General Just the Basics: Part 1

Superstylin

Legend
Welcome to Just the Basics: Part 1

In my Just the Basics series I will be covering all basic aspects of gameplay that every player should know. Today, I will be starting off with a basic UI (user interface) setup that includes addons, keybindings, and how to maximize the information available to you.

Contents:

• Addons
  • Keybindings
  • UI Layout

Addons

As most of you know, proper addons is the backbone to a good UI. With battlegrounds especially, the addons you have or do not have can make a big difference in your gameplay.

Here I have compiled a basic list of addons that every player should have.

• Battleground Targets
    Battleground Targets is key for enemy team awareness. It enables you to see the general health of the enemy team, who is dead, their health, comp setup, if they are in range of you or not, and so much more. Having this addon will make a huge difference in your gameplay.​
  • Capping Battleground Timers
    This unique timer addon will let you know important times going on in your battleground. In WSG, it will let you know when the flag is going to be reset and it will also count down the last 3 minutes of the game. This is a small addition to your UI that will help you with timing when you are too busy to pay close attention. *This addon is particularly useful in AB, as it will let you know how much longer to expect in your game, which team will win, and how long till each base caps.​
  • Quartz
    Quartz is a basic casting bar addon that increases the size of your casting bar and displays the cast time. I find this really helpful as it provides information on my cast times as well as general casting information.​
  • SaySapped
    As the title suggests, SaySapped types Sapped in /say to let your nearby allies know that you are sapped.​
  • Tidy Plates
    Tidy Plates is a great addon that improves the standard blizzard "floating health bars" aka. nameplates. This addon will track your dots over multiple enemies as it appears above their heads. If this addon is not for you, I would recommend using the standard nameplates along with PlateBuffs. Either combination should give you the information you need. Using these addons will enhance your field awareness of your pressure and let you know which targets you need to re-apply your dots onto.​
  • OmniCC
    OmniCC, an addon I cannot live without. It displays in nice, large numbers the time remaining on your CC. It helps a lot with timing your abilities with cool-downs and allows you to just glance at your defenses to know if they are ready or how soon they will be ready.​

Keybindings

Keybindings are absolutely a must for every player of WoW. While I must admit, I played the majority of my time spent on WoW clicking, as soon as I started to keybind, my play style improved vastly and I instantly became a better player.

In the lower levels of WoW, keybinding may seem less important to some, due to the low amount of buttons needing to be pressed. The fact is that keybinding is equally important at all levels because your reaction rate with buttons vs. clicking is tremendous. Whether it is spamming your ability, or quickly pressing your keybind to your blink, keybinding your abilities will land you more kills and save your life more than you would ever know.

Here is a popular image displaying a general guide on the location of your keybinds.
9SbPGg8.jpg

The blue keys are your movement keys (QWE are the best keys to move with imo), while the green keys are the optimal keys for you to keybind. What I like to do is place all my spells with a cast time on the buttons 1-4, and place my instant cast spells on R, F, or C so that I can continue to move while casting them.

The red keys are your modifier keys, which allows you to cast spells on yourself, cast spells on your focus target, etc with the press of a button. The pink keys are good keys to bind to your cool-downs or defenses.

While you may not need to use all of the bindings at 19s or 24s, the closer you get to 90 the more keys you will bind. Spending time configuring your keybinds to your liking may take some time, but after they are set up, it will all be worth it.

UI Layout

The UI Layout is mostly built on personal preference, but here is my personal UI to give a demonstration of what one should look like.

pPyZ5DY.jpg

I structured my UI based on what I look at most. I keep my self portrait close to my spell bar to easily keep track of my health / mana, and I also keep my target close by to have quick access.

I keep my BG Targets positioned just to the right of my screen, big enough so I can easily see the enemy team and who is nearby. My focus target is also near the center of my screen, just so I can see if certain players are targeting me or to keep track of the enemies CC.

I personally play on a 13" laptop screen, so all my buttons are quite large so I can easily see everything with detail. If you are playing on a bigger screen, you will generally have more room to test the sizing and spacing of your addons.

The basis of a good UI is all about the accessibility of information. The more information you have access to, the more tools you have to make proper decisions. While my UI may not be perfect, it provides all the information that I need to make my decisions. As I said earlier, while everyone's UI is different, you just need to make sure that it displays everything that it needs to.

Conclusion

That concludes Part 1 of Just the Basics. I hope everyone took something away from that and hopefully you were able to make a few changes to your UI for the better.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reply to this and I will get back to you asap. Your feedback is also welcome! Let me know what you would like to see more of and I will tailor my future articles towards that.

Thanks!
Superstylin

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like you forgot the most important addon off them all... ress timers... It's so usefull specially in premades, knowing when the opponents are ressing is a huge gift and can be helpful in alot of situations and can also easyler bring 30 sec ress timers to your opponents.

