Weapon Effects and Theorycrafting

xanx

Veteran
This expansion has obviously opened up a plethora of content which was unavailable prior to SL. This means items that were praised in other brackets such as 49/59 BFA as well as items from other expansion are now available which puts twinking in a much more interesting place.

What items or combinations of items have you been experimenting with or have been looking forward to testing? Possibly, destiny on an arms warrior, or the jackhammer scaled to level 20? How are proc rates? Let's discuss! :)

This is also a good place to discuss things like 1h vs 2h for feral, hpal, or set bonuses even. Just curious what everyone has been playing with as I can't test everything on my own (yet).

Let's keep this civil and idc about arifacts; they're boring.

Last edited:
I wanted to try out a moks mh basgudder/rivenspike offhand enhancement shaman setup but alas they are both lvl 23 req.

Artys may be boring but some of them allow the "Effect" to still work while used as Transmog. I'm working on testing TBC Dungeon 4-set (primarily Doomplate) as well as any and all World drops with procs to them. Having those scale to Level is yummy. I'm also working on determining if Meta + 1-2 Sockets is superior to 3x Sockets (at Levels that don't have access to the +7 Gems) or the other way around. Another thing is actually determining if it's Main Stat > all (certain Specs, PvE) or if 2/2 is superior.

Lots to have fun with now.

Artys may be boring but some of them allow the "Effect" to still work while used as Transmog. I'm working on testing TBC Dungeon 4-set (primarily Doomplate) as well as any and all World drops with procs to them. Having those scale to Level is yummy. I'm also working on determining if Meta + 1-2 Sockets is superior to 3x Sockets (at Levels that don't have access to the +7 Gems) or the other way around. Another thing is actually determining if it's Main Stat > all (certain Specs, PvE) or if 2/2 is superior.

Lots to have fun with now.

I've tested several specs I enjoy to no avail, which artifact tmogs have you used? I'm also testing world drops and so far am happy with destiny.

I wanted to try out a moks mh basgudder/rivenspike offhand enhancement shaman setup but alas they are both lvl 23 req.

Epic Mok has higher damage range than ilvl 34 artifact and allows a proc offhand as you suggest. I'm using Blackout Truncheon atm as it has 3 sockets and haste is sexy on enh. Please lmk how those compare :)

@xanx I tried several Titanstrike and didn't see any added effects but Thas'dorah used as XMog gives you the Speed buff. Been playing my 15 Fury a bunch (it's literally my highest Level Warrior on any of my 4 Accounts because I hate Melee) so just getting into Artys with it and uncertain if any have hidden benefit while mog'd.

determining if Meta + 1-2 Sockets is superior

Which metas are you considering "good" for us? I tried the melee/ranged attack speed and it was underwhelming.
(on a 10, but i dont see it being better at 20-9)

Gonna try out the brutal one next, but I'm knee deep in farming up gear at the moment so it'll be a bit.

Completely irrelevant to this bracket but I noticed the crafted legendary plate belt from legion still gives the speed/healing.
(at least one of mine did, not gonna say go craft one and have you get screwed if it was a weird gf'd thing)

Princess scepters are still quite good!

*ducks*
@xanx I tried several Titanstrike and didn't see any added effects but Thas'dorah used as XMog gives you the Speed buff. Been playing my 15 Fury a bunch (it's literally my highest Level Warrior on any of my 4 Accounts because I hate Melee) so just getting into Artys with it and uncertain if any have hidden benefit while mog'd.

Thas'Dorah is the only one I've noticed as well but I believe someone mentioned the ww monk arty was working as well. I just don't even have a monk on my account :p

@Warglave The +attack/casting speed Metas seem to work fine for me at 10, 15 and my 49 Ele. I'm uncertain if the 2% Magic dmg reduction Meta is working on my 10 Protadin as she's nearly unkillable as it is. I'm also going to try the +Armor % Meta at some point to see if it makes any real difference.

Last edited:
I think I got haste, maybe I saw the wrong thing tho. Put me at %50 i think? Still took forever to proc and felt meh.

I can check again in a little bit, it's on a level 10 so it wasnt really important at the time.

edit- yeah, mine was haste and gave 120 at level 10. Took 5+ trash mobs PACKS to proc at all and I did it twice to verify.

Last edited:
no, I wasn’t implying I’d give up anything in any scenario with any setup. All I said was that the bc and wrath haste metas are identical
Sry didn't mean to quote you specifically just commenting in general on that meta :) Making sure I didn't miss anything.

https://www.wowhead.com/item=28225/doomplate-warhelm?bonus=6710
https://www.wowhead.com/item=27408/hope-bearer-helm?bonus=6710

So you give up 12 crit and a socket for a 6 sec speed buff. Is anyone finding it's worth it? It's not haste, so it doesn't lower any ability cooldowns. You get probably 1 extra swing I would think.
the only reason to run doomplate over hope bearers is with the 12 crit meta and shoulders for the 2 piece bonus. Youre basically trading 2 sockets for 10 crit.

Which, now that i say that out loud, makes me wonder why im running that set...

My lil pally has 7 haste before the proc, 127 during:

6iCsVy6.png

edit- and i still think it's crap.

also, it was 5+ trash PACKS to get a single proc, not mobs... fixed my other post.

Last edited:
the only reason to run doomplate over hope bearers is with the 12 crit meta and shoulders for the 2 piece bonus. Youre basically trading 2 sockets for 10 crit.

Which, now that i say that out loud, makes me wonder why im running that set...
So basically you trade 5% stun reduction for 2 sockets, is what I see. Minus 1 stat either way. Plus you get to keep your sanity by avoiding that Doomplate grind lol

Hope Bearer Helm
3 sockets
12 crit
1 ver

Truth Bearer Shoulderguards
2 sockets
7 crit

Doomplate Warhelm
1 socket
13 crit
5% stun

Doomplate Shoulderguards
2 sockets
6 crit
1 parry

That's understandable, but i mean it's packs... that's a lot of opportunity to proc. In a different scenario it'd be meh.

It took like 4-5 mins to get the first proc, so it's not like i was waiting on an ICD. It's strong in some situations, but getting 4 procs per BG just isnt gonna be for me. For my lil pally it's fine cuz hes not relying on it for anything anyway.

Plus you get to keep your sanity by avoiding that Doomplate grind lol

Just to interject... I've run crypts a LOT in the last week, and i saw hope bearer once. It's an easier grind, but still grind.

Last edited:
So basically you trade 5% stun reduction for 2 sockets, is what I see. Minus 1 stat either way. Plus you get to keep your sanity by avoiding that Doomplate grind lol
and don’t forget the 2 piece set bonus.

not entirely convinced the stun resist actually works, either. Andre and i tested it for like half an hour and i didn’t resista single stun. That meta is literally just there for the crit

Users who are viewing this thread