US Some guidance? New member.

Lavosu

Grandfathered
Hey!

Just yesterday I learned of the possibility of 20 tinking without paying a monthly sub. I was an avid WOTLK player, and quit at the start of Cata. Back then I had a 19 tink rogue. However, seeing as you can't play bgs on XP-Locked chars and I don't wanna ruin that one, I've decided to start anew with a new char.

I several questions:

I've been looking around, and it seems the two most popular realms for this particular bracket are Bleeding Hollow and Aerie Peak. Aerie Peak seems to have twice as many ranked players; should I choose this server as my home? Do home servers even matter anymore? I am not aware of any matchmaking changes that may have been done since Cata.

Typically how long are BG queue times? Mostly interested in WSG and AB.

What is gear scaling? I've perused the forums slightly and it seems some gear scales with levels, just like Heirloom gear? How does that work?

Approximately how much gold should I expect to spend if I were to gear a cloth caster(Mage, Priest)?

I've read up on some changes to be done to pvp gear in Legion. Any clue if Arenas will also be "balanced" in the sense that gear will have little to no impact?

Are 20 tink guilds a thing? Groups with whom to pvp with, be it WPVP, BGs, Arenas, etc?

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

Would you say being in a guild is important to the experience?

You can only join BGs and arenas with ppl in your server, correct?

I've received a message through PM about "GF'd" items. These are supposedly unavailable because of a previous expansion. Any clue if any Cloth BIS gear is "GF'd"?

I've started my 10 day WOD trial, so I may be able to get the paid gear before it runs out. Then it'd be dungeon farming for the rest. If I can't finish in time I wouldn't mind paying a 1 month sub to get it done.

Also:

Is it t W ink, or tink? Back when I played I always heard t W ink. However, on these forums I've seen the other. Was I being retarded by changing my spelling? :)

Last edited:
Inferno Robes is about the only cloth thing I can think if that is GF'd.

Servers dont have any impact on q times or anything, it would just get you with a community of people all doing the same thing.

Cost is around 8-10k maybe for a Mage... The biggest being your gift chants. Then magefist gloves and mindthrust bracers.

You need boe gloves to put the stamina armor kit on hence the magefist. Don't bind them, send to your lvl 60, let him put the kit on and send back. Kit won't bind, even though it says it will.

For your 10 day you are going to want to buy all your chants/boes/join a guild (so they can form groups for you). It will be a free for all. Also start a fresh character in said guild and just quest up to 15 and your have enough rep to buy the guild looms.

This should get you close
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blackwing-lair/Tacticz/advanced

Priest you'll want mace and some more stamina, maybe MM shoulders and for sure both stamina trinkets.

Last edited:
I've started my 10 day WOD trial, so I may be able to get the paid gear before it runs out.
I'd recommend while your sub is active, if you have enough resources or old high level toons to craft some consumables that you won't be able to craft later. Some of the items to stockpile for a caster class could be :-
Heavy Runecloth Bandage (although not a requirement if you choose a Priest). You will need to get your lvl 20 up to 225 First Aid to use it
Minor Wizard Oil (unless you take Enchanting as a prof and can make it yourself)
Elixer of Fire Power (if a Fire Mage) etc etc
Just check out the profs and what you can use at 20 and what you will need a higher toon to make for you. There's lots of stuff you can use on different classes, like better Sharpening Stones for sword / dagger classes and that sort of stuff. Buy all your bank slots and get as big a bag as possible in the slots to store these as once they run out, you can't make them anymore or buy them without a sub. Also make some +6 Stam food while your sub is active. Once it becomes inactive, 'Vet' characters have gimped profs which don't work as intended, and you will only be able to make +4 Stam food. The Versatility food you can make and farm mats while unsubbed.

