US Prot Pally lvl 101

vitalremains

Grandfathered
Hi,

I have a 792 Prot pally that I twinked to run instance for fun but I find the DPS is really lacking. Does going to Ret at 102 would make a huge difference? Would i keep my survivability?

I have some experience with twink at 101, used to have a blood DK to farm at begining of xpac but was too much fun to keep at 101.

Out of curiosity what kind of DPS are you getting with that Protadin? Test Ret with the 740 iLvL Class Order Hall Weapons with WoD Enchants while still at 101 to see if you find it more to your liking before leveling to 102. Also, as for survivability, pretty much all 101's are near invincible in PvE once geared enough.

Ok I haven't thought about the 740 weapon so I gave it a shot as Ret. On the training dummy as Prot I average 92k ish DPS and as Ret with 740 weapon 95kish. I'll try working a bit more on the rotation and run a few dungeon and compare.

Ok I haven't thought about the 740 weapon so I gave it a shot as Ret. On the training dummy as Prot I average 92k ish DPS and as Ret with 740 weapon 95kish. I'll try working a bit more on the rotation and run a few dungeon and compare.
I'm surprised it's that low tbh. My 819 iLvL Shockadin can easily manage 140K ST and fully buffed I can usually push out nearly 175K. Still that's nothing compared to what even a shit geared 101 Enh Shammy can do, barely trying lol.

Asking here instead of making a new thread. Would you think going Versatility instead of haste for gem/enchant would help my DPS as prot?

Toon name and server? It'll be easier to give recommendations knowing how close you are to different soft caps.

Tanks in general do fine DPS from what I've seen they just have a larger investment to reach that point compared to other classes.

Prot paladins really need about 15 points into their weapon, and thats going straight for the DPS traits so if you decided to go for any tanking ones that puts you behind. On top of that you typically want a more well approach to secondary stats over just straight stacking versatility for instance.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/argent-dawn/Holytauren/advanced

I can equip a second 835 ring, I have acces to the Versatility or haste one, both with socket.

Prefacing this with I do not have a 101 prot paladin but from taking a look at this combined with WoWProgress to look at your artifact I would say the following.

Prot paladins aren't about spiky damage, anything above 50% seems like a waste to me do to how soft caps work.

Conversely I wouldn't value Haste very highly as well. It's good to have some of both of these, but I would place the following higher up.

Versatility: The flat damage increase on top of the inflated str/agi means a healthy dose of versatility, I'd switch to your versatility ring.

Mastery: Has a two-fold effect for you if my understanding is correct. It causes you to take less damage (mass pulling) and increases your attack power by a flat %. Attack power is the same thing as your spell power these days so it's just a flat damage increase.

So I wouldn't be concerned about losing some crit or haste in place of bumping the versatility up, and possibly the mastery up depending on where diminishing returns are at. (you have 3x the raw crit stat as you do mastery stat, and 3x the haste as versatility.)

The big thing is your artifact weapon isn't doing a thing for you though, its giving you some stats and stamina but no damage boosting abilities. Any dps class will instantly outshine you because out of your 7 traits, only 1 of them increases any sort of damage done. Trait level 15 for paladins is more or less where you will top out from a DPS standpoint, but (18 if you get stern judgement) and I would say you have some pretty big DPS increases in front of you with a little farming. Hammer of Righteous/Blessed Hammer have 15% more damage, Avenger shield will do 33.7% of your attack power as an AoE around each target hit. (an additional 4k non crit for you essentially). And the big one, Ardent defender will make all melee attacks that strike you reflect a whopping 72% back (8k non crit for your current stats). Once you get the traits you should be able to mass pull and pop ardent defender and watch as everything kills itself. Paladins just take more investment to reach that point.

Your currently at trait 7, to get to trait 13 (before things start going up exponentially) you need 27 AP tokens from NL lair. You can knock that out in 1 hour sessions over a couple days easy. Thats not including your class hall which you can get about 400 AP daily if you use the cellphone app easy. I would say keep going a bit, switch around some stats (ditch the mail imo, unpopular opinion but being curbstomped by 110 tanks sucks. The cloth/leather/mail 880 twinks are leh squish against a decently geared 110) I finally have a 101 horde so I can show you how to do NL runs if you want. But otherwise

TL:DR Focus on getting some more traits in and I think your DPS will go up ALOT. Tanks don't have the instant gratification but can definitely do work with a little love.

wow! thank for the input. Yes I agree my weapon is lackign but I will get there eventualy. Will switch some haste around and see if it can help. I could barely solo mythic Slag maule due to poor DPS. But I know Prot pally isnt the best twink but he kind of received my left over plate gear and became a fun twink.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Shalev/simple

That's my 101 prot pala twink. I kinda agree that the dps doesn't seem all that, but I have yet to gain my first golden trait(the DPS one with AS). But so far I can basically pull everyone as long as they don't disable me. My leech + other survivability makes me unkillable no matter how many I pull since I stay at 100% forever.

What I like about him is his bubble and healing so I can heal the others in the group. I can 100% heal anyone with one of my heals.

So, I've been grinding AP a bit more recently, also managed to get some plate glove with leech (hurray!) But as I am about to spend my next trait I'm wondering if I took the best path in my artifact. I went left after first point but wondering if going righ and get that cooldown reducing for Ardent defender then head to first trait from there wouldn be better then that 9% shield damage.

https://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/us/argent_dawn/holytauren

thank in advance

Users who are viewing this thread