Which would be less complicated? (19 or 20)

Jonjonho

Veteran
So I have an account without game time and I want to create a rogue twink. Just to have fun in bgs.

Should I stop xp at lvl 19 or go for lvl 20?

Which would be less complicated in terms of gearing and professions?

Also, is there anything one has to do before dinging 19 or 20?

I would say gearing wise they are exactly the same unless I'm missing out on knowlage. Bur from my personal experiance the most fun is to create a F2P/Vet account and get it to 20 and wait till sub runs out on the Vet account. The issue with 19 twinking is that you are forced to do xp-off BG's while if you are a level 20 F2P/Unsubbed with xp-on you can que the "xp-on" BG's witch pop pretty much every couple minutes.

I would say gearing wise they are exactly the same unless I'm missing out on knowlage. Bur from my personal experiance the most fun is to create a F2P/Vet account and get it to 20 and wait till sub runs out on the Vet account. The issue with 19 twinking is that you are forced to do xp-off BG's while if you are a level 20 F2P/Unsubbed with xp-on you can que the "xp-on" BG's witch pop pretty much every couple minutes.

I don't think I need to pay for a month and then wait for sub to run out, since I can create a character on starter accound and ding 20 without turning off xp?

I don't think I need to pay for a month and then wait for sub to run out, since I can create a character on starter accound and ding 20 without turning off xp?

I believe there's quite a few pieces from Burning Crusade with gem slots that level 19's don't have access to.

If you create a character on a starter account you'll have all the limitations of a starter account. The biggest drawback is the fact that you cannot use the Auction House (no access to mail) so you won't be able to kit your twink out with enchants, gems and level professions quickly.

This is just one of the limitations of a starter account, the other big drawback is the fact you cannot speak to those higher than 10 levels than yourself, no direct whisper, no trade/general chat. Thus finding groups for dungeons or boosts is difficult unless you already have friends to help you.

Apart from that, free to play are probably in the strongest position they've been in for a while. The limitations on a lot of professions are gone and the gold cap has increased from 10 to 1000, a huge number of zones have been opened up too.

However, someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think you can use chromie time as a free to play... this is quick a big limitation.

Check out this guide which is being updated daily to brush up on free to play:
https://xpoff.com/threads/shadowlands-f2p-baseline-guide.94609/page-2#post-1247954

Last edited:
However, someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think you can use chromie time as a free to play... this is quick a big limitation.

You can if the F2P account is linked to a bnet with an active sub account/max level.

Also, as someone who has played 19s since Vanilla and is just now dipping their toe into the world of vet/f2p 20s, I would highly recommend 20. Quick bg queues because you queue into xp on bgs, epic mounts, pvp talents, more abilities. I started as a linked F2P just to test the waters and see how I liked it and im already regretting not just going vet account from the start

Last edited:
a vet is probably a bit more "complicated" to set up initially but will be less complicated down the line because you wont have to worry about organizing games. Sure, you gotta wait for your account to go inactive but now is the time to do that. Buy a month, gear up, buy a bunch of spare gems and enchant scrolls (like seriously, double stacks of spares here) and whatever consumes you may want. But keep in mind that garrison can get you drums, we have access to glider tinker so you wont need those, Alchemist flask is still bis, etc so you wont need to stock up on much.

Once youve done all that, you can let your sub expire and enjoy casual BGs all day every day. Super simple.

Users who are viewing this thread