Veteran [Veteran] Discipline Priest Guide

Squidgy

Legend
Ag7ogHt.png

[Updated for Patch 6.2.3]

Note: This guide is meant to help you make informed decisions rather than blindly gear and play in a specific way “because this guide said so”. You will have to make choices that suit your situation, playstyle and preferences.

Contents
  1. Races
  2. Talents
  3. Abilities
  4. Stats & Gear
  5. Enchants
  6. Addons
  7. Macros & Tips
  8. Items & Consumables

1. Races
Opcvbow.png
Alliance
My personal pick: Human/Night Elf

fAcxveK.png
Horde
My personal pick: Tauren/Troll
Ultimately you should always choose a race that you enjoy playing.
Make sure you are comfortable with the movement and casting animations unless you want to be addicted to transformation toys and consumables.

2. Talents
Spectral Guise > Angelic Bulwark > Desperate Prayer

Spectral Guise is great for getting out of sticky situations and avoiding incoming CC, and it only has a 30 second cooldown, so you can use it quite often in battlegrounds. The only downside is that it can not be used while you are under the effect of Faerie Fire. The other two talent choices are not nearly as useful in my opinion, but there is no harm in trying all three to see which one you like the most.

PQMEhHA.gif

• Night Elves can use Spectral Guise > Move away > Shadowmeld in order to "vanish" in a fight. Use a speed boost if you want to increase the distance traveled while stealthed.
  • If you use Spectral Guise in PvE and cancel the aura before the duration runs out, you will drop out of combat and mobs will evade. (See macro further down)
  • Spectral Guise can be used while riding a Goblin Glider for stealthy air attacks.
These are just a few of the awesome things you can use this talent for!

3. Abilities
  • Smite – Your basic spammable damage dealer.
  • Shadow Word: Pain – Cover the enemy team with this DoT when you are not busy healing. It works great with Elemental Force, and the 18 second duration is fantastic for keeping rogues and druids out of stealth.
  • Power Word: Shield – Using this does not only saves lives; it also gives you a short haste buff. Keep in mind that it can be removed by Purge and Dispel Magic.
  • Flash Heal – Your spammable heal. Keep it on a comfortable keybind.
  • Penance – Channeled heal or damage dealer, quite strong either way.
  • Holy Fire – Instant damage dealer + DoT.
  • Resurrection – Lets you bring an ally back to life. It comes in handy in PvP every now and then, do not forget that you have it.
  • Holy Nova – This is incredible for getting people out of stealth. Spam it when you suspect that someone is sneaking up on you!

4. Stats & Gear
The stats you mainly want to look for are Intellect, Stamina and Haste. Versatility is good for arenas but should generally not be used over haste in battlegrounds. Critical Strike is not great for Discipline, and you will only need Spirit in long-lasting group fights (consider making a set for Alterac Valley).

1 Intellect1 Spell Power1 Spell Power1 Stamina19 Health24 Health1 Critical Strike0.31%0.18%1 Haste0.385%0.22%1 Spirit2.25 Mana Regen2.5 Mana Regen1 Versatility~0.262%0.1496%
[TH]Stat[/TH][TH]Without scaling (20)[/TH][TH]With scaling (29)[/TH] [TR] [TR] [TR] [TR] [TR] [/TR][/TR][/TR][/TR][/TR]

Below is a list of viable options for each slot (in no particular order). If you want to see what setups people typically use, check out the Veteran Armory List. The numbers in parentheses represent the stat scaling in arenas and battlegrounds.

Head

Neck

Shoulders

Back

Chest

Wrist

Hands

Waist

Legs

Feet

Finger

Trinket

Main Hand

Off Hand

* BoE gloves allow for Glove Reinforcements (+12 Stamina).

5. Enchants
The numbers in parentheses represent the stat scaling in arenas and battlegrounds.

Neck

Shoulders

Cloak

Chest

Bracer

Gloves

Legs

Boots

Ring

Main Hand

Off Hand

* Only works on heirlooms.
** Only works on BoE gloves.
*** Minor Speed is the only movement speed enchant that stacks with the cloak gift.

6. Addons
All addons are of course optional, but here are a couple I find very useful.

7. Macros
  • Set focus macro – Put your current mousover or target on focus, or removes your current focus if none of them exist.
    /focus [target=mouseover,exists]; target
  • Modifier spell macro – If no modifier is pressed it will cast your spell like normal. You can change the modifier to shift or alt, and the target to focus or a character name.
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift,@mouseover] [] SPELL
  • Panic button – This will use your equipped neck and second trinket. If you have a Healthstone it will use that instead of the neck. Great when you are silenced etc.
    #showtooltip
    /use 14
    /use Healthstone
    /use 2
  • Leave combat-button for PvE – Press it twice to instantly leave combat and make mobs evade.
    #showtooltip
    /cancelaura Spectral Guise
    /cast Spectral Guise

Last edited:
8. Items & Consumables

9. Tips & Useful Links
  • Make sure to keybind bandages. It might seem unnecessary on a priest, but if you end up geting silenced, quickly bandaging someone can save their life (and you'll feel like a boss too).
  • Have more than one weapon enchant and switch between them depending on the fight. If the situation allows you to play offensively, use Elemental Force. If there's a lot of healing to do, maybe Spellpower is a better choice. Mana getting low? Switch to Heartsong. You get the gist.
Once you feel comfortable with the basics of your priest you should look into some of these guides to improve your gameplay:

Last edited:
Very very nice I have been planning to do a similar one for a difference class.
Let the masses choose their own BiS gear and enchants.
KISS method. Keep It Simple & Sweet!

Have a nice day!

/cheers
Sweetsidney

Could add that things like Glove Reinforcement only works on BoE since guides are mainly for new players.

And for the panic macro I'm pretty sure pots and neck share cd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could add that things like Glove Reinforcement only works on BoE since guides are mainly for new players.

And for the panic macro I'm pretty sure pots and neck share cd.

Yeah good call, I'll add that somewhere. You're absolutely right about the neck, I'll get that fixed too.

Lavish ring not good for priest?

If you're playing alliance and don't want to pay for a faction change I suppose you could justify using it, I'll add it to the list!

Thank you both for the suggestions. :)

Updated for 6.2. I didn't add the new heirloom ring because as far as I know there's no proof of it being available in-game yet.

Edit: Added the ring.

Nice guide. For consumables you can add the feast what is made from fish at dark moon fair fishing . I will look up name when I get home. It gives 20 versitality ( can't make it as level 20 veteran but can be used if you stack up before sub run out ) figured I mention it since you got the Intel flash there what 20s can't make too.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=185705/fancy-darkmoon-feast

Found the link for the feast

And, nice addon what I use is TellMeWhen. Light weight and highly customazeble . Check it out

I wouldn't recommend it. The proc is too unreliable, and we can get enough haste from other sources. I think Spellpower is a better choice when you want to put out a lot of healing, because it isn't based on luck, and it'll benefit your shields aswell. If you have a different opinion I'd love to hear it. :)

Nice guide. For consumables you can add the feast what is made from fish at dark moon fair fishing .

Added!

Users who are viewing this thread