US I still have a 29 twink from Vanilla/Burning Crusade days. How would it stand up now?

Magic815

Grandfathered
Hi all,

So I was a pretty heavy player back in the 'vanilla' days of WoW. I played a little bit of The Burning Crusade, and then let the subscription go when Wrath of the Lich King hit. Towards the end there, I started spending less and less time on my main, and instead poured all of my effort into making a 29 rogue twink - on the Spinebreaker server - and had loads of fun.

Fast forward 6+ years, and I've recently been feeling nostalgic over WoW and am considering coming back. While I don't think I have it in me to take my main from 70-110 and try to get into the endgame again, I would love to get back into the 29 twinking scene at a more casual pace.

I was wondering, though - would my old 29 rogue twink have any use in today's WoW? In doing some quick research, it sounds like a lot has changed in the last 6 years. Exp was added to battlegrounds, then it was taken away if the player so chose, but then you had separate queues. And then heirlooms hit, and there is all this talk of ilvl for gear, and normalization of stats now with Legion. Hard to wrap my head around all of the changes.

Here is my twink from the vanilla/TBC days:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/spinebreaker/Quietfury/advanced

Would it have any use now? Or if I wanted to return to the 29 twinking scene, would I basically need to restart one over? For the time period of TBC, that was about as far as you could take a dagger 29 rogue, but I'm worried that she'll be sorely outgunned with all the new gear and changes made to the game.

If you come to Bleeding Hollow I will gladly help you with any gear or anything else you need help with. Honesty the gear you are probably equipped with now will be good for Wpvp but there are some things you will need to update. If interested just let me know. Even if your crossrealm I'm sure I will be helpful

If you come to Bleeding Hollow I will gladly help you with any gear or anything else you need help with. Honesty the gear you are probably equipped with now will be good for Wpvp but there are some things you will need to update. If interested just let me know. Even if your crossrealm I'm sure I will be helpful

Oh wow, that's very generous of you. I haven't yet re-subbed, but plan to in the next few days. Whats the best way to get a hold of you? Through here, or on BH? And are you horde or alliance? I don't mind switching factions, if needed.

These days u can even play at lvl 20 without a sub. If u don't sub up again, u can play as a F2P (Free To Play) with some restrictions.

Also if you sub up you can make a level 20 and gear him up while your sub is active. Then if u let you sub go you can still play that geared 20. This is referred to as a Vet (Veteran) account.

With regards to your 29 I'd say it's decently geared for PvP. You have the top trinkets for iPvP. Probably just need some bling items for rings and neck and you'll be up there with the best for iPvP. Obviously you will need an active sub to play your 29.

I just wanted to let you know about various unsub'd options which will give you almost the same amount of content as your 29.

Either way good luck and have fun.

You have a few GFed pieces:
Head enchant
Cloak enchant
Leg enchant
Chest
Insignia
Gloves

Unfortunately, ilevel is the only thing that matters in BGs nowadays.

Your chest, gloves, cloak and trinkets are useful because of their high ilevel, the rest of your gear needs to be replaced

Oh wow, that's very generous of you. I haven't yet re-subbed, but plan to in the next few days. Whats the best way to get a hold of you? Through here, or on BH? And are you horde or alliance? I don't mind switching factions, if needed.
I am on alliance and play with the guild District Nineteen. You can just reply to this threat or direct message me on here. I check this a few times every day so just let me know your plans! I mostly play in the 19 backet but would be more than happy to help you get back in the game

These days u can even play at lvl 20 without a sub. If u don't sub up again, u can play as a F2P (Free To Play) with some restrictions.

Also if you sub up you can make a level 20 and gear him up while your sub is active. Then if u let you sub go you can still play that geared 20. This is referred to as a Vet (Veteran) account.

With regards to your 29 I'd say it's decently geared for PvP. You have the top trinkets for iPvP. Probably just need some bling items for rings and neck and you'll be up there with the best for iPvP. Obviously you will need an active sub to play your 29.

I just wanted to let you know about various unsub'd options which will give you almost the same amount of content as your 29.

Either way good luck and have fun.
Yea, I had heard about the F2P 20's. I don't mind paying for the sub if it allows me to keep my 29 twink - I ended up putting 14 days played on it, and would love to salvage it if I could. Is iPVP like battlegrounds, as opposed to world PVP? I wouldn't mind getting into both, since I can have experience turned off, and don't have any risk of getting exploration exp.

You have a few GFed pieces:
Head enchant
Cloak enchant
Leg enchant
Chest
Insignia
Gloves

Unfortunately, ilevel is the only thing that matters in BGs nowadays.

Your chest, gloves, cloak and trinkets are useful because of their high ilevel, the rest of your gear needs to be replaced
Is having grandfathered pieces a good or a bad thing? Shame to hear that everything's been normalized to ilvl. Do you guys see this change having a negative effect on twinking? Are many sticking around?

I am on alliance and play with the guild District Nineteen. You can just reply to this threat or direct message me on here. I check this a few times every day so just let me know your plans! I mostly play in the 19 backet but would be more than happy to help you get back in the game
Sure, I'll reach out soon! Thanks!

Yea, I had heard about the F2P 20's. I don't mind paying for the sub if it allows me to keep my 29 twink - I ended up putting 14 days played on it, and would love to salvage it if I could. Is iPVP like battlegrounds, as opposed to world PVP? I wouldn't mind getting into both, since I can have experience turned off, and don't have any risk of getting exploration exp.
Correct, iPvP is Instanced PvP, so yes battlegrounds and arena. Make sure u turn off ur XP before u go too far or u could accidentally level. XP Eliminator for Alliance is in the room near the king, the stealthed guy in that room. However the BiS set for iPvP is different to wPvP (World PvP). I keep a set for each and just swap them around as needed. There's lots of info on this site for best gear now for Legion. Don't get rid of ur helm though with the head enchant as u can't get that chant anymore.

Is having grandfathered pieces a good or a bad thing? Shame to hear that everything's been normalized to ilvl. Do you guys see this change having a negative effect on twinking? Are many sticking around?
Although it takes some of the fun away from twinking it's a welcome change for F2P's and Vets who were at a disadvantage before with gear and chants. Now the bracket (20-29) is a lot more equalised (apart from some shockingly OP classes) but that's not to do with gear. Gear wise it couldn't be better for us 20's. Only difference now between 20's and 29's is the extra abilities the 29's get, so it's not a deal breaker these days.

Have a search around some of the 20-29 forums and ask whatever questions u need and I'm sure it'll get answered soon enough.

Maybe I'll see ya round in some bg's soon ;)

To be honest, rogues are not very powerfull atm. You may end up levling a new char, you can do that unsupped and find out if you can stand the q time and those op hunters :)

You can IPvP just fine as a level 20. There are many of us that choose to play level 20's even as subscribers simply for the novelty of it.

All you need now really is Heirlooms, most of which can be bought with gold. A few require guild rep and/or guild achievements( helm/legs/cape).
The only gear you need to farm/purchase is a belt, rings(Heirlooms too can't be bought), wrist, hands and feet. Trinkets can either be heirlooms or engineering items. Enchants don't work in iPvP.

Good luck and have fun!!!

You have a Twink with some Grandfathered features, this might be useless during this expansion but its definitely a prized account appreciated by collectors.

Hang onto it.

I appreciate all the responses! You've helped give me clarity on the state of things all these years later. You've all helped set the stage as I attempt to get back into the swing of things.

Legion pre xpac event gear with titanforged proc was the best gear stat wise.
You still can get good gears from bg boxes with blue proced gears.
Overall your gears are good enough + nothing ever beats style.
As for use of 29 rogue atm: they are decent but not a sv hunter.

Hi all,

So I was a pretty heavy player back in the 'vanilla' days of WoW. I played a little bit of The Burning Crusade, and then let the subscription go when Wrath of the Lich King hit. Towards the end there, I started spending less and less time on my main, and instead poured all of my effort into making a 29 rogue twink - on the Spinebreaker server - and had loads of fun.

Fast forward 6+ years, and I've recently been feeling nostalgic over WoW and am considering coming back. While I don't think I have it in me to take my main from 70-110 and try to get into the endgame again, I would love to get back into the 29 twinking scene at a more casual pace.

I was wondering, though - would my old 29 rogue twink have any use in today's WoW? In doing some quick research, it sounds like a lot has changed in the last 6 years. Exp was added to battlegrounds, then it was taken away if the player so chose, but then you had separate queues. And then heirlooms hit, and there is all this talk of ilvl for gear, and normalization of stats now with Legion. Hard to wrap my head around all of the changes.

Here is my twink from the vanilla/TBC days:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/spinebreaker/Quietfury/advanced

Would it have any use now? Or if I wanted to return to the 29 twinking scene, would I basically need to restart one over? For the time period of TBC, that was about as far as you could take a dagger 29 rogue, but I'm worried that she'll be sorely outgunned with all the new gear and changes made to the game.
is that rogue linked to a b net acc? ill buy it if it isn't

Users who are viewing this thread