EU+US Fury Warrior - Go full ilevel or aim for lower level with stats?

mortenmoulder

Ruskesnask
I'm debating whether I should try and aim for items with high item level and mastery, and "completely" forget about Strength. These are the items I'm considering replacing:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=141567/cynos-mantle-of-sin
http://www.wowhead.com/item=141571/mavanahs-shifting-wristguards
http://www.wowhead.com/item=141569/samnohs-exceptional-leggings

Because of these items, I was able to push item level 830 farely cheap and still have insanely good DPS (I would say).

I'm currently rocking these stats as I sit right now:

97% mastery
31.5% crit
34.5% haste
11339 attack power

I'm considering exchanging them with these instead:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=124343/doomcriers-shoulderplates&bonus=1801
http://www.wowhead.com/item=124352/wristplate-of-the-wretched&bonus=1801
http://www.wowhead.com/item=130016/valor-bound-legplates

Obviously upgraded 2/2 on the wrists and shoulders. Is it worth the extra effort? If we look at someone like Çrønk we can clearly see his stats are better, but he also has much better items than me at the moment (I basically went with the best stats for the cheapest amount of money).

Thoughts?

Our stats aren't that different, though? If we had matching items (BOEs with gems), we would be pretty similar in terms of DPS, right?
You have 11k str, he has 17k.. 6k difference that's probably 150k+ dps.

Our stats aren't that different, though? If we had matching items (BOEs with gems), we would be pretty similar in terms of DPS, right?
Cronk would have more DPS due to the 6k Strength advantage + little bit of Crit/Mastery,

STR is what your ability damage is based off & secondary are multipliers of that,
so without a decent STR you won't get as good of an effect from secondaries.

Heres an example that's a bit rough: Say there is 2 Aff Locks, One has 10k Int 200% Mastery the other has 20k Int 125% Mastery, the Lock with 10k Int and 200% mastery will only be doing 20k hits the lock with 20k Int 125% mastery will be doing 25k hits. Edit: Aff Lock mastery boosts dot damage by the %.

Last edited:
You have 11k str, he has 17k.. 6k difference that's probably 150k+ dps.

You have to calculate our very different items as well. He has higher item level than me, while having many "non-legion" (840+) items.

Cronk would have more DPS due to the 6k Strength advantage + little bit of Crit/Mastery,

STR is what your ability damage is based off & secondary are multipliers of that,
so without a decent STR you won't get as good of an effect from secondaries.

Heres an example that's a bit rough: Say there is 2 Aff Locks, One has 10k Int 200% Mastery the other has 20k Int 125% Mastery, the Lock with 10k Int and 200% mastery will only be doing 20k hits the lock with 20k Int 125% mastery will be doing 25k hits. Edit: Aff Lock mastery boosts dot damage by the %.

That's fair and everything, but the Strength also comes from the items there is higher level than mine. Remember, my items are worse than his, even though I have the Legion 840+ items, whereas he doesn't. I haven't calculated how much extra Strength he gets because of that, but I'm guessing it's about half.

You have to calculate our very different items as well. He has higher item level than me, while having many "non-legion" (840+) items.

That's fair and everything, but the Strength also comes from the items there is higher level than mine. Remember, my items are worse than his, even though I have the Legion 840+ items, whereas he doesn't. I haven't calculated how much extra Strength he gets because of that, but I'm guessing it's about half.

I just calculated it, Cronk has 3,148 Str bonus increase from iLvl (including legendary waist) which still leaves a 3k STR difference. 797 Str bonus without Waist.

IMO he will still pull more dps with that 3k str, but it's hard to tell for sure because so many things are in play.

Last edited:
I just calculated it, Cronk has 3,148 Str bonus increase from iLvl (including legendary waist) which still leaves a 3k STR difference. 797 Str difference without Waist.

IMO he will still pull more dps with that 3k str, but it's hard to tell for sure because so many things are in play.

Exactly my argument. So 3000 Strength but I gain A BUNCH of Crit and Mastery. So at the cost of Strength, I get Crit, Mastery, and a higher item level, basically.

Exactly my argument. So 3000 Strength but I gain A BUNCH of Crit and Mastery. So at the cost of Strength, I get Crit, Mastery, and a higher item level, basically.

iLvl should not be taken into account because it has no benefit with off pieces, as of now you are lower Crit/Mastery and I don't think the secondary stat upgrade from the Legendary will get you past the benefit of 3k str.

Edit: Why not just test with your current gear? use your set of full Plate test your DPS switch on the off pieces and test again you will see what will benefit you more.

iLvl should not be taken into account because it has no benefit with off pieces, as of now you are lower Crit/Mastery and I don't think the secondary stat upgrade from the Legendary will get you past the benefit of 3k str.

Edit: Why not just test with your current gear? use your set of full Plate test your DPS switch on the off pieces and test again you will see what will benefit you more.

Again, lower than HIM because of his higher item level. Look at this without his armory profile and stats. If you look at the bare items, it will be Strength vs Crit, Mastery, and item level basically.

Again, lower than HIM because of his higher item level. Look at this without his armory profile and stats. If you look at the bare items, it will be Strength vs Crit, Mastery, and item level basically.

iLvl upgrades don't provide much in terms of secondaries, I think when I was upgrading my druid to 860+ pieces it was mainly 10-20 difference on secondaries i'd see, majority of it being Intellect/Stam bonuses. Again this is a very bad way to compare what you are trying to, you would be better off testing it with your current setup instead of to someone else with a different setup on different regions xD.

iLvl upgrades don't provide much in terms of secondaries, I think when I was upgrading my druid to 860+ pieces it was mainly 10-20 difference on secondaries i'd see, majority of it being Intellect/Stam bonuses. Again this is a very bad way to compare what you are trying to, you would be better off testing it with your current setup instead of to someone else with a different setup on different regions xD.

Yeah and that's why I am asking: Is it worth going for the extra Strength, when I lose a lot of my secondary stats? Also yeah, it's better to try.. when I get the items haha.

Yeah and that's why I am asking: Is it worth going for the extra Strength, when I lose a lot of my secondary stats? Also yeah, it's better to try.. when I get the items haha.

Opps my mistake, I thought you had traded from STR pieces to BoE. I'm sure you could pick up a few 710's for those spots from dungeons fairly quick, it wouldn't be the most accurate representation compared to mythic HFC gear but it'll at least give you a feel for it, but I would for sure grab those Quest legs before testing since you probably want to use those either way.

Last edited:
Burst (30 seconds)
TPKLMm9.png

Sustained (3-5 mins)
JdL1CEm.png

Summary
Use whatever the hell you want, there's like no difference in it. If you care about minmaxing for a 0.2%-2.0% dps increase then go with strength for burst and shoulders/wrists for sustained. If you'd rather have more hp, go for the shoulders/wrists/legs.

Burst (30 seconds)
-snip-

Sustained (3-5 mins)
-snip-

Summary
Use whatever the hell you want, there's like no difference in it. If you care about minmaxing for a 0.2%-2.0% dps increase then go with strength for burst and shoulders/wrists for sustained. If you'd rather have more hp, go for the shoulders/wrists/legs.

That's very cool. So for utter maximum DPS, I should go for the lower level Strength gear. Gotcha.

How did you create that stuff? SimulationCraft?

That's very cool. So for utter maximum DPS, I should go for the lower level Strength gear. Gotcha.

How did you create that stuff? SimulationCraft?
It will depend on the ilvl of the BoE (I used 850s here) and also whether either has a socket. But yeh, I used SimulationCraft.

Users who are viewing this thread