Of Mounts and Men

solvogero

Legend
This was never really worthy of a guide, but I suppose with recent events I thought I'd spell it out. Note that these are mounts that are currently obtainable by all f2p's.

Mounts:

No Longer Available

Note that Chauffeured Chopper is currently mailed to the toon and therefore not available without some GM sweet talking - hopefully they fix this so its auto-learned like most achievement mounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: On mounts

This post isn't really f2p, but I've been partially sucked back into p2p and I thought I'd spell out why.

I’ve been in love with Heart of Nightwing ever since it was announced. As far as functionality goes, its a completely unique mount and there’s no other ‘available’ mount like it. Its a passenger mount, of which, there’s only a handful in WoW.

Ground Passenger Mounts – These are ALL faction specific. If your main is Alliance (as is my case), your Horde alts can’t get to them.
  • Mammoths from Northrend. There’s 3 each of these and they all require Journeyman riding. (although they are usable by f2p)
  • Engineering mounts. There’s 1 each of these and it also requires Journeyman riding. (although they are usable by f2p) [confirm?]

Flying Passenger Mounts

• Sandstone Drake - This requires Expert riding and can’t be used by F2P.
  • X-53 – This was the old Recruit-A-Friend mount and is no longer available. This requires Apprentice riding and could be used by F2P, assuming you already have it.
  • Heart of Nightwing - This requires Apprentice riding.

I've tried to figure out the cheapest way to get the mount and here's the steps to my game-plan...I started a couple weeks ago when the Battlechest was on super-sale:

1. Free-On my moth-balled main, wait until I get another free 10-day re-try so I can use the recruit-a-friend feature (you have to have an active account to recruit someone). Create a new email address and send the recruit-a-friend invite to the new email address.
  2. $5-Wait for a 75% discount for the Battlechest and buy it on your new account. This gives you 30 days a free playtime on your new account as well. IMO, this is a direct cost for the mount as I already have the Battlechest on my moth-balled p2p account.
  3. $16-After the 30 days of free time has expired on the new account, you purchase your first month of game-time on your new account. This purchase triggers 30 days of free play time on your old ptp account. I don’t really consider this a direct cost for the mount as I get to play my moth-balled main and gather pets, mounts & what-not. During this 30 days I won't be playing my new account, I'll be playing my old account.
  4. $16-You purchase the 2nd 30 days of game time on your new account. This event is what triggers the mount reward. This is a direct cost for the mount as I no longer care about playing on the new account.
  5. Free-wait until I get another 10-day free retry on my main and claim the mount. (not sure about the time-limit on the mount, so I may have to pay $16 for another 30-days on my main). Even if I have to hurry up and buy a 30 days on my main account, I don't consider it a direct cost to the mount as this is a monthly subscription on my main.

So IMO, the cheapest way to get Nightwing will cost $37 and it takes at least 2 months…BUT that would also give my main a month of play time, which I don’t consider a waste of money. Backing that out, I’d spend at least $21 purely for the mount.

Warlock mount isn't showed because it's a spell =).

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
hmmm
hmmm

are the DK mounts the only mounts that DK's can get?

also, when a lock has a felstead, does that mount show up other toons' mount list (just not usable), or does it not show up at all?

Class mounts don't show up at all. Heck, even the DK Gryphon doesn't show up for other DK's. Class mounts are the only mounts to be unique to chars.

Ive got the Heart of Nightwing on my F2P but I wanted the X-53 Touring Rocket instead but my mate bought the 2nd month after itd changed by a couple of days, I was gutted! I Have the Zhevra aswell though from back in 08 or whatever so i just rock that, Im not overly keen on the look of the Nightwing

Ive got the Heart of Nightwing on my F2P but I wanted the X-53 Touring Rocket instead but my mate bought the 2nd month after itd changed by a couple of days, I was gutted! I Have the Zhevra aswell though from back in 08 or whatever so i just rock that, Im not overly keen on the look of the Nightwing
are you english?

I have the nightwing on my account and it's interesting to know that it's the only passenger mount available to f2p! I haven't found that many uses for it though; why do you want to get it so badly?
i def. want a flying passenger mount that i can use on my 10-day retries to fly my little guy around. I know this still leaves me the option of getting the dragon, but this one just looks WAY cooler IMO, and i can sport it off in BG's.

Idk if you mean the crimson charger but These are all my mounts. All the level 40 race mounts are included as well as some possible faction mounts +the batle tanks+ deathcharger.

All in all I think the most you can get is around 65 including the TCG ones
hmm, technically then its pretty much all dropped mounts if you use the idea that you could grind DK's forever on one log-in...assuming no server restarts of course.

i think i should tweak it so that it lists only mounts that are obtainable AND usable by f2p.
hmm.

edit: although the more i think about it, the more i think it's fine as-is since the whole DK thing is grandfathered anyway.

edit: although the more i think about it, the more i think it's fine as-is since the whole DK thing is grandfathered anyway.

You have "the Hallowed" title in your list of available titles when it's gf'd so why not include the mounts available by DK's even though their gf'd? :p

It's not all dropped mounts also cause alot of mounts have a level requirement above level 55 which then a DK couldn't even get. There aren't any mounts that I know of that I'm not aware about being able to get and Including all of them you can get like 65 on ally and like 70 on horde I believe.

Yeah mate I am ahah, are my sentences that poorly constructed?
Not at all, I think he just noticed your expressions. :) I think "I'm gutted." is somewhat characteristic for England, even though I have heard it used in NZ as well.

Yeah mate I am ahah, are my sentences that poorly constructed?
Ha, Yde nailed it on the head! On Youtube, I'm a huge fan of sixtysymbols and I laughed when I heard the same expression at 6min, 42 sec - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cezltcn9Mv0&t=6m42s
(6 minutes, 42 seconds).---for some reason twinkinfo's embed thing doesn't capture the time reference.

I have the nightwing on my account and it's interesting to know that it's the only passenger mount available to f2p! I haven't found that many uses for it though; why do you want to get it so badly?

Use for nightwing: if you dismount in mid air your passenger gets a parachute. this allows jumps in AB and special jumps in WSG.

lol "special jumps"

[MENTION=8102]solvogero[/MENTION], when you say only passenger mount avaliable to f2ps, do you mean only flying passenger mount? i have the three seater mammoth on my f2ps (obtained by my p2p, of course).

As far as uses go, I think the best use of a 3-seat passenger mount is, to bring it out at the lumber mill, wait for people (victims) to inevitably hop in, and then careem to your collective doom. Bwahahaha! *,,,,*

Also, I've noticed when a mount says "requires" this or that. It's often a lie. The only mounts I haven't been able to use on my f2p, are some of the flying mounts, e.g. I can use my sapphire panther on my f2ps, but not my pandaren kite. Go figure.

In addition, wowmounts is grossly inaccurate, it has the brown and tan camels listed as passenger mounts. Stupid heroic runs por nada. Ay dios mio!

Users who are viewing this thread