEM]45626[/ITEM] for hit and put +5 all resist imo(70 armor is good too but casters are always a bigger concern since cant kite them)

well without berserking,feast,flag carrier debuff the crits were ~180-225 and up from there depending on the buffs i had or the debuffs my target had. To answer your second question about the fireball hits i would say its around 200-250.

Im sorry but i cant give exact numbers of the dmg output because i have quit playing and cant access my twink anymore.

Hehe, crazy twinks... I'm going to be deviate delighted 24/7, lol.

It's only 2.36% at level 19, you sure it'll make more of a difference than 1 SP and 2 Spirit?

Thankyou very much, that helps put things into perspective. The mage is the only character I haven't played extensively.

Head: Lucky Fishing Hat

Neck: Thick Bronze Necklace

Shoulders: Reinforced Woolen Shoulders

Back: Battle Healer's Cloak

+5 All Resistances

Robe: Inferno Robe

+150 Health

Wrist: Crystalline Cuffs

+15 Spell Power

Hands: Serpent Gloves

+20 Fire Spell Power

Waist: Shimmering Sash of Fiery Wrath

Legs: Shimmering Trousers of Fiery Wrath

Reinforced (+24 Armor)

Feet: Spidersilk Boots

+7 Stamina

Ring: Advisor's Ring

Ring: Bronze Band of Force

Trinket: Insignia of the Horde

Trinket: Arena Grand Master

Two Hand: Staff of the Blessed Seer

+30 Spell Power

Ranged: Banshee Rod of the Sun

Best, excluding BoA, 19 fire twink gear?

...also excluding the 2 armor bonus from Jutebraid.

Users who are viewing this thread