Is there a way to farm specific items with higher item levels?

Anonymous

Hey so basically since the last update I've seen some odd items appearing on the AH with high Item levels - for example on Blades edge EU there is a sword, required level 27 but item level 35. I've also seen fiery war axes at level 38 and not the normal 35 with an item level of 51 (the normal item level at 39 required is 44) - the same also happens in the 40 - 49 bracket with fiery war axe, bloodrazor etc appearing as a level 48 item with item level 61 ( a big leap from the set item level for level 49 items).

So I was wondering is there a way to farm these items with a specific higher item level and if so how do I go about this? Is it as simple as making a character just a few levels higher than the required item level and farming on that? Again if so what level should you be if you want to farm a specific item?

What crazy item level BOE items have you come across? I am still yet to see a BOE higher than the typical 24-25 in the 10-19 bracket however

I hope this thread makes sense and any help is greatly apreciated

Running dungeons is a good way to get higher ilvl BoEs. Though I can’t work out exactly how scaling works. For greens, it’s all over the place. At lvl 20, I quite often get ilvl 23’s, but also a range of ilvls from 19 to 23. Sometimes I get higher but they are unusable at lvl 20.

Blues are also a little odd, some scaling to level others seem to not scale to a useable level. Dungeon blues on 20 are ilvl 26, but I’ve managed to get an ilvl 28 Blue BoE on a 20 that’s also useable.

I’d say run some dungeons and u will eventually get some higher ilvl BoE’s.

Good luck.

Ps - not sure if people have farmed higher level zones and what their findings are. I’m planning on giving that a go soon.

This is just what I have found for items under level 60. I am not sure if it is 100% accurate.

World Drop BoE Weapon epics drop at x8 and x3 required levels and will be +13 ilevels over the required level.

World Drop BoE Armor epics drop at x7 and x2 required levels and will be +13 ilevels over the required level.

World Drop BoE Weapon blues drop at x7 and x2 required levels and will be +8 ilevels over the required level.

World Drop BoE Armor blues drop at x5 and x0 required levels and will be +8 ilevels over the required level.

Instance/Mob Specific epics drop at the player's current level as the required level and will be +12 ilevels over the required level.

Instance/Mob Specific blues drop at the player's current level as the required level and will be +6 ilevels over the required level.

The items appear to drop at the highest required level that you would be able to currently use.

I would also like to mention that there does seem to be minimum levels on the instance specific items, but I am uncertain as to whether or not that translates into the open world. I have seen cases where items have lower required levels from what they used to require.

Also, greens do seem to follow a similar trend to world drops, but I didn't look into it much due to the old pre-patch greens having higher ilevels. Old versions of items seem to still drop in SM Cath and inside of chests as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Do you have any theories regarding epics now dropping at lower than their typical required level and above? For example bloodrazor the 44 epic sword I have seen at 38 and 48 - would we just spam an instance on a level 48 49 or 38 39 for this? If so where would you farm it if its now dropping at a much lower req level than before?

Thanks for the response. Do you have any theories regarding epics now dropping at lower than their typical required level and above? For example bloodrazor the 44 epic sword I have seen at 38 and 48 - would we just spam an instance on a level 48 49 or 38 39 for this? If so where would you farm it if its now dropping at a much lower req level than before?

Theoretically, if you farm with a level 38-42 you could get Bloodrazor to drop as a level 38 item. You would need to be at least at the minimum level to be able to loot from the mobs, (unless someone has a method around that).

Last edited:
Yeah, it was in a dungeon. But I’ve also had blue BoE’s that didn’t scale down to 20 in a dungeon.
I can’t work out the pattern. I just think some items slipped through Blizz’s fingers with the scaling tech.

Do you remember if the blues that did not scale down to 20 were rolled on? Items from chests are still on group loot and are not subject to the scaling tech.

There are also certain instances where mobs are still on group loot rather than personal. Which again, makes them not subject to the scaling tech.

Instances that are higher than what you can queue for in the dungeon finder will drop items with a minimum level requirement of the dungeon finder. I have not tested whether or not world BoE drops that drop in a higher level dungeon follow this pattern though.

Do you remember if the blues that did not scale down to 20 were rolled on? Items from chests are still on group loot and are not subject to the scaling tech.

There are also certain instances where mobs are still on group loot rather than personal. Which again, makes them not subject to the scaling tech.

Instances that are higher than what you can queue for in the dungeon finder will drop items with a minimum level requirement of the dungeon finder. I have not tested whether or not world BoE drops that drop in a higher level dungeon follow this pattern though.
I’ve been soloing Gnomer and that’s were the blue BoE’s have been dropping. That’s were I got the ilvl 28 one, but also some BoE’s that scaled above me so I couldn’t use it. I have a few screenshots at home which I can post later tonight.
I notice chests don’t scale, but it’s strange how the blues scale differently in the same dungeon. ThinkingFace

I’ve been soloing Gnomer and that’s were the blue BoE’s have been dropping. That’s were I got the ilvl 28 one, but also some BoE’s that scaled above me so I couldn’t use it. I have a few screenshots at home which I can post later tonight.
I notice chests don’t scale, but it’s strange how the blues scale differently in the same dungeon. ThinkingFace

Yeah, I would like to see those screenshots.

Boes scaling differently is dependent on whether or not they are specific to the dungeon/mob or whether they are a world drop as far as I can tell.

If you are getting BoEs above your required level, that may mean that world drop BoEs drop to whatever level the character is closest to...

i have done some research on this
paid close attention to higher lvl people i dungeon with when they grab green boes
a lot of the results are inconsistent
i suspect it is because items were added in waves along with expansions
so maybe the new item overhaul has not hit every single loot table
because you can still find some boes with their original clvl req and ilvl
nePKKdXJ_o.jpg

while others show the new scaling features
Zb1I0j7s_o.jpg

this lvl 28 dude looted a green boe that originates in a dungeon too low lvl for him
so the green boe gets scaled down 7 lvls for the clvl req of 21 and ilvl of 24
however when i looted green boes as a lvl 20 in lowbie dungeons
it was either clvl req 16 with ilvl 19
or clvl req of 13 with ilvl 16

also when i ran gnomer with a friend
i found that clvl req and ilvl on items remain what they should be for that zone
but the scaling feature nerfs the stats of the item to be on compareable with ilvl 26 gear i equip

armor value doesnt seem to suffer the scaling squish
but the stats on those ilvl 30 cloth boots seem low

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread