EU+US Updated gear guide?

Schloop

Veteran
I just started out twinking à la F2P-style and all the guides out there are showing wrong ilvls on items and gear no longer avalible. I'm playing hunter and priest. Do you know where I should look?

Bless.

Instanced pvp is all about item level now. Blue quest reward items and boss drops will be item level 26. Reward crates from winning battlegrounds can drop ilvl 28 gear. Wands are better for clothies. You can get ilvl 30 head and shoulder slot in Stonetalon Mountains for horde chars. You won't need a guide, wowhead filters are more than enough.

Good Luck, Have Fun!

Weapons:
http://www.wowhead.com/weapons/min-req-level:1/max-req-level:20/quality:3
Armor:
http://www.wowhead.com/armor/min-req-level:1/max-req-level:20/quality:3

//There're few gray items that have high item level for ring and neck slots. You can check them too.

If you’re F2P, I don’t think you can get the ilvl 80 neck or ilvl 60 rings. So, just do dungeons for highest ilvl pieces for each slot with mail on it. If you want bis, I’d recommend resubbing for a month, then buying problem solving pendant and the rock x2 for your neck and rings respectively. The rest of the gear comes from dungeons and battlegrounds. Just get the highest item level possible WHILE still wearing proper armor type. Yet, item level stacking doesn’t really make too much of a difference, so you don’t need to resub for 3 pieces. Just do dungeons for ilvl 26 slots, and bgs for ilvl 28 pieces on chest, wrist, legs, feet and rings. Try to win stranglethorn fishing event for ilvl 65 trinket, or if you have grandfathered ilvl 60 insignia or AGM, those will work too.

TLDR : Do dungeons/BGs/fishing event for highest ilvl mail gear. Prob have to resub to get available bis, including ilvl 60 rings and ilvl 80 neck.

Last edited:
If you’re F2P, I don’t think you can get the ilvl 80 neck or ilvl 60 rings. So, just do dungeons for highest ilvl pieces for each slot with mail on it. If you want bis, I’d recommend resubbing for a month, then buying problem solving pendant and the rock x2 for your neck and rings respectively. The rest of the gear comes from dungeons and battlegrounds. Just get the highest item level possible WHILE still wearing proper armor type. Yet, item level stacking doesn’t really make too much of a difference, so you don’t need to resin for 3 pieces. Just do dungeons for ilvl 26 slots, and bgs for ilvl 28 pieces on chest, wrist, legs, feet and rings. Try to win stranglethorn fishing event for ilvl 65 trinket, or if you have grandfathered ilvl 60 insignia or AGM, those will work too.

TLDR : Do dungeons/BGs/fishing event for highest ilvl mail gear. Prob have to resub to get available bis, including ilvl 60 rings and ilvl 80 neck.
As I thought then... Oh well, grinding is half the game lol :p.

What does "grandfathered" mean?

If you are resubbing to get the best neck/rings/offhand - then also look at engineering. I'm not sure how it works when you go back to F2P - but there are plenty of good engineering items with 225. Parachute cloak, trinkets, various helms, some boots/belts depending on armor type.

Pure F2P can't get the engineering up high enough for anything major IIRC.

If you are resubbing to get the best neck/rings/offhand - then also look at engineering. I'm not sure how it works when you go back to F2P - but there are plenty of good engineering items with 225. Parachute cloak, trinkets, various helms, some boots/belts depending on armor type.

Pure F2P can't get the engineering up high enough for anything major IIRC.

I'm fairly certain i remember there being a reason that doesnt work. Gonna tag in @icehawk on this though, as i seem to remember him having a bunch of experience with it.

Even if it does, the instant you do anything that would level your engineering, you get bugged down to 75 skill. Professions for vet accounts are a mess.

I'm fairly certain i remember there being a reason that doesnt work. Gonna tag in @icehawk on this though, as i seem to remember him having a bunch of experience with it.

Even if it does, the instant you do anything that would level your engineering, you get bugged down to 75 skill. Professions for vet accounts are a mess.

This. Don't even bother going vet. I'm having to reroll an entirely separate account now because of this; and wish that I had never done it on my druid.

