World of Warcraft's Final Antagonists.

Magrain

Veteran
(Warning, the following is a long ass paragraph. There wont be a TL;DR. Ignore this thread if you dont want to read.)

Aight since the final cutscene after the Sanctum of Domination raid has been released, and we got a new taste of Thanosvaal's new look, always wanted to make a thread and see other people's thoughts about WoW's final antagonists as a whole. See how WoW's design and development aged (Probably like Milk) through the years and shit. Overall we shall be giving a rating of all 9 WoW antagonists depending on Looks, Design, Origins and motives. Of course, this all depends on the perspective of the individual, this shit isnt 100% accurate nor is it rocket science. But rank Arthas/Lich King lower than top 1 and your opinion is invalid you scrub. Feel free to choose what antag to rank based on your opinions and merits. You can make a tier-list maker if you want but im going to be a bit creative and draw every individual character and rank him.(Note, SL's final antagonist hasnt been stated exactly but we will take Zovaal as an already established one. Fuck you Blizzard if you changed him at the last second). The antagonist here will be listed in an ascending order, from Vanilla to now.

-Kel'thuzad: The character certainly has that unique design, with his skeletal figure and some hint of that egyptian Pharaoh inspiration to him of the so-called mummies curse but with a twist of the cold touch of the grave and death. But anything from that, nothing really stands out for me atleast. In life he was a mage in the Kirin'Tor who was into Necrophilia. And a loyal henchmen of the Lich King and once actual good friend to Arthas in his DeathKnight reign. To me Kel'thuzad died forever in WoTLK. Shadowlands just further butchers a once good character and everything goes downhill from here. And not to mention they changed his voice actor. Over all, ill give him overall 5/10.

-Kel'Jeaden: His looks is kinda generic when it comes to evil space demon. Nothing stands out at all, with the basic red colored skin and fel-infused energy. Admittedly I hated how Illidan was replaced from being the last Antagonist of TBC and was made Kil'jeaden. But Legion kinda developed a more vulnerable side of him that actually made me love and respect him. His back-story and his fear that Sargeras will never be stopped hence why he joined him, and his later regret and hesitation after the defeat of Gul'dan in Nighthold. He started to question Sargeras' crusade and whether theyre going to actually take over Azeroth or not. And the last lamenting moments between him and Velen is the icing on the cake, subverting ones view of something which was impossible to possible. 7/10

-Arthas-The Lich King: Think we all know where this is going so im going to TL;DR this shit. 10/10 best shit Blizzard has ever produced.

Neltharion-DeathWing: Im a total sucker for dragons or anything dragonkin related. So it aint a surprise that I fucking adore Deathwing's looks and design. A flaming dragon, thats what it takes to impress me lmao. But when it comes to story, Deathwing wasnt actually pulled from Blizzad ass. If I can remember Deathwing pre-dates even Vanilla WoW itself. The unreleased Warcraft adventures had Deathwing as an antagonist, though maybe not fleshed out as he is now. And in WC3, while malfurion was freeing his brother, he did mention "Damn Spawns of Deathwing" to the black dragon flight. But as for his story, its the classic good gone bad corruption by the Old Gods (Notably N'Zoth) Who impacted the War of the Ancients and the Sundering we all know today. And returned back actually changing the game itself to a whole new shattered world. No antagonist has ever done that. All they do is just add new zones. 7.5/10

-Garrosh Hellscream: I love orcs, I love Grommash Hellscream. And I fucking salute, respect and love his son Garrosh Hellscream. The barbaric culture of the Orcish horde is probably my most favorite thing in all of Warcraft lore. He looks badass af and called Sylvanas a bitch which is a +.
His story line is vast, deep and fleshed out. Starting as the poor orc who was shunned by his clan's people by his father's sins in the past. Condemning the orcs to serve the demon lord Mannoroth and the Legion. But after Thrall took him under his wing, he understood that his Father was a hero, a definition of a true prideful orc who's name echoed as years past. Gradually Garrosh took the reigns as the Warmaster of the Horde, commanding the fleet against the Lich King and achieving victory in Northrend. Then promoted to the Warchief of the Horde. And the rest is history. 10/10

-Archimond: 0/10 antagonist. Its not fucking Grommash Hellscream. 0/10 Biggest Ass Pull I have ever seen. Wasted ass potential of an expansion.

