EU+US [Guide] - Beast Mastery Hunter

Changzu

Buk Lau

maxresdefault.jpg

This guide is based on my personal experience.
1. - Gear, What, and Why?
1.2. - Builds and Talents
1.3 - Artifact Traits
1.3.1 - Relics
1.4 - Rotation
1.5 - Stat Priority
1.6 - Gems
1.6.1 - Enchants
1.7 - Macro's
1.8 - Pets

1. - Gear - What, and why?
For a BM Hunter, you are able to used mixed gear, you'll want to fill in each and every slot with the highest BOE piece you can get, offcouse the priority is mail. You don't want to use cloth in a slot where you can fit a mail armor piece in.

Why do you want to use mixed armor? Because a 710 dungeon, or 740+ HFC piece is never going to add as much stats as a 835+ BOE. And for a BM Hunter, you're going to need to focus on alot of stats. See section 1.5. for that!

1.2 - Builds, and Talents
I have done several tests with all possible builds on my hunter, and I came up with this setup to be the best DPS one, this one will balance the AOE and ST out for the best possible situations:

Level 15: Way of the Cobra
Level 30: Stomp
Level 45: Posthaste
Level 60: Bestial Fury
Level 75: Free Choice
Level 90: A Murder of Crows
Level 100: Killer Cobra

1.3 - Artifact Traits
This setup is based on a max DPS situation, however it also has Spirit Bond for survival (15% of Kill Command's damage is being returned as healing to your character). This setup is based on 19 trait's, you grow as you progress towards the list.

fNJGnlD.png

1.3.1 - Relics
As for the relics, you'll want to go for either Pack Leader (Increase damage done by Kill Command by 5%) or Jaws of Thunder (Has a 10% chance to do nature damage, based on 50% of Kill Command). Those two would be considered Best in Slot.

1.4 Rotation
The rotation is quite simple, you are bound to 5 spells in total. This rotation is based on a boss fight. You use either vers of agility potions (wod ones) during your burst. You can use legion ones but it's a huge gold sink and not that big of a difference.

Before the fight, use your trinket, try to get a proc on Mastery or Vers (top 2).
1. Open with A Murder of Crows
2. Hit Bestial Wrath macro (see macro section).
3. Use Dire Beast
4. Use Kill Command
5. Use Cobra Shot

Repeat step 4&5 untill target is dead, use Dire Beast if you don't have any Focus left.

1.5 - Stat Priority
Mastery adds all damage done by pets and its abilities, for each 1% of mastery you need 55 mastery.

That's also why your main stat is going to be mastery, you want to stack this is up as much as possible, that's also the reason you're going to be using Cloth gloves for mastery, it adds around 15-25% mastery deepending on the ilvl/socket.

Once you reach ~ 160-170% mastery you're good to go, from this point it's only going to add less and less damage. In this case, you want to stack up some vers aswell.

A rough overview of what you'll need it:

1. 160-170% Mastery
2. 35-45% Crit
3. 30-40% Haste
4. 15-25% Vers

With these stats, you'll pull off the most DPS as you possibly can.

The reason you don't want to go full HAM on only mastery is simple, the more mastery you get the less DPS its going to be add. A quick example of this:
If you have a 10% increase from one stat (1.1) and you get 5% more of it (1.15), the increase in dps that the 5% gives is 1.15/1.1 = 1.045 = 4.5%.

1.6 - Gems
You'll want to buy items with sockets only for the max amount of DPS, you gem them with mastery to obtain that 160+%.

1.6.1 - Enchants
Same as above, everything is going to be mastery.

1.7 - Macros
You're going to want to spend as less time as possible on clicking or pressing buttons to get your burst going, use this macro to get the max out of it, change the potion to whichever one you're using.

Code:
/cast Bestial Wrath
/cast Aspect of the Wild
/use Draenic Versatility Potion

1.8 - Pets

As for the pet, there's only one pet you should be using, and that's a Core Hound.
The Core Hound has the ability to cast Hero/BL/TW, you use that at the start of each fight. This is IF you don't have drums, if you perfer to use drums you could be using any pet really.

