Warcraft III: Reforged

Will you be playing Warcraft III: Reforged?

• Yes

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Schalood

Psychedelic Gladiator
Which game modes are you going to play?
Online, offline, tournaments, customs? etc...
whatweknow.png

I would like to add that Warcraft 3 Reforged: Spoils of War might be the best value for some cross-game vanity items. Previously every Digital Deluxe Expansion for WoW cost an additional $20, and came with a pack of goodies (usually cardbacks for Hearthstone, a vanity pet in WoW, and a few others; but only MoP, WoD, Legion, and BfA included mounts). Individual mounts at the Blizzard Store cost $25.

In comes the $10 Warcraft 3: Reforged Digital Deluxe Upgrade with a WoW mount, a Hearthstone Cardback, and free HotS Heroes (along with some unannounced Starcraft & Starcraft 2 benefits). Seems to be the best value for those extra Blizzard vanity goodies. I, myself didn't get the Spoils of War Upgrade on my main account (elected for the $30 Standard version), but I might consider picking up a 2nd copy of the game on my Starter Edition Account if the mount gets added straight to the collection.

Edit: Just read a Blizzard Developer quote somewhere that the mount comes in the mailbox, it is not auto-added. So, R.I.P. my Starter Edition Mount Collection. However the $10 Upgrade for Warcraft 3: Reforged is available on my main account still, which is good.

Last edited:
A little over three months away from the release date. If there's anything that's going to squash my WoW Classic playing time, it's this! Can't wait to get my but kicked by pros.

A little over three months away from the release date. If there's anything that's going to squash my WoW Classic playing time, it's this!
I was super-stoked just by the idea of replaying "The Culling of Stratholme" with modern graphics... but after seeing the new models, I'm not so sure. There's something vaguely "off" about the art-style that they went with:

Jaina.jpg

Long, long ago, Warcraft 3 (and its frozen throne expansion) was my first warcraft game. If I hadn't played that, I would've had no clue about WoW's existence outside of random ads here and there.

Long ago when I used to play WC3:TFT, I very rarely if ever played melee matches (though I remembered a few fun multiplayer melee matches), and mostly played multiple different custom maps/games, many of which I found fun (and several still fun, after re-checking 2 or 3 different games).

While the campaign and its melee games are (or were) good, for me one of WC3's big highlights was the vast (and I mean vast) amount of custom maps/games, as (at least for back then) many interesting games (or I thought were interesting) were made and played there, like DotA was a MOBA game within WC3 that predated many current MOBA games like LoL (in fact its map layout is "almost" an exact copy of DotA's map layout), DotA2, HotS, and much more.

Other custom games that I remembered having fun with long, long ago (recalling from memory), or at least fun for a few games, included (in spoiler):
-Battleships Crossfire (amongst other battleship games)
-Werewolf Transylvania
-SWAT Aftermath
-Island Defense
-Custom Hero Arena (one among many Hero Arena games out there)
-Orc Gladiator
-Island Defense
-Archer Wars
-A few of the different tower defense games
-Worm War
-Team Fortress Alpha (or something with a similar name)
-Troll Island
-A few different RPGs until I found WoW and other RPGs/MMORPGs

-And much more.
I'll likely not get the reforged (or wait until it's live, and wait and see), as I already have WC3, and reforged may "basically" be just updated-graphics/campaign-moments-and-cinemas/etc. (like starcraft remastered for starcraft).

I'll be curious though if WC3:TFT (including the vast amount of custom games there) will be F2P (instead of B2P) once Reforged comes, much like the case with starcraft when a remastered version came.

Re-checking WC3:TFT's custom games: It's about time blizz updated, cleaned up and improved the custom game lobby. For a long time (decade or more), hostbots (and their custom lobbies) were essential to find (or host) multiplayer custom games.
If anyone was curious about that, this article gives a decent summary of the history and relevance of hostbots (until patch 1.302 or so some time ago).

Last edited:
they said the games are supposed to be crossplay as reforged is apparently just updated wc3 code

so i doubt they will change how custom games work,they know alot of people will be coming back for those
but , since its blizz i guess i shouldnt say "hop" until i do the jump

also, cant believe you didnt include footmen frenzy in the list you heretic

also, cant believe you didnt include footmen frenzy in the list you heretic
I wish I tried that, though I'll definitely try it one day given your... recommendation. :p

My list was also incomplete, as there was a huge amount of custom games out there and played (and more so back then, imho, as someone who used to play them before WoW).

I'm curious: for those of you (including you @Nurd ) that used to play custom games in WC3 (or at least long ago), what were some of the custom games that you remembered playing or having fun with? I can't be the only one that had a list (even if incomplete).

what were some of the custom games that you remembered playing or having fun with? I can't be the only one that had a list (even if incomplete).

Dont remember that many , but from top of my head.

Once again, footmen frenzy, dota, endless variations of TD.
One that sticks out alot was a "racing" mod, Azeroth Grand Prix

But most of the time me and my old classmates just used to play 2v2s or ffas on lan

Yeah. I've stayed away from classic Warcraft 3 & The Frozen Throne ever since there was even wind of a remaster. So jumping back into it was fun, especially since Versus is the only option available. It felt fresh, and the new graphics make an old classic shine.

Speaking of graphics; it is advised you turn all the special effects down to a minimum, as it's still buggy. A lot of people in chat have conflicting claims on which exact graphics setting it is, so I just turned them all down. I haven't disconnected once, yet there are a lot of reported dropped games. I imagine most players don't fiddle with settings, and just jump right on that Join button.

Check it out though. You never know, it may capture your interest. It's only about a 13GB download.

Users who are viewing this thread