US Soft and hard caps at 101

Kundis

Grandfathered
Hey Guys,

I am having trouble with the stats weigh on certains twinks.
On my frost deathknight, I cannot seem to find what is best between mastery or crit.
I run a Breath of Sindragosa build!

I don't see much of a difference when I switch rings between Mastery/Crit/Haste. I have them all.

On my BM hunter it is easy to know which stat to cap, mastery! Plus we just had a great thread posted about the BM build.

Anyone know how to know the soft and hard caps at level 101?

They are the same as they are for 110. Except that we can reach way higher percentages.

For example your sindragosa build (taken from icy veins):
1.1. Breath of Sindragosa
  1. Strength;
  2. Critical Strike (until 25%);
  3. Haste (until 20%);
  4. Critical Strike;
  5. Versatility = Haste = Mastery.
Maybe there is some type of diminishing return on versatility for example or a hard cap which has not been reached and so on. We can just test, analyze and find the results.

And especially for us playing solo content / world pvp. versatility is alwas way stronger than shown in those lists. Just because we profit from reduced damage we take and our increased selfhealing which is not taken into account. And there is always that "i want to find the best setup for my playstyle" which can be highest st dmg, aoe, burst or just a pure big crit number. Depending on this the stat weights will always be different.

So just test, analyze and find your result. :)

You also need to consider the combined value of your stats. If you keep stacking one then the others become more valuable because they all "multiply" together.

To give a very basic example, pretend you have 60% worth of rating that you can put into any of your secondary stats. That's a (roughly) 60% dps increase if you put it all into the same stat but if you instead put 30% in one and 30% in another, then you get 1.3*1.3=1.69, so a 69% dps increase. Obviously it's not that simple because the stats require different amounts of rating per 1% and have different weights for each spec/class but there's always going to be a ratio/cap where the other stats overtake your highest weighted stat (and it's a lot more common to reach that at 101 with the amount of stats available to us).

Totally agree about versatility for soloing though, it's basically free healing/mitigation. When I switched from crit to vers I barely lost any DPS because of the combined stat value (already had lots of crit on my gear but not as much vers).

We're in uncharted territory as 101 twinks - most things haven't been thoroughly tested because there's not many of us playing them, so we don't have a wealth of info like 110s do. The closest you can get to a definite answer on things like soft/hard caps and stat weights is to pour hours into Simcraft and even then it's not guarenteed to be right :p

The more you get in 1 stat, the less its going to be doing. For example (just example, no actual numbers);

- 1000 Mastery adds 10% (10% more damage)
- 1500 Should be 15% more damage but 1500/1000 = 1.5 so 1.5% more dps instead of the 5% you think it adds.

The higher you go the less dps you get increased. It's adviced to get most stats around the same %. I think this works for most classes, at least it does for my BM hunter.

The point you're making is correct but the maths is a little off. 1500/1000 = 1.5 = 50%, which means you gain 50% more of that initial 10% dps increase (10% * 1.5), which is 15% like you'd expect.

The DPS gain relative to your current DPS lowers as you get more of a stat though, which I think is what you were trying to say :) So if you have a 10% increase from one stat (1.1) and you get 5% more of it (1.15), the increase in dps that the 5% gives is 1.15/1.1 = 1.045 = 4.5%.

The point you're making is correct but the maths is a little off. 1500/1000 = 1.5 = 50%, which means you gain 50% more of that initial 10% dps increase (10% * 1.5), which is 15% like you'd expect.

The DPS gain relative to your current DPS lowers as you get more of a stat though, which I think is what you were trying to say :) So if you have a 10% increase from one stat (1.1) and you get 5% more of it (1.15), the increase in dps that the 5% gives is 1.15/1.1 = 1.045 = 4.5%.
That's exactly what i was trying to say, i'm bad a math but thanks for clearing this up! :)

Thanks for the info guys. I'll do a bit more testing.

It seems versatility is a good way to go though. Many say that no real DPS loss, or very minor. And alot to gain in mitigation.
Ill probably buy the vers ring instead and switch it with my mastery on my DK.
Enchants and gems too.

Ill see how it goes.

Ill do the same for my fury war coming soon. Not on my hunter though.

It seems versatility is a good way to go though. Many say that no real DPS loss, or very minor. And alot to gain in mitigation.
Enchants and gems too.

Ill see how it goes.

On my Prot pally going from haste to Versatility was a huge DPS increase

Enchants and gems too.

Ill see how it goes.

Hunter should be using mastery+vers ring, it's a 5-8% increase deepending if the ilvl increases or not (+socket/not).

Users who are viewing this thread