29 Ambush Rogue

i'm trying to gear up an ambush rogue for 29. not sure what to get. i'll probably be rolling with this spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=f0hZZcbfkhM

faction: alliance (gnome)

ideal gear stats: agil = crit > str = AP > stam

i'm looking for mainly BoP gear. perfection isn't what i want. i just want gear that's easy to get. also, since 3.1 is coming up, i won't be getting enchants until then.

projected gearlist:

9/9 hat of the tiger (any good BoP alternates?)

WSG necklace

forest tracker epaulets

5/5 cloak of the tiger (have it). if i get eng high enough i'll get parachute cloak.

raptor hunter tunic

bands of serrakis

tiger hunter gloves

AB belt

triprunner dungarees

AB boots

charged gear of eluding (have it) / charged gear of strength (have it) / WSG ring

MH weapon : torturing poker (have it)

OH weapon : sentinal's sword

ranged: the bow from BFD with 5 agility

any suggestions on how to improve this gear/spec without running gnomer millions of times?

inb4noskill, this is just for fun.

rylsky said:
race: nightelf

prof: eng/herb or eng/ski

glyphs

glyph of gouge/distract or vanish

talents

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=fZZcbfbhG

gear

9/9 tiger/monkey/catseye ultra goggles

wsg necklace/barbaric iron collar

forest tracker epaulets/watchman pauldrons/cloaked shoulderpads of bandit/power

cutthroat's vest of power/agility/monkey/raptor hunter tunic

archer's bracers of power/emissary cuffs of power/barbaric bracers[3.1]

tiger hunter gloves/dog training gloves/razzeric's racing grips/wolfclaw gloves

ab belt

infiltrator pants of power/triprunner dungarees/ferine leggings

charged gear of tiger/agility/wsg ring/golden dragon ring/thunderbrow ring

mh weapon: toxic revenger

oh weapon: sentinel's blade

throat piercers/naga heartpiercer

thanks

:D

if i get it right: AP/crit > all?

and crit > AP?

ok, will make suggestions after a little research.

green monkey / tunika of westfall

if 35+ enchants and the item remains in 3.1 raptor hunter

AB boots

dog training / tiger hunter

too low on health and tigers are gone? wolfclaw

pathfinder

triprunner / ferine imo triprunner. lose 4AP and gain 5agi and 6stam

forest tracker

too low on HP? cloaked

AB belt

serrakis

if BC enchants are still possible arcane runed with AP...

6stam 4agi 8AP ... the new barbaric

toxic revenger is 0.2sec slower -> benefits more from AP, but with 450AP this is only an advantage of 6,5dph. i don't want to do the math, but the poker can make up for it with his proc and dps. besides this, the proc from revenger is sht.

shadowmancer > revenger imo

sentinels

protectors

charged gear

and you can not gouge...

besides this 5dmg every 5sec will allow everybody to bandage between ticks.

That is what rupture is for, lol.

Torturing Poker>all

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I prefer backstab spec myself but when I went ambush, I picked up claw of the shadowmancer, put +5 damage on it, plus a shaprening stone, I was hitting crits in the 1000s easy. If you're going ambush spec its all about that first ambush, poker is better for backstab and long fights imo, but shadowmancer with +5 damage will help that initial burst. You may want to try both yourself.

ok here's what i've come up with

9/9 of the tiger

WSG neck

Forest tracker epaulets

5/5 cloak of the tiger for now, parachute cloak once i get eng up there.

cutthroat's vest of power (if i get it) / tunic of westfall (if i don't get CVoP and 3.1 changes) / raptor hunter tunic (if i don't get CVoP and 3.1 doesn't change)

barbaric bracers

dog training gloves/tiger hunter gloves (if changes don't occur to enchants)

AB belt

triprunner for balance, ferine for taking down important targets.

