Veteran hunter need help gearing

Mermaid

Veteran
Hello everyone, I am an old player returning to the game after long break. Unfortunately, I have forgotten my old account's details, so I had to make new one. My current goal is to make a decent veteran twink, and so far I'm finding survival hunters to be lots of fun, so gearing up one is what I am working on currently.

Starting from scratch, I bought the game around 2 weeks ago, and seeing as I have 2 more weeks left of my current subscription, I would like to get my hunter decently geared until then if possible. However, I'm not quite sure what items I should aim for at this point. I made a decent amount of gold on my high level character, so buying enchants won't be a problem, I'm just at a loss for gearing up, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

For some more specific inquiries:
- is that Prairie Ring I'm wearing decent?
- suggestions for gear improvements
- an explanation as to why some survival hunters I've been checking out on the forums have ranged weapons, whereas others are dual wielding melee weapons, and if polearms/staves are even viable

My armory is: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/auchindoun/tatenceto

For some more specific inquiries:
- is that Prairie Ring I'm wearing decent?
- suggestions for gear improvements
- an explanation as to why some survival hunters I've been checking out on the forums have ranged weapons, whereas others are dual wielding melee weapons, and if polearms/staves are even viable
Hi there.
The Prairie Ring is equivalent to a Blue bg ring, so yes it's decent.
Surv don't use ranged weapons. Sometimes Armory doesn't update in real time, so you may switch to Surv in game, but later your toon on Armory still shows the ranged weapon.
I'd say keep using a Polearm. You can't use Raptor Strike otherwise.

A few other pointers :-
Chant up a few bows (heirloom) with Gnomish X-Ray or Flintlocke's if you have a high enough Hunter.
Get the Mechanical Matrix book if you want to tame Mech's (depending on what race u are)
Make sure you enchant all your items while you have an active sub. Later you will be extremely limited with enchants
Some Surv Hunters dual wield for double Ele Force. I'm not convinced that's a good outcome when you lose Raptor Strike

I think you are on your way to a decent Hunter. You seem to have some good chants. Just missing a few part. Aim for Ag / Stam / Attack Power.

Good luck.

I haven't played my hunter since the bfa surv revamp. I see survs duel wielding agi swords often. Why is that? Do they just use weapon swaps for harder hits on ranged attacks then swap when up close or is raptor strike just not worth it to use?

I haven't played my hunter since the bfa surv revamp. I see survs duel wielding agi swords often. Why is that? Do they just use weapon swaps for harder hits on ranged attacks then swap when up close or is raptor strike just not worth it to use?

Pretty sure they do it for the Elemental Force procs.

Hi there.
The Prairie Ring is equivalent to a Blue bg ring, so yes it's decent.
Surv don't use ranged weapons. Sometimes Armory doesn't update in real time, so you may switch to Surv in game, but later your toon on Armory still shows the ranged weapon.

So, what's a decent polearm that I can get that would be better than the heirloom one? Also would my Draenor garrison be worth developing for Admiral Taylor's Loyalty Ring and Touch of the Void?

So, what's a decent polearm that I can get that would be better than the heirloom one? Also would my Draenor garrison be worth developing for Admiral Taylor's Loyalty Ring and Touch of the Void?

You can also use Staves & Two-Handed Axes & Swords. You can get a staff from the Battlegrounds Reward Crates (Which will actually be better in Damage and Stats.)

So Bailey has been doing the dual wield hunter at 19s in premades and its a pretty cool concept (but ultimately its just weapon switching). I've only briefly looked into it, so I may not have all the right details, but heres what I found.

Raptor Strike and Harpoon require a 2h. So while in melee, you're a typical 2h in your face hunter. Great for soloing or punishing out of position folks in mid or otherwise providing the frontline if you have some heals.

When you're in mid fights however, being melee can be rough. So you back out, swap to dual shadowfangs (or bronze shortsword or the 5agi/2crit BoE from deadmines or w/e) and go to town with kill command and serpent sting (talent). Neither of these use weapon damage, so you don't take any loss from using 1hers. But now you've got twice the elemental force, 12 agility, and shadowfang procs (no clue if they proc at range tho - I don't have shadowfangs lying around for my huntard). Serpent sting and kill command do work with tons of elemental force procs. EFC tries to get by or a healer is out of position? Switch back to the 2h and harpoon back in.

Little bit more advanced and probably mostly relevant for premades/wargames, but cool concept. Grab some bronze shortwords for cheap to try it out.

BG crate (a staff IIRC) is probably BiS. Impaling Harpoon with verse/crit from deadmines is solid. Not sure what other options there are at 20. Theres a TON of stuff to get to the point where you can get the shipyard rings. I don't know how much they've shortened it, but I'd guess a ton of effort including some rep grinds. You're probably better off getting a green ring in addition to the BG crate/dungeon satchel ring. Touch of the void I'm not sure how much effort it'll take to unlock. They should be pretty cheap since they are so common. Perhaps ask some guildies who played to go check their garrison and see if they have the quest up.

Users who are viewing this thread