I'd also recommend purchasing the necessary Heirlooms if you can afford them during your trial 10 days or 1 month sub. Heirlooms you may not have purchased since WotLK are for neck, legs and cloak, some of which will require you to be in a guild that can access them I recall. Hashbrowns mentioned this in his post above also ;)

Also unlock your Void Storage in case you want to put some stuff in it when unsub'd, which you can do for 10g. Also, if you have some spare gold, I'd suggest purchasing some items and stockpiling in your bank (resources tab if possible) for future sale should you need quick gold. I stockpiled about 300 Eternium Thread before my sub ended which equates to about 225 gold which I have access to if / when required per Vet toon I have. Just saves time when you want a quick 10g to buy something or to put something in storage etc.

And last thing I'd suggest if you really want to make life easy for yourself, ask a Mage to teleport you to the main city in Pandaria and make it your hearth point. Easier to ask over Trade while your sub is active, otherwise you loose access to Trade Chat when unsubb'd. That place has all the teleporters you need, and you will be able to get to places so much easier if you can get to the Pandaria main city.

Good luck and have fun gearing your Twink (yes it is T w ink).

I'd recommend while your sub is active, if you have enough resources or old high level toons to craft some consumables that you won't be able to craft later. Some of the items to stockpile for a caster class could be :-
Heavy Runecloth Bandage (although not a requirement if you choose a Priest). You will need to get your lvl 20 up to 225 First Aid to use it
Minor Wizard Oil (unless you take Enchanting as a prof and can make it yourself)
Elixer of Fire Power (if a Fire Mage) etc etc
Just check out the profs and what you can use at 20 and what you will need a higher toon to make for you. There's lots of stuff you can use on different classes, like better Sharpening Stones for sword / dagger classes and that sort of stuff. Buy all your bank slots and get as big a bag as possible in the slots to store these as once they run out, you can't make them anymore or buy them without a sub. Also make some +6 Stam food while your sub is active. Once it becomes inactive, 'Vet' characters have gimped profs which don't work as intended, and you will only be able to make +4 Stam food. The Versatility food you can make and farm mats while unsubbed.

I'd also recommend purchasing the necessary Heirlooms if you can afford them during your trial 10 days or 1 month sub. Heirlooms you may not have purchased since WotLK are for neck, legs and cloak, some of which will require you to be in a guild that can access them I recall. Hashbrowns mentioned this in his post above also ;)

Also unlock your Void Storage in case you want to put some stuff in it when unsub'd, which you can do for 10g. Also, if you have some spare gold, I'd suggest purchasing some items and stockpiling in your bank (resources tab if possible) for future sale should you need quick gold. I stockpiled about 300 Eternium Thread before my sub ended which equates to about 225 gold which I have access to if / when required per Vet toon I have. Just saves time when you want a quick 10g to buy something or to put something in storage etc.

And last thing I'd suggest if you really want to make life easy for yourself, ask a Mage to teleport you to the main city in Pandaria and make it your hearth point. Easier to ask over Trade while your sub is active, otherwise you loose access to Trade Chat when unsubb'd. That place has all the teleporters you need, and you will be able to get to places so much easier if you can get to the Pandaria main city.

Good luck and have fun gearing your tink (yes it is T w ink).

Runecloth heals more than heavy Runecloth

There's a tooltip error on the bandages, and thus normal rune cloth bandage heals more.
lol - now I find out :eek:
upload_2016-4-15_9-57-57.png

Just want to add. Pre enchant ur BoAs with different enchants just in case stuff change or want to experiment ( gear too ) .and there is Btag list on this forum. It is always more fun to play with others .

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Also, if you have some spare gold, I'd suggest purchasing some items and stockpiling in your bank (resources tab if possible) for future sale should you need quick gold. I stockpiled about 300 Eternium Thread before my sub ended which equates to about 225 gold which I have access to if / when required per Vet toon I have. Just saves time when you want a quick 10g to buy something or to put something in storage etc.

Also, I think they changed it to where now as long as the toon has more than 10g (Vet) account then you have access to it. Once it falls below 10g, you can no longer acquire more than 10g. So leave a large amount of gold on him and you'll have access to it.