AB boots

WSG ring / thunderbrow ring (if i get it) / charged gear of strength (if i get a better charged gear, i'll roll with that. don't plan on grinding for monkey/agility ones though)

MH: torturing poker (i realize it's not the best for ambushes, but it is close, and it is much better after ambushes. i don't feel like carrying around a few different weapons with me TBH)

i can't find one, but if anyone has a macro that swaps weapons after an ambush i would consider getting toxic revenger/claw of the shadowmancer

OH: sentinal's blade

ranged: naga heartpiercer

thanks for all the suggestions

Druiddroid said:
ok here's what i've come up with

dog training gloves

charged gear of strength (if i get a better charged gear, i'll roll with that. don't plan on grinding for monkey/agility ones though)

MH: torturing poker (i realize it's not the best for ambushes, but it is close, and it is much better after ambushes. i don't feel like carrying around a few different weapons with me TBH)

i can't find one, but if anyone has a macro that swaps weapons after an ambush i would consider getting toxic revenger/claw of the shadowmancer

ranged: naga heartpiercer

get either razzs or tiger gloves to gain hit if it is possible after patch. maybe tigers is easier as you already grind the STV.

maybe you can find a thunderbrow

why not using a simple weapon switch macro? and do not switch right after the ambush...get another instant out of your energy and the swap to a poker with lifestealing/fiery.

there is no reason to switch before dps comes into account and maxdmg slightly fades away^^

get additional throat piercers

Mangone said:
This is a great weapon for exactly that use.

rylsky said:
you are right but i like the proc from toxic revenger because people cant bandage or stealth

Are talking about bandaging while you're fighting them? If they have time to bandage while you're fighting them then you're not doing your job as a rogue. You kill them before they have time to heal or bandage. No one should ever be able to bandage with you on them.

Stealth? If you are fighting another rogue, rule #1 is always to rupture their ass so they can't stealth. Its not all about backstab, backstab, ambush. Bleeds are there for a reason.

Bansil said:
get either razzs or tiger gloves to gain hit if it is possible after patch. maybe tigers is easier as you already grind the STV.

maybe you can find a thunderbrow
yeah forgot about thunderbrow, and forgot tiger hunter can take 35+ enchants. razz's just doesn't have the AP i want. i am going to get them though.

why not using a simple weapon switch macro? and do not switch right after the ambush...get another instant out of your energy and the swap to a poker with lifestealing/fiery.

there is no reason to switch before dps comes into account and maxdmg slightly fades away^^

i don't know how to type in macroes :( the only macroes i've ever used are '/bg' ones and another one that destroys marks.

meh. i'm just looking to ambush people. i'm not going to play it too seriously and go 'OMG had i had thrown i would've stopped that bandage!' i'll keep throat piercers in mind though.

if i do ever find a macro that switches weapons i'll probably get toxic revenger because it is BoP (cheaper to get).

it's not like i'm going to be using a weapon besides TP/sent's blade a lot, i mean the procs would only come from ambushes. so it doesn't make a huge difference.

well, if it proccs it is a ~20dmg difference (35 direct dmg <-> 15 dot)

just wait for a cheap BoE...

a macro is easy to find...

somebody did the math on poker vs. claw of the shadowmancer. poker just does more damage overall, even on backstabs and ambushes. for some reason the extra fire damage is also calculated in on the damage multipliers. trust me, poker is the best for everything. :-\

Lloydganks said:
somebody did the math on poker vs. claw of the shadowmancer. poker just does more damage overall, even on backstabs and ambushes. for some reason the extra fire damage is also calculated in on the damage multipliers. trust me, poker is the best for everything. :-\

:confused:

ok, i'll use the poker then

on torturing poker VS claw of the shadowmancer, most of the top BS/amb rogues i have seen in BGs roll the claw of the shadowmancer with +5 weapon dmg enchant. you may want to read the comments on thottbot concerning both weapons. from what i have read the 1.90 speed is what makes the claw outshine the poker on BS/amb and in plain open combat too.

one rogue that comes to mind was TOMRIDDLE 29 human rogue. he has several sets of gear, but when i had a 29 gnome rogue, on BS/amb action, most of the time he had the claw in MH.

Bansil said:

are the razzerics racing grips getting a hit rating added on 3.1?

Users who are viewing this thread