Last edited:
1.5 - Stat Priority
has been modified with more information, i'll be updating this thread over time with additional information.

It's worth taking the leather legs over the mail ones if you want more mastery :)

Dire Stable simmed highest out of the first talent row for me although that was back in 7.1 so idk if anything has changed since then. I assume it was because it helps towards the focus cost of Kill Command spam during Bestial Wrath (with the Killer Cobra talent).

For anyone wanting to solo WoD raids on their hunter:
- The healing/mitigation bonus from stacking versatility is worth the very minor dps loss compared to going full mastery
- Using a spirit beast pet for the extra Spirit Mend heal is priceless in many encounters (you can still BL using Drums of Rage)
- Something I didn't know until I tested it, leech actually works for pets (their damage will heal themselves)
- Try to get 2 Pack Leader relics over Jaws of Thunder as it will very slightly increase the healing you get from Kill Command through the Spirit Bond trait (and also a very minor dps increase since we already have 3 JoT traits).

I haven't done the maths/sims to compare legendaries yet (would need to take into account the stat upgrade) but at first glance I'd rank their effects as follows:
- http://www.wowhead.com/item=137382 Best all round legendary, especially for soloing (adds dps, pet survival and hunter survival)
- http://www.wowhead.com/item=137080 Could be one of the best for dps (burst at least) with the Killer Cobra talent
- http://www.wowhead.com/item=132466 Best for self-healing unless you can't stand still very often, in which case http://www.wowhead.com/item=132444 or http://www.wowhead.com/item=137064 (although you can't usually sit in FD very often/long due to mechanics, dps checks and your pet needing heals).
- http://www.wowhead.com/item=144259 wasn't working on the PTR so I don't know if the use effect scales down at 101

Otherwise I'd agree with everything else you've said!

- Using a spirit beast pet for the extra Spirit Mend heal is priceless in many encounters (you can still BL using Drums of Rage)
Do the old drums work? I always use Drums of the Mountain 'cause they are the cheapest. Or if I forgot them then I summoned my BL pet, pop BL, summoned Spirit Beast again. :)

It's worth taking the leather legs over the mail ones if you want more mastery :)

Dire Stable simmed highest out of the first talent row for me although that was back in 7.1 so idk if anything has changed since then. I assume it was because it helps towards the focus cost of Kill Command spam during Bestial Wrath (with the Killer Cobra talent).

For anyone wanting to solo WoD raids on their hunter:
- The healing/mitigation bonus from stacking versatility is worth the very minor dps loss compared to going full mastery
- Something I didn't know until I tested it, leech actually works for pets (their damage will heal themselves)
- Try to get 2 Pack Leader relics over Jaws of Thunder as it will very slightly increase the healing you get from Kill Command through the Spirit Bond trait (and also a very minor dps increase since we already have 3 JoT traits).

I haven't done the maths/sims to compare legendaries yet (would need to take into account the stat upgrade) but at first glance I'd rank their effects as follows:
- http://www.wowhead.com/item=137382 Best all round legendary, especially for soloing (adds dps, pet survival and hunter survival)
- http://www.wowhead.com/item=137080 Could be one of the best for dps (burst at least) with the Killer Cobra talent
- http://www.wowhead.com/item=132466 Best for self-healing unless you can't stand still very often, in which case http://www.wowhead.com/item=132444 or http://www.wowhead.com/item=137064 (although you can't usually sit in FD very often/long due to mechanics, dps checks and your pet needing heals).
- http://www.wowhead.com/item=144259 wasn't working on the PTR so I don't know if the use effect scales down at 101

Otherwise I'd agree with everything else you've said!