But besides that, nice post^^

I feel like you forgot the most important addon off them all... ress timers... It's so usefull specially in premades, knowing when the opponents are ressing is a huge gift and can be helpful in alot of situations and can also easyler bring 30 sec ress timers to your opponents.

But besides that, nice post^^

I did a lot of research into rez timers and came to the conclusion that there were none available. This was for RBGs however, so I am not exactly sure how the rez timers differ. I was told that the mechanics behind the rez timer start and stop were random and only begin after the first kill. There was no specific information regarding how the timers work, only that people have tried to recreate them for an addon but were unsuccessful.

If there is one that works for RBGs, please let me know. If there is one that works for WSG pugs and other random bgs, please post it so I can add it to my section.

Thanks.

Ahh ye you might be right, never did RBGs xD Just twink premades for the 24 bracket.

Great.. this should/could help a lot newer players.. also when they are beeing directed to this site, and see this as one fo the first things :)

Btw. I personally use the addon VialCooldowns, as well... it's basicly, an addon to see cooldowns on, all enemies around you, important stun/interupt/survival abilities, above their floating healthbars ( like the addon you mentioned called Tidyplates.) I don't know if they both work together, or you only can have one. It's awesome as a caster vs rogue kicks, shamman wind shear, mages silence, prot palladins shield silence/interupt etc. ...But I guess it's also a matter of personal preferences.

Before I used icicle, wich works the same way, but it got outdated, and I am not sure if it's up to date now.

VialCooldowns: VialCooldowns - PvP - World of Warcraft Addons - Curse if you wan't to add it.

Again gj :D

Battleground Res Timers - WoW AddOns - CurseForge

Works perfectly fine for WSG games (assume it would be RBG WSG also?)

Is small and customizable and I have never had any problems with it

EoxeFLY.jpg

Starts at 30s and counts down to 0. Shows a "res" then restarts

How sure are you on the accuracy of that addon? I'll try it soon and see how it works. I'm almost certain it won't work for RBGs because of the 45sec base timer and the possibility of the changed resurrection mechanics.

Anyone who has experience with the addon please chime in if you can

How sure are you on the accuracy of that addon? I'll try it soon and see how it works. I'm almost certain it won't work for RBGs because of the 45sec base timer and the possibility of the changed resurrection mechanics.

I use it in every BG. It depends on which GY your closest to. If you're closest to your own GY, it will tell you when the respawn is. When you're at enemy GY, it will tell you their respawn timer. I've been using it for several weeks now, in PuGs and in Wargames and it is 95% accurate. Sometimes it's 1 second off, but that is the max. It has been a great help especially in wargames because you can time when to kill someone, or wait with killing so they get the full respawn. Definiatly an addon worth getting.

I use it in every BG. It depends on which GY your closest to. If you're closest to your own GY, it will tell you when the respawn is. When you're at enemy GY, it will tell you their respawn timer. I've been using it for several weeks now, in PuGs and in Wargames and it is 95% accurate. Sometimes it's 1 second off, but that is the max. It has been a great help especially in wargames because you can time when to kill someone, or wait with killing so they get the full respawn. Definiatly an addon worth getting.

Sounds great. I'll download it, give it a look over, then add it to my list.

Thanks,
Superstylin

Well as said... I really love it, but if you want to judge before trying, go ahead^^ probally one of the best BG addons imo, specially for premade/wargames for twinks:p

your forgetting some of the nicest binds though, mousebinds.
middleclick, scroll down, scroll up, shift middleclick, shift scroll down, shift scroll up, extra mouse button.

Personally, I only use those at 90 for arena targeting / focusing so I didn't feel the need to add them. For most brackets of twinking you should be just fine using the basic keybindings.

It works in rbg.
Changes to 45 seconds.
Not reliable on maps with multiple gys.

Looking at this addon's code (this addon comes with a notepad containing the codes used to make this addon), it does recognize and change its base timer from 30ish sec. to 45ish sec. if it senses the player is in a RBG compared to a unrated bg.

I'm unsure if this works for battlegrounds like AB, but its code suggests it works for (and recognizes if a player is in one of these battlegrounds):
-Warsong Gulch
-Twin Peaks
-Silvershard Mines
-Temple of Kotmogu
-and Battle of Gilneas

EDIT: Apparently my above was late.

A few other functions (which I found to work by testing and reading its code):

-The slash command /res will "hide" that addon's counter (if shown), and "show" it's numbers if it's "hidden". (/res simply being an on-off switch of sorts. Only works outside battlegrounds).

-If you left-click the addon's number while holding shift down, it will tell its res number in instanced chat, like:
X seconds until res. [X being its number]

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread