3 irl friends starting in the 40's bracket

Monkeyarr

Legend
Just starting to get back into wow after being in boot camp for a few months. 2 of my rl friends I already have 70 and 60 twinks so we want to get back into the lower level twink brackets. I used to play at this level back in bc on a rogue and had a blast so hopefully it's relatively the same as before.

I'm hoping you guys on here can answer a few of my questions:

1. What are the "powerhouse" classes that are in this bracket? We're hoping to avoid making those classes and play some classes that require some skill. I remember war's and shammy's dominating back in bc but that probably changed.

2. Since we're rl friends, we'll be playing together a lot so we're hoping to make a bit of a 3's team of sorts that would compliment each other pretty well. What would be a couple good combo's that we could accomplish that idea with?

3. And finally, how are the queue times in this bracket? Is it relatively steady throughout the day or do you have to queue at specific times to get games to pop?

Thanks for any help and I'll be seeing ya'll in bg's in the next few days!

Welcome back! If you haven't played in 49s since before the No-XP patch, a lot changed. 49s are the hardest-hitting bracket of any of the XP-off brackets (i.e. highest damage-to-healing ratio). I have a blast in them, but you won't want to get into the battlegrounds without getting 95% geared. Shoot for a 4K health minimum to avoid getting 2-shotted. To answer your questions in order:

1) Current OP classes include paladins and to some degree, hunters.

2) While I don't have an answer for that, I recommend checking in on the official WoW forums' 49 thread: 49 Bracket [Mon, Thur, Sat @ 8PM CST] v2.0 - Forums - World of Warcraft

3) 49s currently play Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays starting at 10pm EST/7pm PST.

I hope this helps!

pallys should have gotten their OP turned down since 4.1 added a 20 second cool down to word of glory, and although they can still hit hard it's largely based on RNG and/or a lot of ramp up time for 3 holy power.

rogues are still strong, but really shine with another dps partner. if the rogue and other partner time attacks you can give a one two punch that'll global almost anyone, but alone they can be a bit squishy

warriors are more dependent on having a pocket healer than ever, but can be strong if they roll with support. so warrior + healer might be good for 2 of you, and the third could be ranged with cc like a mage (pretty high skill cap, but amazing once youre skilled with it), or warlock. warrior + priest/pally/shaman + mage/lock would be pretty good for rolling around in a pack of 3 imo and add good support to the team as a whole.

Awesome, thanks for the help so far! I think one of my friends is set on making a rogue and the other is leaning towards hunter. So that leaves me to choosing what to play and I'm kind of thinking shammy because I want to go enhance but going resto or another class for heals would probably be better as far as keeping our group solid. Any advice as to what class would be best for heals?

Monkeyarr said:
Awesome, thanks for the help so far! I think one of my friends is set on making a rogue and the other is leaning towards hunter. So that leaves me to choosing what to play and I'm kind of thinking shammy because I want to go enhance but going resto or another class for heals would probably be better as far as keeping our group solid. Any advice as to what class would be best for heals?

If you can convince them to drop down into the 39 bracket you can get games every day for about 5-6 hours, instead of once or twice a week. Also things are a little more balanced, at least you dont get globalled as quickly. Look into the pages on the official forums for an idea of how each play out. It just seems like it might be a lot of work for not a whole lot of game time. Also its the first bracket to be able to use tbc enchants so they scale better here then at level 49.

Yeah after doing a bit more research, it seems like this bracket is a bit dead compared to other brackets. I'll continue doing research for the rest of the night and decide what to do in a bit because we hope to start up tomorrow.

we play 3 days a week for several hours each night. please dont come in here and lie to change peoples minds. i had no idea 39s played that much, but other than that, 19, and 70...49 is all thats left afaik. and its probably my favorite of them all, probably biased since it was my first bracket tho

I was not trying to lie at all. As far as I know 39s had a pretty active bracket before cataclysm launched as well. Also when I looked into 49s I was told there are classes that basically one shot things. So its a little easier to survive at 39. If you can check out shooks stream whenever he is on, he streams live footage 3-4 nights a week, or he had been anyway. Also as far as im aware there is very few abilities 49s get that 39s dont, except for the fact that 49s play with quicker mounts.

Pilgrim, Falkor, it sounds like you both are working from "what others said" about the opposite bracket. I play in both brackets, so here's a "live comparison".

49s and 39s both got games before cata. 49s currently get a solid three days a week starting at 10pm EST (and were one of the first brackets to come back to life after cata), and 39s worked their way up to getting daily games again, starting at 9pm EST.

Nobody gets "one-shot" in 49s unless they come unprepared, which does happen to 49s who don't do their homework about the bracket first. Yes, 49s do hit really hard, but part of that is, frankly, better focus fire and team coordination in the bracket.

39s, while they are not the first bracket to use TBC enchantments (29s get that distinction), do have better survivability than 49s. 39s are also easier to gear for (actually, any bracket is easier to gear for than 49s, with the possible exception of the 60-64 bracket).

Both brackets have defining characteristics that set them apart from each other and from other live brackets.

As others have suggested, why choose, when you can play them both? (all!) I can heartily recommend both brackets.

