PTR [WARNING] Be careful of void storage

Tom Ganks

-for those who don't know, players attempted putting titanforged gear in void storage just before BFA, and noticed on the PTR that the item level was significantly higher for gear in void storage than in bags/equipped, reducing the impact of the stat squish. This was patched by blizzard before it went live.

As of yet, I am unsure of the benefits of putting gear in void storage in wait for Shadowlands, but I have noticed one major risk.

If you place certain timewalking drops for a higher level player in voidstorage, they will revert to their base item level. For instance, I had timewalking gear that was about ilvl 60 for my 49 twink (previously 119). I put some of them in voidstorage and on the PTR then came out reverted to their lowest scaling, which is around ilvl 35, making it weaker.

I'm unsure yet if this can be used as a benefit for low level twinks (10 for instance) who have the timewalking vendor gear from anniversary, as it may scale up? But be cautious.

I can confirm that my timewarped anniversary gear from Korraks, when in void storage, requires level 30 and is ilvl 36.

upload_2020-8-30_18-12-10.png

I had pieces that were NOT in void storage and those remained usable @ lv 10 with ilvl of 13:

upload_2020-8-30_18-14-2.png

EDIT: Removing the items from void storage that got bumped up to lv 30 did NOT revert the scaling.

All I’m filling up is my bags/ bank with buffs, buffs, more buffs and a pile of drums. Hopefully it will all be usable.

Off topic a tad bit but I’ve been trying to look for it but can’t find the answer.

Am I correct in thinking I can pick which expansion I want to play? For me it would be bc.if so does that also mean someone from a higher expansion can just come one-shot me or must it scale too?

So far picking your expansion via chrome has unlocked the dungeons available for that expac, as well as provides the intro quest into that zone.

I’ve also noticed that outside of SW, you also phase out of the “present” timeline, where most lv 50s are. Ex on PTR goldshire when phased to MOP time there’s nobody there, whereas if I ask chromie to go back to the present, goldshire becomes populated again.

for me as well, frequently changing expansions with chromie has bugged her out and now I can’t change expacs again. I think it’s due to having quests in flight for various expacs and then switching.

That's 100% a bug. The items should obviously not scale in Void Storage. Best to make a bug report.

As of items scaling to a stronger version in void storage; that was a VISUAL ONLY bug in the past. Usually happened to gear that had a "parent" in the item array that was by default higher item level than the scaled version in your void storage.

For instance, the parent in the item array for BG drops is for level 45 when your character is level 19 (or something like that, can't remember exactly, been a while) by default, which in the past caused you to see the stats of the item to be visually scaled to that level. The parent elements changes within each nth level range. However, upon withdrawing the item, you'd get the item you originally stored.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread