Which tank(s) do the most [PvE] damage?

Zorch

Hey, everyone — I have a bit of experience with Protection Paladin at 20 and under, but haven’t ever rolled Blood DK, BM Monk, Prot Warrior, or Guardian Druid.

Anyone have any clue which spec puts out the most damage at level 20 in PvE? Actually, I don’t particularly care if it’s PvE or PvP I guess — since you probably can’t be the top in one and not the other (right?).

To be honest, Druids seem boring as fuck, so I’m hoping that’s not the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Also, is something messed up on this site? I can’t tell you how many times I log in, post almost immediately, and get the red error message “You must be logged in to do that”, and I’ll have to log in again just for it to post...

I understand timeouts and whatnot, but unless there’s literally like a 30-second timeout, something isn’t working as intended or is a major f’ing pain in the ass if it is supposed to be that way.

Prot pally is great PvE, not sure there's an equal. Druid isnt going to be quite as good so your hopes can be answered.

I didnt even try BM cuz they dont get keg smash until like 22? Prot warrior kind of lacks the heals I need (solo).

Are you talking solo or just overall? Cuz blood has rot damage with disease, could add up quick in AoE-heavy situations and you dont need the targets to be attacking you to do the damage (say like in PvP) like Ppallygdruid kinda does.

There's a lot of variables in PvP that will affect the outcome, so I'm not sure you'll get what you want in that question.

Also, is something messed up on this site? I can’t tell you how many times I log in, post almost immediately, and get the red error message “You must be logged in to do that”, and I’ll have to log in again just for it to post...

I understand timeouts and whatnot, but unless there’s literally like a 30-second timeout, something isn’t working as intended or is a major f’ing pain in the ass if it is supposed to be that way.
I think the site is still set to back up every hour and if you catch it while its doing that, you can sometimes get some goofy errors

Prot pally is great PvE, not sure there's an equal. Druid isnt going to be quite as good so your hopes can be answered.

I didnt even try BM cuz they dont get keg smash until like 22? Prot warrior kind of lacks the heals I need (solo).

Are you talking solo or just overall? Cuz blood has rot damage with disease, could add up quick in AoE-heavy situations and you dont need the targets to be attacking you to do the damage (say like in PvP) like Ppallygdruid kinda does.

There's a lot of variables in PvP that will affect the outcome, so I'm not sure you'll get what you want in that question.
Honestly, I was thinking of trying a 2-man dungeon group just to mess around.

I know there are specs that can solo dungeons, but that requires setups, full gemming, gearing, taking your time, etc. Also, I think a straight DPS class would take too much damage (without cheesing) and/or healer would pull aggro from having to heal them too much.

I’m kind of intrigued by Prot Warrior and a healer... they would [probably] always be full on Rage, so could spam Whirlwind and Revenge pretty much non-stop for Crusader procs and whatnot. Who knows. I’m basically interested in 2-manning dungeons and want a tank that can crank out some damage and may mesh really well with a healer.
[doublepost=1614195059,1614194075][/doublepost]
I think the site is still set to back up every hour and if you catch it while its doing that, you can sometimes get some goofy errors
Ahhh, so it’s just me being complainy! I’ll take it, haha.

I've had great success with a full str gemmed prot paladin. I have about 228 str for dungeons with flask not counting crusader. With the aoe damage from shield bash and consecration, plus judgment hitting like a truck, you can put out a LOT of damage. You can get away with full str because of the strong heals from WOG and flash of light as well.

I've had great success with a full str gemmed prot paladin. I have about 228 str for dungeons with flask not counting crusader. With the aoe damage from shield bash and consecration, plus judgment hitting like a truck, you can put out a LOT of damage. You can get away with full str because of the strong heals from WOG and flash of light as well.
Interesting — is this Prot Paladin actually your Holy Paladin just with a totally separate set of gear, or a different character altogether?

Also, what do you use this Prot Paladin for; strictly tanking dungeons/PvE shenanigans or PvP? Or both! I’d never thought of going full HAM with Str on a Prot Pally, although the idea intrigues me now...

Couldn’t their inherent durability with that kind of damage output be crazy in PvP?

Interesting — is this Prot Paladin actually your Holy Paladin just with a totally separate set of gear, or a different character altogether?

Also, what do you use this Prot Paladin for; strictly tanking dungeons/PvE shenanigans or PvP? Or both! I’d never thought of going full HAM with Str on a Prot Pally, although the idea intrigues me now...

Couldn’t their inherent durability with that kind of damage output be crazy in PvP?

diff set of gear, I usually have a few sets in the bags. I'll log out in it so you can see. Its strictly for pve. I don't really like playing dps in pvp honestly.

The biggest issue with tank specs in pvp is that they take 50% more damage

should be logged out in it now (might take a bit to update) its basically just all bc gear with max str possible including set bonuses and +3 str gems

For level 20, Prot Paladin is S tier/God tier/best pve tank... DK tank is second tier viabile, if geared properly (versa/mastery), also rather good for soloing dungeon.... Monk BM is great on aoe, but do not have much of the core skills that would make it viable (But with the mention that if you want to Target some specific dungeons, a lvl 10 BM monk is also S tier /parity
with the paladin).... Sadly last tier would be guardian druid/prot warr.... Even with OP gear and enchants (Bramble staff/Crusader). One very wierd mention - prot warr with haste/versa stacking gear, like hitting some wierd breakpoints or something, was having almost the same lvl of sustain as a DK (to be tested more în the future).

Whelp... the one plus about druid would be guardian/resto combo for cheesing past trash with stealth. Only reason to.
That’s actually a wonderful point... I wonder if Guardian Druid with Staff of the One True Bramble King along with a Resto Druid healing would be good!

I've mostly done Gdruid at 15 with the staff but it's strong for that level... but still not as good at prot pally.

20 would likely just widen the gap a little. BUT, that was solo and the main annoyance was shifting out of form to heal on the druid - which you wouldnt have to do with a healer along. And honestly the heals would mostly be doing DPS anyway.

So aside from the stealthing past trash, it would be what healer can do the best DPS and occasionally heal the tank?

At 20 the tanks can all solo stuff, you're really just trying to speed up the process.

edit- and there's mechanics to consider too, such as the fact that (at 15) my gdruid can solo Rezan faster than my prot pally because druid has damage on the move where prot only has judgement on a cooldown for ranged attack...

At 20 the tanks can all solo stuff, you're really just trying to speed up the process.

Absolutely right — I’m basically just trying to see what combo could do it the fastest with the two.

If I didn’t go the Stealth route, I wonder how a Disc priest healer played offensively with Atonement and taking the Schism talent would do... you could basically bubble the tank and just DPS the whole time (maybe?) to keep healing the tank.
[doublepost=1614208974,1614208186][/doublepost]@Warglave — long shot here, but... do you have any idea if Ironbark (from Resto) works/synergizes with Guardian’s Bramble talent like Barksin does?

imo from running dungeons
damage wise: 1. Prot pally 2. prot warrior 3. Blood dk 4. Bm monk (not like keg smash did alot of damage anyway) 5. Dh vengeance (really poor single target damage, aoe is decent tho)

didnt play bear tank

I think I’ve narrowed the options down to:

1) Str-gemmed Prot Pally with an offensive Disc Priest healer.

2) Str-gemmed Prot Pally with an offensive Holy Pally (which I’ve heard can also pump out the damage)... this combo is equally as intriguing as the one above. Could be interesting for AoE potential if spec’d with Blessed Hammer on Prot and Light’s Hammer on Holy for a totally of x2 Consecration, Avenger’s Shield, Blessed Hammer, and Light’s Hammer all at the same time.

3) Guardian Druid with Bramble King staff and Resto Druid healer for double the dungeon cheesing via Stealthing to bosses.

I’m torn!

@Zorch The answer to your quandary is Protection Paladin my friend. I have tried every class that can tank (soloed Classic DM with most of them, and have another write up incoming on my next one). For soling purposes on my prot paladin I could easily clip up to 180dps while self healing, and that was with a mixed set. On full strength sets with high crit you can break 200 easily. No other class I've played that's a tank comes close to putting up those numbers and is capable of pulling off the "solo" on the hardest bosses I've done so far.

Users who are viewing this thread