People don't get 1 shot at 49s, they get 2 shot. Big. Fucking. Difference. lulz

Even though I've been a supporter of 49s for a few years now, I strongly advise you to stay AWAY from this bracket until Blizzard starts balancing the lower brackets. Despite what you may have been told or what you may have seen on the WoW forums in the 49 thread, the bracket has been dying an extremely slow and painful death ever since late WoTLK because the class imbalance keeps getting worse and worse and worse. Every thing does so much damage in this bracket it barely requires any train of thought whatsoever to do damage. I've gotten absolutely obliterated on vodkatonics and other lovely alcoholic beverages many times, gotten on for 49 nights, and just 2 shot people as Feral. I'd say the average crit for a big ability is in the ballpark 2k-2.3k (Ret is doing almost 3k Templar's Verdict crits, Aimed Shot crits for any where from 3k to 4k). The average health pool is 4k. You do the math.

Hotpockets said:
People don't get 1 shot at 49s, they get 2 shot. Big. Fucking. Difference. lulz

Even though I've been a supporter of 49s for a few years now, I strongly advise you to stay AWAY from this bracket until Blizzard starts balancing the lower brackets. Despite what you may have been told or what you may have seen on the WoW forums in the 49 thread, the bracket has been dying an extremely slow and painful death ever since late WoTLK because the class imbalance keeps getting worse and worse and worse. Every thing does so much damage in this bracket it barely requires any train of thought whatsoever to do damage. I've gotten absolutely obliterated on vodkatonics and other lovely alcoholic beverages many times, gotten on for 49 nights, and just 2 shot people as Feral. I'd say the average crit for a big ability is in the ballpark 2k-2.3k (Ret is doing almost 3k Templar's Verdict crits, Aimed Shot crits for any where from 3k to 4k). The average health pool is 4k. You do the math.

Might be time for a break from 49s for you, pockets. You spend more time trashing on the "bracket you love" than doing anything else for 49s. Can't say I blame you, it has to suck to see the downward slide in skill as new people pile back in and older people readjust. All the lower brackets are suffering the same thing. But every time you come in for games, you leave dejected.

Just sayin'.

Taitaih said:
Except for warlocks, we crit for 1k. :p

And Boomkins! :p

Bwappo said:
Might be time for a break from 49s for you, pockets. You spend more time trashing on the "bracket you love" than doing anything else for 49s. Can't say I blame you, it has to suck to see the downward slide in skill as new people pile back in and older people readjust. All the lower brackets are suffering the same thing. But every time you come in for games, you leave dejected.

Just sayin'.

There is nothing left of 49s except the derp 2 shotting that goes on and a bunch of zerging that creates an illusion of competition among the remaining ~25 people left who actually queue up on nights. As an extremely competitive gamer, it is insulting to all other gamers every where like myself to claim that that the games going on at 49 are "extremely competitive" (lol it's actually being said over TS). Granted, that some of the games are actually close, but the majority of them are just awful now that imbalance has made it so the lowest common denominator can practically instantly kill some one.

I've 2shot people ever since I started in the bracket 5 years ago, and if it's become worse after the influx of new talents and improved old ones, it doesn't seem worth it. not that we have any games on this side of the pond of anyways

guess I'll just stick with my online shooters

tweedledum said:
I've 2shot people ever since I started in the bracket 5 years ago, and if it's become worse after the influx of new talents and improved old ones, it doesn't seem worth it. not that we have any games on this side of the pond of anyways

guess I'll just stick with my online shooters

What class did you play...? Rogue? Granted 49s have always been bursty, it wasn't THAT bad when there were still leg kits and librams. The imbalance now is 3 times worse than what it used to be. x.x

Hotpockets said:
There is nothing left of 49s except the derp 2 shotting that goes on and a bunch of zerging that creates an illusion of competition among the remaining ~25 people left who actually queue up on nights. As an extremely competitive gamer, it is insulting to all other gamers every where like myself to claim that that the games going on at 49 are "extremely competitive" (lol it's actually being said over TS). Granted, that some of the games are actually close, but the majority of them are just awful now that imbalance has made it so the lowest common denominator can practically instantly kill some one.

I don't know where you're gonna find what you're looking for, then. The imbalance is significantly worse below 49s, and the skills are significantly worse above 49s. Absolutely, 49s are far from a competitive level right now. But the scary thing is that 49s currently play at a higher competitive level than any other active XP-off bracket. Only rated 70s could be better (you'd have to comment on that, as I haven't played rated 70s).

Hopefully you do find what you're looking for, but right now, it sounds like it ain't here.

Hotpockets said:
What class did you play...? Rogue? Granted 49s have always been bursty, it wasn't THAT bad when there were still leg kits and librams. The imbalance now is 3 times worse than what it used to be. x.x

premed+hemo, ass/sub daggers(no ambush) and fury warrior, the dual crusader + stacking enrage, death wish and wsg zerg kind

Bwappo said:
But the scary thing is that 49s currently play at a higher competitive level than any other active XP-off bracket.

False. Even pug BG 70s are so much more balanced.

Bwappo said:
Only rated 70s could be better (you'd have to comment on that, as I haven't played rated 70s).

Rated 70s are a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread