My best Sandbox MMORPG idea,

Dolfie

Grandfathered
My best idea for a new Sandbox MMO.

The game should be:
Open World full loot pvp/pve game
Terraforming
material crafting system which works with game physics.
Medieval style, no magic. However there might be creatures, Semi realistic such as Sabertooth tigers, Mamoths,Semi intelligent humanoids Or even colonies of giant ants.

Certain aspects of modern popular games must be mentioned before starting to talk about my idea.

Minecraft is extremely brilliant because it allows people to do anything they can possibly imagine! And also the Redstone System is Just crazy good.
The downside of minecraft however, is that if you would turn minecraft into an MMO open world with FFA pvp. Then because it is so super easy and fast to build,
the whole map would be full of strange builds and typically what you see in an old minecraft server.. Also it's hard to build a structure in minecraft which actually
offers protection again incomming atacks(Ofcourse its Doable) but people simply chop through your wall in a few seconds.
So certain aspects are amazing, Yet some are not very suitable for a game i have in mind, Which is ofcourse the game i would love to play more then anything!

7Days to Die is very similar to Minecraft in many ways, However they focus more on a struggle for survival, With the constant treath of hordes of zombies which
will break down anything to get to you and eat you up. Which is a good motivation to keep preparing and building on your fortification. I just love this
scary feeling of constant danger lurking about. Which i think would work perfect in the perfect Sandbox MMO.

Age of Empires(and many similar games) This is a game where you have to build a town, you have to provide food acomodation protection, and you have Workers that do the
work for you, For example you asign a few workers to get wood, while others get stone and iron etc etc.. This automated system of doing the (boring work) is good,
Because you dont want to spent hours and hours cutting down trees, however it would also be too easy if you could just build for free..
So the game im imagining is a super grindy game, But would allow players to set their characters to work automatically, Even when being offline your characters could
Work on many tedious things, this is fun because you see progress every time you come online, And at the same time doesnt make it very easy to build structures or dig
tunnels it would take very long to finish your stone wall around your village.. to give an example.. It might take 10 workers 3 months to build a stone wall 300 meters
long around your village, However.. It would provide insane protection.. Because it would take extremely long to break it down.

Robocraft is a game which allows people to build extremely complex Robots and fight eachother with them. You can't believe some robots people made, and the evolution
this game has gone though just by people making new robots and test them on eachother. Now you have a large number of evenly matched robots all designed by players
themselfes. This is great example of a crafting system i would like to see in this Medieval Sandbox MMO. Ofcourse it would look very different then robots fighting
eachother, but with this crafting system you could build sailing ships,Siege engines, carriages, Great wooden/steel gates, Drawbridges, and and infinite amount of
other inventions for defense,transport,asault, or just plain fun. All of which would work with the physical laws of the game world.
A good example of this type of crafting system also is a 3D version of Armadillo Run.

World of Warcraft, This has been my favorite game for the past 12 years, Even though they gradually became more sucky. This game was so gamechanging
that even till this day i play it. Why is World of Warcraft so good? If people would have told you in 2002 about WoW,people could say its nothing new, Nothing Original
and yet, when it came out in late 2004 it broke all records in no time, and to this day it's the biggest MMORPG, This is probably because blizzard had the team,money
and vision to put all the Top aspects of the top games that were out back then together and just blow away all competition. and they just did it. Sadly when a game makes that
amount of money people tend to sell out their souls for money instead of making it the best possible experience, So they started to focus on getting as many subs as possible
instead of keeping the game true and hardcore(which i think would have kept more subs) but whatever..WoW is the best thing around for many of us even 12 years later.
But its getting old! And millions of us are waiting for something new! And i think the history will repeat itself, and the aspects of the top best games around nowadays
are going to be put together some day and there will be something new which will blow everything away just like WoW did back then. Only this time it will be even better!

This is my prediction of what this New Best game might look like,

Idea of the game.
Players will spawn randomly in a selected zone of the world with nothing more then a few cloths.
From this moment on it will be a battle for survival.
There is nothing but a huge natural world with any different type of natural landscape, No quests! No loading screens!

Players should make sure food water are constantly suplied and also extreme weather can be a threat so a shelter
is vital.Then predatory animals and different semi intelligent humanoid life forms live on this world which are a big
danger and fortification is recommended against all of these natural dangers.
And then ofcourse the most dangerous of all, other players because pvp is allowed everywhere at all times.
The idea is that in the beginning players are almost forced to work together in order to survive permanently and build up a
settlement.However nothing is forced for real, and everybody is 100% free to do whatever they like.
In the beginning the biggest treaths are raids from the different types of humanoids.
If you are not prepared for them, They will mercilessly destroy anything you have build and take all the recourses they find
back to their Bases which can be cities/villages/caves/castles.
Players have only the natural resources to make primitive tools to start cutting trees, make weaponry, start a fire, and slowly
as more materials are being discovered more advanced tools and craft can be made.
Crafting can be done with any material in game and contraptions can be made and basicly anything you can imagine can be build.
But the natural laws of physics are very important to keep in mind while constructing because if things are not strong enough
Or not in balance disasters can happen and buildings collapse, ships capsize and you name it.
The way mobs works in the game is everything has their own life cycle. And the only way mobs spawn is being born from their mothers.
So it is very possible for species to go extinct. Or for a species to have massive overpopulation.
One very real threat for example is if a semi intelligent humanoid species is too succesfull, they can end up dominating whole
Continents, and with that force players to move away from there. Also this can force player villages to band together against a common
enemy, or both be destroyed by it.Players can also find ways to Tame certain wild animals and use them for a number of different things,
Such as transport heavy work, or beasts of war. However, Creatures in the world can only die once, and will never respawn after death.
So here are a few different types of ways to play this game for example.

Be a fisherman, Fish with a boat or from the shore to supply your village with food.
Be a thief, Steal other peoples hard earned riches.with the risk of death and a bad reputation.
Be a trader, get a horse and cariage and Go from village to village to trade goods and become rich.
Be a pirate, Build a ship find a crew! and plunder the seas.
be an animal tamer/breeder, Go out in the world and find ways to tame and breed many different animals.
Be a smitty, Make sure the town is suppied with iron weapons and armor of high quality.
Be a builder, build castle walls towers houses and anything you can imagine.
be an engineer, Use any material to build siege weapons,carriages anything with moving parts basicly, and anything you can imagine.
Be an assasin, murder people for money
Be everything at the same time, but just much less specialized.
Be a gladitor, Build a gladitors arena and organize matches to find out who is the strongest fighter in the camp/city/world.
Be a hunter, track and hunt any animal big or small and get the meat horns furs and whatever else the beasts may posses, and ofcourse the respect from your friends.
Be a miner, Find precious metals and minerals in the mountains and tunnel deep underground, the underground is also pretty hidden and secret.

Now these are but a few random examples, And it might be hard to choose which type of thing you would like to specialize in.
So the idea is for every player to have two characters at all time.This helps to make the world feel more full and also the game is exceptionally grindy
So for example you can let your builder character build the village wall automatically while you go out to hunt on your hunter character.
Also to make sure people can not ransack the whole village while people are sleeping in RL for example. All characters remain online in game forever.
So you can set them to do certain tasks or stand guard while you are offline.Perhaps people from the same camp could give orders to the offline characters to deffend
or work more efficiently, unless players have turned off that option.
You will get better at the things you do, so like that you can level up skills and be more efficient in doing them, Also the tools/weapons you are using influence the
effectiveness of whatever you are doing a lot.

Because it takes so long to build a stone wall for example, people will feel truely rewarded when it's finished, and also because it's hard to build it's also very
hard to destroy, so it offers true protection.But it is truely a hardcore game. And people should always be prepared to lose everything they have.
You could have been working 3 years to finish a castle and huge walls and everything. just to lose it the next day in a siege to a stronger enemy. And basicly start
from scratch. But at the same time it is possible to steal a small boat and with a few friends steal a bigger ship and eventually have a whole fleet for free, which
wouldve cost months and a lot of experience and materials to build. These things bring great pain and excitement at the same time.

Also the penalty to dying should be huge. This is to prevent players from rushing in and hack and slashing everything in their path without consequence.
If people die in the game they will spawn 1 hour later naked with just underwear,in their camp/house If somebody else took controll over that camp,
then they will spawn within 2KM range around their
their old spawn. This will give players fear of death, and will make the gameplay much more realistic.
The panic and berserking rages that this brings about is just legendary.
Such a long spawn timer sucks big time if you die by accident,
however this is also the reason people will have two characters so that it hurts less when one of them dies.
Also people drop everything they were carrying when they die.

It is very important the game runs smooth because there can be wars with many people fighting at the same time, So gameplay>graphics all the way.
And it should be a non targeting system. but you just hit with a sword for example, and wherever you hit you actually hit in that place.
There will be no floating names anywhere and players should think of ways to identify friend from foe in battles.
The only floating text there is is chat.
I'm not sure yet how damage should work. but i want realistic combat, an arrow to the head and you die. unless they shot you in the cheek or something but yeah,
Realistic combat, 1 slice with a samurai sword and you are pretty much dead. And arrow to the knee will make you cripple for about 30 minutes,
and sometimes bleeding must be stopped to prevent dying.

Example of a proffesion, so for example you want to be a blacksmith. there should be some minigame basicly which allows you to form the thing you want to make,
Creating an unique item everytime you make something new, also you can get infinitly high level in blacksmitting, and everytime make higher quality weapons, which are
more durable and sharp and beautifull. However the higher level you become the harder it is to level up for example.

Just imagine building a ship with 10 people.. working on it for 3 weeks or something to finaly set sail and go on an adventure. Packing everything you got with you
and leaving the shore. Learning how to sail and navigate and explore the world..... Just epic.

Well, this idea is stuck in my mind and i hope i can play it some day!

Game Lore:
Basicly the lore is a complete mystery and nobody knows what happened when they woke up in this natural world, Nobody has any memory of a time before.
It's as if god put them down.
however there are old ruins in certain places from over a thousand years ago and secret
underground catacombs which have clues and small pieces of the puzzle of the ancient history
of this unknown world. Including artifacts of a long forgotten past, As players discover more and dig deeper they begin to uncover the History.

I know it's not very refined, but you get the basic idea.
Also i know this is far from an original idea, But i think this way of gameplay will fix many problems that similar games have atm.
Let me know what you think! Try to reply in a possitive way, even if you completely disagree!
Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread