Horde in AV

I can already imagine the awkward moment when both teams are defending.
So what? Just because they def you arent allowed to?

Also I cant image your Horde defs with 40 ppl. And if, you should have no problem to rush base.
So for start deffing Balinda seems a logical way since its 100 ressources you dont have to spare.
10-15 ppl + Balinda can achieve a lot esp when a big chunk of Horde is still in garrison. If you die stay mid and run between towers. Holding mid (both towers + Balinda) as long as possible wins AV.

So what? Just because they def you arent allowed to?

Also I cant image your Horde defs with 40 ppl. And if, you should have no problem to rush base.
So for start deffing Balinda seems a logical way since its 100 ressources you dont have to spare.
10-15 ppl + Balinda can achieve a lot esp when a big chunk of Horde is still in garrison. If you die stay mid and run between towers. Holding mid (both towers + Balinda) as long as possible wins AV.

The problem with defending captains is that it is very easy to quickly crush a defense team, as long as you have superior numbers.

This goes for endgame as well - although I'm not sure if defending captains works better at F2P. It almost seems to be fairly successful in recent days.

So if you have 15 on Defense - which is a high estimate. Generally it's much fewer - but let's assume 15. The enemy team should be sending at LEAST 30 to your Captain. That's the point of the early zerg - you kill the captain while you are all still grouped.

30 v 15 will crush that force. It's a simple number advantage. Meanwhile, you have maybe 15 people on their captain (assuming 10 people from both sides are doing solo missions or getting an early start on bunkers/towers). You will probably finish their captain in time, but they will have defeated yours much quicker.

Maybe this is where my assessment doesn't hold up by comparing F2P to Endgame, but as far as I can tell, it should.

30 v 15 + Captain will be faster than 15 vs Captain. This is because the 30 v 15 is not a 1-for-1 trade of Enemy-to-Ally. In other words, your force of 15 against THEIR captain is dwarfed by their force of 30 against YOUR captain + Defense.

It seems to me that the best game plan is to split Offense and Defense after the enemy Captain, and go from there. Generally a 15 man team of back-cap Defense will win a game.

On an individual level, I do not suggest back-dooring unless you can stealth. Rogues/Druids are excellent at going for Dun'Baldar / Frostwolf Towers early on. They have the potential to carry games if they can successfully burn a tower early before there is enough of an organized defense.

Non-Stealthies should travel as a group. Defending Towers that your team has captured is JUST as important as back-capping Towers that the enemy team has captured. Those should be the goals of the game.

Never, under any circumstances, should you attempt to kill the Enemy Faction Leader - You lose 1 reinforcement for each death your team has to that Faction Leader. That is literally throwing away the game.

although I'm not sure if defending captains works better at F2P. It almost seems to be fairly successful in recent days.

Of the last 10 AV I have played we always deffed Galv with ~15 ppl and havent lost a single match. Of all these matches Alliance deffed Balinda once and that was the closest they came to win.
I also have to point out that Horde has a huge advantage in deffing the captains since Alliance has to ride a straight line to Garrison and gets easily attacked on the way while Horde has lots of cover on their way to Balinda. So not only do they save the 100 ressources but get another ~20 of the deaths & organizing after defeat@other teams captain takes time and pushes Alliance way back into their half cutting them off from the towers and spreading the gap between their off (potentially at tower point/horde base) and def even further.

So in short losing the initial battle for the captain is the biggest step into losing the match.

Best way to avoid it is to turn the tables and def Balinda yourself or at least kill the Balinda-Offence with whole team. Horde will leave the def when no ones coming. So with Horde-Off dead you have a bulk of alliance on their way to the Galv-def now on the move....

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the last 10 AV I have played we always deffed Galv with ~15 ppl and havent lost a single match. Of all these matches Alliance deffed Balinda once and that was the closest they came to win.
I also have to point out that Horde has a huge advantage in deffing the captains since Alliance has to ride a straight line to Garrison and gets easily attacked on the way while Horde has lots of cover on their way to Balinda. So not only do they save the 100 ressources but get another ~20 of the deaths & organizing after defeat@other teams captain takes time and pushes Alliance way back into their half cutting them off from the towers and spreading the gap between their off (potentially at tower point/horde base) and def even further.

So in short losing the initial battle for the captain is the biggest step into losing the match.

Best way to avoid it is to turn the tables and def Balinda yourself or at least kill the Balinda-Offence with whole team. Horde will leave the def when no ones coming. So with Horde-Off dead you have a bulk of alliance on their way to the Galv-def now on the move....

Well certainly I'm not debating the effectiveness of successfully defending a Captain. The game is effectively over for the team that got rebutted, as they will probably never be organized well enough to kill the Captain again.

I would debate as to the innate AV advantage in regards to a specific faction.

Historically, almost EVERYONE agrees that Alliance has the baseline advantage in Alterrac Valley.

After my own experiences there, I would agree with that assessment wholeheartedly.

As far as I'm aware, faction bosses are still in AV - perhaps time to bring the old school way of AV'ing up?

The game is effectively over for the team that got rebutted, as they will probably never be organized well enough to kill the Captain again..

Actually it just takes 4-5 people and a few minutes to kill them.

As far as I'm aware, faction bosses are still in AV - perhaps time to bring the old school way of AV'ing up?
You need 250 Soldiers Blood (Alliance has Crystals or something) iirc and then another 5 (?) minutes till he (slowly) moves. Wasted time and effort. Match is over long before u even get near the end of the material farming.

Yeah, I find myself not having easy times in AV due to I've played it less than 6 times in my p2p (did only 1 month sub) and another 6 times as f2p so I ended up defending a tower all match to feel less useless.
I am currently reading about AV in a few websites to at least be familiar with places names and know what ppl are talking about during game.
Hope you keep up discussions about game tactics here so people like me can learn about this huge bg mechanics

Users who are viewing this thread