Want to build an AH tracker for BoE socket gear?

Interested in collaborating on a fun (?) project, to set up an auction house monitor for BoEs with sockets and tertiary stats? I figure the project needs three parts:

1) A host site for the database and other code
2) Information on how to filter for sockets, tertiaries, and ilvl
3) A legible front end, to make reading the results easy

I spent all of last Saturday figuring out most of part 2. If a couple of people want to tackle 1 and 3, we can get this project off the ground and make gearing up a little better for everyone!

---------------------------------

(technical details of part 2 follow)

Holy smokes, were those filters a pain in the ass to figure out. So here's an info dump on how that works.

Blizzard's API updates active auction house data once an hour (at different times of the hour for different realms). When we pull the data, we get a whole mess of info about the items, formatted into different fields. One of those fields is the bonus_list field.

The bonus_list field can contain anywhere from two to five (maybe more?) numbers (older gear often doesn't even have the bonus_list field), and thanks to a winding road that led me to https://www.raidbots.com/static/data/live/bonuses.json, I dug up the numbers we need. Note that some of the numbers in that link are deprecated, thanks to deprecated stats from previous expansions, so I didn't include them below.

41 is leech
42 is speed

715 through 719
721 through 752
...all of these numbers indicate a socket.

It's possible we would only need to use the four digit numbers for filtering gear with a socket (those numbers were the only ones I saw when looking through live auction house data), but I haven't been able to rule out the 3-digit numbers yet.

Most normal BoE gear has two items in the bonus_list. The first item shows the ilvl range, and the second item defines the combination of secondary stats.

For example, I found a 39 wearing an Ashvane Company Cloak of the Harmonious (gear info for individual characters is available within the Blizzard API) at ilvl 48. The bonus_list contained two items: 6654 and 1713. 6654 is the ilvl range, and 1713 is one of the several "of the Harmonious" combinations of mastery and versatility. Somehow the combination of those two numbers, plus something else I haven't figured out yet, yields the actual stats for that cloak.

My 29 has the same named cloak, but with leech and a socket. The bonus_list contains four items: 6654 4802 41 1716. 6654 shows the same ilvl range as the 39's cloak, 4802 is the socket, 41 is leech, and 1716 denotes a slightly different proportion of mastery and versatility than the 39's cloak.

I don't know how the Undermine Journal figures out item level (and it doesn't work for some raid BoE drops), and WoWhead clearly struggles with item level as well (but the URLs they generated helped me figure out what the bonus_list items were doing).

While I don't yet have an ID list of realms for auction houses and connected realms for merged auction houses, I'm willing to grind that info out of the API when someone is ready to pull data.

Absolutely, we can do that (and have been). But multiply that by multiple categories, and then...

The thing that really bugs me about undermine is not being able to search across all servers for an item, unless I'm just missing that...

...multiple servers, and it gets very cumbersome, very quickly. Plus, it only works for socketed items that have minor stats. While socket gear with tert stats are best, plenty of twinks would settle for just being able to get socket gear, and undermine doesn't provide a way to search for socket gear.

I figure we take the same AH data stream everyone (including Undermine) uses, filter it for sockets and terts, and find a way to post that. It will save a lot of labor for a lot of twinks.

@Kirise did you ever see @Htag 's Gear Finder in BFA? it was a website to find ilvl 28 items, and some others.. its doable for sure, but when you get to the multiple layers of bonus ID and scaling it will be alot to set up

maybe you can take a look at this. a free to use high level boe finder for end game. https://www.wowpay2win.com/#/?tier=t27
the github link is in the bottom left corner. you can take the work and maybe see if you can make it work for your items.

there are also some scripts you can run in Python that you can run to get callbacks on boes if you dont have a website gui set up to handle this, and cant reverse engi his site.

Sorry for the late reply to this thread but did you get any further with this project?

I've been thinking of building something similar myself... but the Blizzard auction API is very limited in what it gives out about the items.

I can see how to determine whether the item has a socket, tertiary stats etc. from the bonus_lists array but what I can't determine is the item level, e.g. is it ilvl 28 BoE, req level 19 etc.

There's a modifiers array also returned with some items which may help but what on earth do these values mean, I can't find any documentation about this.

I can see how to determine whether the item has a socket, tertiary stats etc. from the bonus_lists array but what I can't determine is the item level, e.g. is it ilvl 28 BoE, req level 19 etc.

That's a great question and I don't have an answer, but I do know that Undermine Journal figured part of it out. When I search for items with minor stats, they list the item level next to each result for the green BoEs and that has always been accurate for me.

Edit: @Shocking I forgot to add that I haven't pushed this project forward, but if I can be of help, let me know!

Last edited:
So after a bit of investigative work on this I think I might have worked out how to determine the stats and levels...

Below is an example response of an item from the auction API.

r8oVPE1.png

I spent some time this weekend working on this and its actually not all that complex, there's just A LOT of auction data to process.

I started tracking auctions hourly for a couple of EU + RU realms recording in my own database any items of interest following the rules posted in the previous reply.

This gave me a chuck of auction data to work with so I've put together a basic JS front-end to allow filtering through these auctions and it currently looks like the below... still a WIP.

upload_2021-5-24_13-3-48.png

I spent some time this weekend working on this and its actually not all that complex, there's just A LOT of auction data to process.

I started tracking auctions hourly for a couple of EU + RU realms recording in my own database any items of interest following the rules posted in the previous reply.

This gave me a chuck of auction data to work with so I've put together a basic JS front-end to allow filtering through these auctions and it currently looks like the below... still a WIP.

View attachment 19278
post sauce, would like to take a quick glance.

I've deployed a preview version of this if anyone wants to try it out and give me some feedback! No download, it's web based:

https://boe-tracker.vercel.app/find

It's freshly deployed so I'm fully expecting you to find some bugs :)

Anything you would like to see added or improved let me know. If there is interest, I will add more realms and support for US servers.

Also you should know that the auction data is cached and not live (as of ~15 mins ago) and there is only limited realms available as this is just a preview :)

I've deployed a preview version of this if anyone wants to try it out and give me some feedback! No download, it's web based:

Anything you would like to see added or improved let me know. If there is interest, I will add more realms and support for US servers.

Also you should know that the auction data is cached and not live (as of ~15 mins ago) and there is only limited realms available as this is just a preview :)
you're a legend

I *love* the toggle interface choice you made for the left side! That makes it very easy to sort by stats and servers on the fly.

Absolutely, I would love to see support for US servers! I expect such an addition will incur a huge amount of traffic, so if that would pose an issue, let the XP-off community know how we can help.

For future expansion, I'd love to see the 39 bracket added as an option, too (ilvl 48).

Edit: admins, can we get this fine coder a tester badge?

Users who are viewing this thread