What have been the worst grinds in twinking history?

pallyallah

Veteran
so i'm sat here painfully grinding away on my f2p towards around 3k addy ore for the gems and it got me thinking; what other grinds have been really painful?

off the top of my head there have been the obvious ones like the pouch back in vanilla and perhaps getting herb/mining up back when they used to give you stats (unless im remembering wrong). maybe even the mara grind for the epic too?

also grinding out the ilevel 44 wod rare drops before the nerf was a nightmare, especially since it was obvious they were always going to get a nerf

Last edited:
dont think its the hardest but my personal hardest was my foamspittle, I got super unlucky qwq
holy crap man i miss that period of twinking. we have it way better now but farming those rares in alterac and spending hours upon hours on crabs in westfall was kind of okay

Reactions: Fxv
Farming any BOE loot from Blackfathom Deeps as F2P in a random group. Very low drop chances and levellers which roll NEED on something they'll use a few levels.

https://classic.wowhead.com/item=1491/ring-of-precision
Got this 2 times on my resto druid. I cried all night. (2012's)

//Farming double Shadowfangs as F2P rogue in a random group. A few rogues managed to do this without any help.

Imo its Ghost Iron Dragonling if youre purely f2p. Shit took me 2 months and I just couldnt handle killing 10+ lvled mobs.
Just crafting the trinket itself takes time, then comes the god damn cogs that are needed to actually make the trink useful.
And maybe grinding ShadowFang dagger and NightReaver axe.

Last edited:
Honor Levels
Seeker of Knowledge
Fisherfriend of the Isles (if you have no group)
BFA reps on a f2p acc

I realize now that these are not really twink farms, but f2p collection farms

Last edited:
My personal hell was farming Legion invasions for full Titanforged gear, it was a time limited event, and at some point they hotfixed it so you couldn't afk through it to get rewards. I also did some RoP farming back in the day, but I got extremely lucky and got it on like the 10th run as a hunter. Not so much of a grind, but I had a hell of a time getting Trigore a few years back. I skipped most other PVE grinds like Foamspittle and Rep grinds

Imo its Ghost Iron Dragonling if youre purely f2p. Shit took me 2 months and I just couldnt handle killing 10+ lvled mobs.
Just crafting the trinket itself takes time, then comes the god damn cogs that are needed to actually make the trink useful.
And maybe grinding ShadowFang dagger and NightReaver axe.

yeah I did this grind out on a f2p resto druid and I will never do that again. I barely even use the trinket as is >.> what a massive time sink. I also think f2p wotlk jewel crafting is another pretty long and tedious grind.

A lot of really great (terrible) grinds covered here in this thread. I had a laundry list, and y'all already got a number of them. To WoW's credit (discredit?), I can't think of a single vanilla instance that didn't have some terrible grind involved for some bracket, at some point. To add to the list of pain in this thread:
  • Sunken Temple gear for 49s in TBC and Wrath.
  • Relic Coffer jewelry (paging @Solanar !) from BRD.
  • Ooch 's mind-shattering 1181-run pursuit of Random Satchel stam shoulders for his 39 pally.
  • @Chops mentioned it already but it's worth a repeat: $@#% Revelosh.
  • Fishing Hats before the drop rate got buffed in Wrath. It took some players over two years of weekly fishing to get their hats.
  • Zul'Gurub exalted rep for head and shoulder enchants for 59s. Not to mention running Zul'Gurub to get the raid gear. If the icons for Relics of the Past give you convulsions, you're an OG 59'er.
  • The Vashj'ir belt quest line for 80s, for which @youbeezy has never forgiven me (can't blame him). It's worse than even the Thousand Needles and Eastern Plaguelands questlines for Cata 39s. These questlines are all less than 20 hours, but there's something about those 20 hours that just murder your head.
  • Mythic Warforged Tusks of Mannoroth for plate 39s in Shadowlands. We're months in to gearing, and only a few 39s have even seen the non-warforged version drop.
  • Shadowlands rep gear for 49s: doing dailies for 4 months straight. Don't forget Revendreth treasure chest hunting!
But none of that, absolutely none of that combined compares to what it must be like to gear up a true F2P in Shadowlands. You pure F2Ps are absolutely in a different world.

BFA era world rare epic farming.

silvermoon chest
Feathered cape
Boarhide legs

edit

also BFA era ilv28 farming

magefist gloves *shudder*

Anyone who managed to fully twink a pure f2p character, Blizzard should hire them for the next expansion development lmao

Users who are viewing this thread