I'm not sure about that, it adds 10% increased damage on each guardian that's up, so 20% from pets, another 10% when you hit Dire Beast, and if it procs you can have another one so 40% increased damage. I have tried to play around with both and appeared that this was the best option for me.

As for the leech, leech doesn't seem to work for yourself, only Cobra Shot - all guardian/pet abilities are not affected and won't heal you, it does however heal the pet(s). And yes, Pack Leader relics are deffo the best, but if you want to mix it up the second best is Jaws of Thunder. ^^

Thanks for the feedback, i'll be sure to expand the guide soon.

Do the old drums work? I always use Drums of the Mountain 'cause they are the cheapest. Or if I forgot them then I summoned my BL pet, pop BL, summoned Spirit Beast again. :)

Drums do work, but it's quite a gold sink. If you have the gold, why not.. But if you don't want to use drums, this'll be the best way to go. Thanks for the headsup ill update it soon. ^^

I'm not sure about that, it adds 10% increased damage on each guardian that's up, so 20% from pets, another 10% when you hit Dire Beast, and if it procs you can have another one so 40% increased damage. I have tried to play around with both and appeared that this was the best option for me.

As for the leech, leech doesn't seem to work for yourself, only Cobra Shot - all guardian/pet abilities are not affected and won't heal you, it does however heal the pet(s). And yes, Pack Leader relics are deffo the best, but if you want to mix it up the second best is Jaws of Thunder. ^^

Thanks for the feedback, i'll be sure to expand the guide soon.
The problem with Way of the Cobra is that Cobra Shot only accounts for a small percentage of our overall damage, so increasing it by 20-30% isn't going to net much of a gain. I still have the recount data from soloing Archimonde on the PTR yesterday so I'll use that as an example:
- Overall damage: 89.9m
- My damage: 21.1m (of which Cobra Shot dealt 10m damage)
- Pet damage: 36.3m (tenacity specced spirit beast with Apex legendary ring)
- Hati damage: 9.2m
- Dire Beast damage: 22.5m
- Mirror of the Blademaster damage: 0.9m

So Cobra Shot is 10/89.9 = 11.1% of my total damage, which means Way of the Cobra will add 2.2% dps with your pet + Hati, or 3.3% dps when you have 1 dire beast active too. I'll admit that's not as bad as I thought it was when I started writing this post so maybe it does outweigh the extra focus from Dire Stable :p

And yeh, leech is pretty weak for self-healing but it's good that the pet heals itself through dealing damage :D

Slightly updated.

nice guide! just dinged with my hunter and bought some Epics =)

whats the cloth hand bonus? or is it some special glove that i should look for?

nice guide! just dinged with my hunter and bought some Epics =)

whats the cloth hand bonus? or is it some special glove that i should look for?
You should grab the legendary BOE Gloves that is coming next week :p

Thank you for your time and effort, Changzu!

I am currently leveling a BM hunter but my focus will be world PvP since I farm plenty of PvE on my frost DK. How would you adjust build/stats/etc for world pvp? I'm almost 90 so I will be using a lot of the BoE's I've been stockpiling soon...

Thank you for your time and effort, Changzu!

I am currently leveling a BM hunter but my focus will be world PvP since I farm plenty of PvE on my frost DK. How would you adjust build/stats/etc for world pvp? I'm almost 90 so I will be using a lot of the BoE's I've been stockpiling soon...

To be honest, I use the same setup for both pve and pvp and it seems to work out just fine. You can see the build in my signature.

Wooha?! Levendary boe!? They will cost a mil :)
Yeah next wednesday all legendarys will be 101 + we get BOE Legendarys. Their deffo going to be around 1m gold.

Great work Changes! keep it up. I was wondering if you had an youtube channel? if so, can you link it? :)

Thanks. And I do, I have one video up of my multiboxing 3 BM hunter twinks (upload from my livestream).
Located here:

I do plan on making new videos soon though, I am currently waiting for 7.2 to hit before I make videos though, going to be making videos when I have my legendary ^^

Users who are viewing this thread