Why you reveal all of your secrets?

Kaløyan

Grandfathered
Why do you guys give "guides" to other players? Why the hell do you reveal all of your secrets?
Isnt the point to be a twink to be better than others? Why you give all these guides to teach new players what items to get and to be equal with you? Or maybe you are fooling the other guys from your bracket to get shit gear and shit stats?

In 20-29 bracket, all of you guid the MM Hunters to stack as many "Haste" as they can, but that is wrong! Im playing all "Versatility" and its a insta-kill when you cast "Aimed-Shot". Haste isnt usefull at all.
[doublepost=1547344438,1547343779][/doublepost]My point is, why do you share the "best" items with the other guys from your bracket? Why just dont keep it for yourself and be the best player in the bracket. What is the satisfaction of sharing things?

Last edited:
Making guides increases accessibility which in turn helps activity. Activity = pops and competition = fun. Others like to get credit for being smart/knowledgeable, guides are a way to demonstrate this.

Things like stat priorities aren't really secrets. If you're effective, people will just armory you and copy.

It's only annoying when someone draws attention to something (usually a pseudo-exploit) in a big way and it gets patched by Blizzard. Sharing gearing tips is pretty innocuous.

Sharing is caring my friend.
<3

With this said I will adding to my engineering guide today. And possibly make an Alchemy guide.

/cheers

Why do you guys give "guides" to other players? Why the hell do you reveal all of your secrets?
Isnt the point to be a twink to be better than others? Why you give all these guides to teach new players what items to get and to be equal with you? Or maybe you are fooling the other guys from your bracket to get shit gear and shit stats?

This is actually a legit question, and the hypocrisy that shows up in these forums on a regular basis demonstrates why.

People enjoy PvP, making an impact with both gear and skill advantages. We all started with this -- witnessing one player obliterate other players (or live forever against several players), and wanting to know how we could do the same. It takes considerable work to understand WoW's complex systems and then optimize for such in any given bracket (including endgame). Developing and sharing information elevates likeminded, dedicated players, creates a camaraderie, and eventually a community. When we step on the field and see a familiar name, or see a new player with a bunch of gear we recognize, we know it: that's someone who put some time and effort into making the most of this game, right here, right now. That's why the fishing hat is so iconic for twinks, even if we've never played in the 19 bracket.

But once we get into massive advantages, suddenly intentions diverge. Whether it's ilvl 180 BfA gear, Big Daddies and Bolt Guns back in Cata at 70, Embersilk bandages at 39 (also cata), Enti's quenched sword, or even exploited XP-on queues, some people get all secretive because they have a ton of fun with these overlooked items or loopholes in game code. We happily denounce Flavor of the Month character choices and broken consumables, but hoo boy, don't nerf my special iwin stick!

People can twink to push their competitive advantage (skill and gear) as far as it can go, while at the same time respecting that the context needs to be worthwhile i.e. players on the losing end can figure out why they lost, and decide if they want to step up or get out. But if a player simply wants to troll opponents, regardless of whether Blizzard intended the possibility or not, then the best we can hope for is misanthropic destruction, which requires segregation and secrecy to preserve itself. To quote the Ender's Game movie, "How we win, matters".

TL;DR: Some people's idea of fun is to increase advantage with and against fellow fans of PvP. Other people's idea of fun is to attain unrivaled superiority over others. World of Warcraft and XPoff.com promote both approaches.

The better your opponents become, the better you are forced to be.

So yeah, if your goal is to trully be the best, you need to practice against the best. So that's why guides are important. I quit WoW but the same logic is applied to the fighting games I play.

Unless it's in a tournament, I'll always tell my opponents why they are losing against me. That way I'm forced to chage tactics and so I become even better.

Users who are viewing this thread