While u have an active sub, u will be able to get Engineering up to 225 and make the higher ilvl items. Once ur sub expires, u can still use those items as if u had 225 Engineering, but u can no longer craft anything over about skill lvl 70 - and that’s for all profs. All ur profs will bug, and even if u have say 150 Cooking, everything over 70 ish will have a lock symbol and u can no longer make it.
It also seems however that the bug that would cause ur skill to drop down to 100 when u levelled is gone. I haven’t tested it with Engineering but Fishing and Cooking is ok now. U could never do any of those dailies or DMF quests before while Vet.
Any new toon I make, I do it on my linked F2P account, as making a new toon on my Vet account means that the profs are already bugged.
It’s the price Vets pay for the extra chants / gear :(

Edit : I should mention the biggest downside of Vet is losing access to some of the potions in Alchemy. U can no longer make the Str pot for example, though at least we can still make the Speed pot ;)

Last edited:
The worst problem i've met with my Veteran Account was the high level enchants which i used on Enchanting Vellums to keep on Veteran Chars. after sub expires. There was no explanation that i'd need subs. to use these vellums. No level distriction was written.

//I was able to use vellums with high lvl enchants when subs. was active on LvL20 chars as i remember.

Vet is losing access to some of the potions in Alchemy
Free Action Pot. /cry

Just use correct item type i.e plate on warrior and right weapon. Ilvl doesnt matter on f2p.

As I thought then... Oh well, grinding is half the game lol :p.

What does "grandfathered" mean?

Grandfathered can mean “no longer obtainable” in several different contexts.

The “Arena Grand Master” trinket is grandfathered for FTPs (and lower levels) because the quest to obtain this item now requires level [35?], where it used to be obtained at any level. This means my 19 rogue with two of these trinkets has them “grandfathered”, as in a new level 19 (or 20) has no way to obtain them, but I can still use them.

Grandfathered sometimes is used to categorize items that have been removed from the game, but are still obtainable through trading with players or the auction house. Many items in Cataclysm became grandfathered when the mobs that dropped them were changed or removed altogether. An example of this is the Defias Mage Staff. This item no longer drops, but can be bought from players that still have it (if anyone wants, im selling one!).

Anything can be grandfathered at any time, so it is important to NEVER DELETE ANYTHING. Duplicate items, junk, old gear. Anything. This is obviously a little over the top, but many of us have regrets about destroying or vendoring (quest items specifically) things we wish we still had.

The worst problem i've met with my Veteran Account was the high level enchants which i used on Enchanting Vellums to keep on Veteran Chars. after sub expires. There was no explanation that i'd need subs. to use these vellums. No level distriction was written.

//I was able to use vellums with high lvl enchants when subs. was active on LvL20 chars as i remember.
The Chants on Vellum caught me out also. I went to a lot of effort to stockpile a heap of chants on my Vets, only to find that when the sub expired I had no way to apply them :(
Blizz probably know most of us twinkers struggle with some form of OCD to have the best and they bug the heck out of Vets to make us want to sub up - lol!

Anything can be grandfathered at any time, so it is important to NEVER DELETE ANYTHING. Duplicate items, junk, old gear. Anything. This is obviously a little over the top, but many of us have regrets about destroying or vendoring (quest items specifically) things we wish we still had.
Curse my OCD for wanting tidy bags and bank! Every time I think about what I’ve vendor sold in the past........o_O This is one of those lessons u end up learning the hard way :eek:

This is one of those lessons u end up learning the hard way
Lost 2 char's 375 grandfathered skill fishing, deleted all ilvl 60 blue insignias. But i still make same mistakes :)
I deleted all ilvl 25 dungeon satchel mail belts on warrior(thought they were useless from now on). I know one day i'll cry for this.

Cant his priest at least theoretically hit an average ilvl of 35?

(but yea dude, your ilvl doesnt matter. Just gear up and have fun)

Depends on if he's alliance or horde and how gfd slots he got, i.e hoggers shiny, argas and faerie mantle. But yes if he is horde 35 might be doable but is it really relevant. The guy just started playing again, to get 35 you need not only double fishing trinket but other stuff like the stonetalon stuff. Can leave that until he's played awhile and gotten used to this shit.

Users who are viewing this thread