-Argus The Unmaker: Its a titan, a god damn godly being. We come toe to toe with a colossal planet's soul and watch the beauty that is Argus. A hate-filled titan fueled with a thousand years of torment and air pollution thanks to Sargeras' Burning Legion. Its enough to make a titan sick, and he is the 2nd Antagonist to canonically kill the player character (Arthas was the 1st). Meaning non of us stood a chance if the Pantheon had not intervened. How badass can you get? He wields a sythe aswell, mega-badass and epic. His color scheme and the astrology esthetic is what makes him great looking. 9/10

-N'zoth the Corrupter. As much as I love Old-God lore and the gritty Love-Craftian horror as an inspiration, Blizzard kinda cucked him alot. 5 expanions of build up and many rumors and puzzles that mention him and the fabled N'yalotha, only for the game to just half-bake the empire and the raid into a shitty instance and an anitclimactic ending. There was an infinite amount of potential but all burned just to cinders. 2/10

-Zooval the Jailer: Think by now everyone said it, but here it goes. His lore sucks, his intentions are still unknown to us, his motives makes no sense. His just evil for the sake of being evil. Generic bald villain 101. Blizzard just doesnt care anymore. Ill will give him props, his new form after the sanctum of domination looks so damn superb. 0/10

Last edited:
CBT.png

Sponsored by Microsoft-Paint™

Tbh I think we jumped the gun waaay to far in legion. Even though it was my fav xpac pve wise, we went from pounding some orange orc cheeks into messing around with titan affairs, then back to getting clapped by pigs in bfa, which is why bfa was so jarring. Then now we are back to messing with at least titan level power cosmic characters.

It would have been fine if they existed, but the fact that we mess directly with them is a bit.. ehhhhhh?

Barely scrapes the problem but yeah.

tbh who cares
wow lore's been pulled out of the ass ever since patch 1.4

Gave you a like for the drawing - which clearly took a long time and is well done.

I've never cared that much for WoW's lore. It's fun to learn stuff I knew nothing about, just because the story almost feels like a comic book. I think Blizzard, over the years, has failed to fully utilize their game to tell its own story.

But here I am still waiting to hear tidbits about whether Sylvanas Bad or Sylvanas Good.

The story ended in Wrath. Everything since then has been just... meh.
I liked MoP a lot, but not Cata.

So for me, I really agree with this....But it briefly came back to being really good and then meh again after that.

Okay, really good by WoW terms. Not really good compared to most top tier RPGs lol

Also, let's be real. The final boss of WoTLK was Halion. Glory to the twilight dragon.

The story ended in Wrath. Everything since then has been just... meh.
yeah but most of the lore's been pulled out of the ass well before that

yeah but most of the lore's been pulled out of the ass well before that
Yeah, I'd have to agree. The lore is ever changing and retcons happen seemingly multiple times an expansion.

Some of it, I'm sure was long in the works. The majority? Probably just complete retcons for the sake of wanting changes or ignoring the past.

Lazy writing.

yeah im not talking about the main storyline but all the (pointless) tangents like ulduar in 3.x

As chops mentioned, I always envisioned everything post Wrath to be a Fever Dream the player character is having.
But what really concerns me, majority of people here kinda missed my threads main point (Which is understandable since its long af).
The purpose of it was to rank each antagonist according to looks/lore, a tier-list if you will. I just made mine differently because for creativity's sake. Was expecting yall to give your opnions on each one. But guess the thread will be buried and forgotten like any other thread which is a shame.

Last edited:
Huh, thought it would of been 1 of the void lords as the final boss, o well.

If you did u should be able to provide a tldr ;)

honestly, I’d thought the picture at the bottom was the tldr.

I've only liked Lich King, Illidan, Garrosh Hellscream and Gul'dan.

I have never liked the "Old Gods" like C'Thun, Yogg-Saron, N'Zoth etc.

I do like the Jailer, when they are more human-like. Never been into Archimonde, Kil'jaeden etc however.

I absolutely love Titans, the Shaa creatures of MoP and the Nightborne (Nighthold) part in Legion

Dragons are OK, but it feels like they keep adding 1 dragon boss each raid/expansion just to please the fans. I've grown bored of them. Ragnaros is also quite cool

It's too early to judge Shadowlands. I really liked what they were doing with Sylvanas and try to bring back Horde vs. Alliance feelings again - and then it was part of a bigger plan. The Jailer seems really cool and I would like if they showed us more of Elune, if not Elune herself.

944052.jpg

Shadowlands has gotten really complex lore wise and I love it! I just hope they won't fuck it up

I've only liked Lich King, Illidan, Garrosh Hellscream and Gul'dan.

I have never liked the "Old Gods" like C'Thun, Yogg-Saron, N'Zoth etc.

I do like the Jailer, when they are more human-like. Never been into Archimonde, Kil'jaeden etc however.

I absolutely love Titans, the Shaa creatures of MoP and the Nightborne (Nighthold) part in Legion

Dragons are OK, but it feels like they keep adding 1 dragon boss each raid/expansion just to please the fans. I've grown bored of them. Ragnaros is also quite cool

It's too early to judge Shadowlands. I really liked what they were doing with Sylvanas and try to bring back Horde vs. Alliance feelings again - and then it was part of a bigger plan. The Jailer seems really cool and I would like if they showed us more of Elune, if not Elune herself.

944052.jpg

Shadowlands has gotten really complex lore wise and I love it! I just hope they won't fuck it up
Its extremely rare to find someone actually enjoying Shadowlands content, mostly its bashing and hating on modern wow stuff. But hey props for enjoying SL lore, just wish they would give us a better scope on why the Jailer who he is rn and whats his final goal. I love it when a character has an ultimate goal that provides us, the players an urgency to over-throw him instead of the generic bad kill bad.

Users who are viewing this thread