Also, I think they changed it to where now as long as the toon has more than 10g (Vet) account then you have access to it. Once it falls below 10g, you can no longer acquire more than 10g. So leave a large amount of gold on him and you'll have access to it.
I can confirm this. Had enough to purchase a few shirts from dalaran after my sub expired like 3-4 months back.

I just made a new toon on AP. btag is Despiler#1436. Can anyone add me to a vet guild on AP alli side?

Hey!

Just yesterday I learned of the possibility of 20 tinking without paying a monthly sub. I was an avid WOTLK player, and quit at the start of Cata. Back then I had a 19 tink rogue. However, seeing as you can't play bgs on XP-Locked chars and I don't wanna ruin that one, I've decided to start anew with a new char.

I several questions:

I've been looking around, and it seems the two most popular realms for this particular bracket are Bleeding Hollow and Aerie Peak. Aerie Peak seems to have twice as many ranked players; should I choose this server as my home? Do home servers even matter anymore? I am not aware of any matchmaking changes that may have been done since Cata.

What is gear scaling? I've perused the forums slightly and it seems some gear scales with levels, just like Heirloom gear? How does that work?

Approximately how much gold should I expect to spend if I were to gear a cloth caster(Mage, Priest)?

I've read up on some changes to be done to pvp gear in Legion. Any clue if Arenas will also be "balanced" in the sense that gear will have little to no impact?

Are 20 tink guilds a thing? Groups with whom to pvp with, be it WPVP, BGs, Arenas, etc?
Any of those two realms will do, Aerie Peak is said to be the home of f2p's (lvl 20 twinks), while Bleeding Hollow has twinks from every bracket almost. In regards to the queuing system, it doesn't matter what realm you're on.

BG's pop 24/7 now since the merge between xpon and xpoff, and queue times aren't long at all.

Gear doesn't scale anymore. Upon entering instanced PvP you're given a predetermined stat template. The only way you can boost your stats in instanced PvP is by increasing your average ilvl above the threshhold for your bracket (being 34 for the 20-29 bracket afaik). There a numerous threads around XPOff atm explaining it more in detalis.

You can gear a twink in this patch pretty cheap, since enchants doesn't work in PvP, all you really need to do as lvl 20 is get these items; 2x http://www.wowhead.com/item=7337/the-rock http://www.wowhead.com/item=74918/problem-solving-pendant http://www.wowhead.com/item=87213/mist-piercing-goggles and http://www.wowhead.com/item=10035/tuxedo-pants because of their ilvl. Then level engineering to 225, so you can use the belt, boots and cloak (and maybe trinkets). And then you can try and get AGM, until fishing tourny starts again, because the the trinket from winning the tourny will be BiS. Apart from these items, you'll get most items either through random dungeons (the gloves from satchel) or through the BG crates you're rewarded upon winning a BG. Untill you get the dungeon and PvP items, your heirlooms should be fine.

Have fun!

Hey!

I several questions:

1) Realms matter in terms of economy and community. As for twink community, Bleeding Hollow is your choice. It has been the twink hub for quite some time on the US servers.

2) BG queues varies depending on what time of day it is. During prime time, the queue should be either instant or 5-6 minutes. Can depend on faction as well.

3) Gear scaling works the way that everything gets scaled to the heirloom ilvl of each respective bracket. So in 10-19 it would be 24.

4) Correct, gear has little to no impact. As long as you have an item equipped in every slot to trigger the full effect of the stat template.

5) Unsure, since I don't really play US. However, I could imagine it would be a thing. Especially on Bleeding Hollow. Just due to the fact of how big the twinking community is on that server.

The gear does not scale just your stats

The gear will count towards as being ilvl 24 if the item is below that ilvl is what I mean.

You don't actively see it on the item itself or on "stats" (agility etc. which is useless anyways). But it's essentially what's happening.

This is also why some trash white weapons with slow speeds are BiS, because they get scaled up, so their dmg isn't poop + initial swing speed increasing the dmg as well.

Users who are viewing this thread