Will dagger rog be valid in tbc???

Crowdctrl

Veteran
Yo, I've been playing backstabb spec for most time of classic.
I know it's not optimal for most situation and a little bit of a meme, but I still think I found a gd way/playstyle to make it somewhat valid.

Now for the question. Do you guys still think it will somewhat work or is it a no go with the new talent trees??
Let me hear your arguements and thoughts.

If you're gonna PVE, swords is the meta and for good reason. Dagger can only keep up during T4 phase, after that it becomes severely worse than swords.

For PVP, there's about 5(?) good dagger builds.

Also, this question gets asked all the time, everywhere, if ya google "dagger tbc rogue". The consensus is that daggers don't become great for pve or pvp until wotlk (outside of sealed fate rogue in classic) because even in tbc pvp, shadowstep hemo spec is top spec and doesn't rely on daggers.
63wvwz4.png

[doublepost=1618087667,1618087439][/doublepost]The caveat to this I would say tho, is that if you're good with weapon swap macros and you are well-versed in the fights, you can swap between daggers for ambush/backstab bursts while using thistle tea, and swords for everything in-between and net a pretty decent damage boost if done well**

Yeah, thats what I thought. My biggest concern r just the talent swap. Improved Backstabb now in Assa which will make you choose between Imp BS, Imp Gouge.

338.5+273.65 = 612.15 Swing x 0.75 = 459.1125+22.8 = 481.91 Dagger Build
267.88+301.5 = 569.38 Swing x 0.75 = 427.035+17.76+4+43.2= 492.00 Sword Build
[9:48 AM]
There we have it
[9:48 AM]
at a 25% armor situation

Credit Cowblackout ETPG. (Damage over 8 second timeframe)
The less the armour, the better dagger becomes, at 0% armour Dagger damage is actually slightly better. But nobody walks around naked unfortunately, especially not bear FCs

I think that these numbers actually become more one sided in TBC due to sword spec being buffed by Dual Weild shadowfang, where as daggers remains the same. (Factoring out the changes that benefit both, I.E. leg armours). Its not that far of a difference for now, 2-3% only, so its viable, but sub optimal if you are wanting to min-max damage.

thank u to cowblackout for testing 19 spec/gear choices if we ever get a mythic+ deadmines key

Users who are viewing this thread