TW Gear Help Please

Wintersnight

Veteran
So I am trying to gear up for TW Raid and have a few questions. Can you help me understand how to pick which pieces to get. I have run many raids in the last couple of weeks to prep for TW this week and have a lot of choices on gear/trinkets

What is priority when deciding which pieces to wear? I've never geared for a TW before.

1. Keep Azerites Gear in place
2. All other gear in ranking order
a. Item Effect/Proc with Socketed Mythic > Item Effect/Proc with Socketed Heroic
b. socketed Legendary> Socketed Mythic > Socketed Heroic > Socketed Purple
c. Item Effect/Proc without Sockets
d. Legendary > Mythic > Heroic > general purple

3. Once I get that in place, than enchant appropriately?

Is my equip order accurate? - I understand it may be small differences but I don't want to be the low hps or dps from lack of effort on my part.

Thanks Everyone.

Dragonsoul and Siege of Orgrimmar are ideal raids because both drop ilvl 110+ gear which covers all previous expansion timewalking events. Now with WoD TW coming, we may have to update a few things since the scaling might reach 115 or 125 ilvl. But yeah the more gemslots available the better. The only items that will NOT be replaced are the helm, neck, shoulders and chest. Since azerite pieces are generally BiS due to procs and base stats.

socketed mythic vs heroic or normal shouldn't generally matter unless you see that one has a higher socket bonus or socket-count. All gear will scale the same ilvl, so socket count and socket bonus is what matters.

Legendaries are generally very useful. I'd go as far to say that maybe even the legendary neck from legion (that gives shield for 30 sec) with socket can be better than azerite neck. Especially when u enchant with hidden satyr.

Item effect proc is what trinkets are for. Some items like the ICC rep ring can have a socket AND a proc, as well as WoD-legion trinkets if you get lucky enough for a gem socket upgrade upon drop.

The best enchants are generally around the cata/mop range, as those scale the best. An exception might be the ring enchants from legion.

many BiS gems can be obtained from PvP vendor in stormwind (in old town) for 1 mark of honor each. Gems from BC and Wrath scale the best

Also the old valor vendor (now costs gold) can sell a good amount of 110 epics with gem slots if the raids failed to drop any.

Dragonsoul and Siege of Orgrimmar are ideal raids because both drop ilvl 110+ gear which covers all previous expansion timewalking events. Now with WoD TW coming, we may have to update a few things since the scaling might reach 115 or 125 ilvl. But yeah the more gemslots available the better. The only items that will NOT be replaced are the helm, neck, shoulders and chest. Since azerite pieces are generally BiS due to procs and base stats.

socketed mythic vs heroic or normal shouldn't generally matter unless you see that one has a higher socket bonus or socket-count. All gear will scale the same ilvl, so socket count and socket bonus is what matters.

Legendaries are generally very useful. I'd go as far to say that maybe even the legendary neck from legion (that gives shield for 30 sec) with socket can be better than azerite neck. Especially when u enchant with hidden satyr.

Item effect proc is what trinkets are for. Some items like the ICC rep ring can have a socket AND a proc, as well as WoD-legion trinkets if you get lucky enough for a gem socket upgrade upon drop.

The best enchants are generally around the cata/mop range, as those scale the best. An exception might be the ring enchants from legion.

many BiS gems can be obtained from PvP vendor in stormwind (in old town) for 1 mark of honor each. Gems from BC and Wrath scale the best

Also the old valor vendor (now costs gold) can sell a good amount of 110 epics with gem slots if the raids failed to drop any.
Awesome, thanks Tom

am i the only one wondering why in TW dungeons 120’s have higher stats? something changed and my gemmed/enchanted tw gear set is pretty much useless now compared to my normal gear. at 110/111 i have about 7-8k less hp than 120’s in the group. the scaling reminds me of how it worked in korraks.

HoA talent unlocks, especially with stam.

HoA talent unlocks, especially with stam.
not fair! how is anyone under 120 supposed to be a special snowflake!? i feed of players in group going “goddamn bro how you do that”. if a tank doesnt get pissed at me because they cant keep aggro i don’t wanna run the dungeon.

What valor vendor is that? And where is it now?

If you want to be optimal with TW gear, Dragonsoul gear shouldn't be considered. Ever since 8.1.5 bumped up ilvl of TBC/WotLK dungeon gear, those are usually BiS in most cases.

The reason being TBC dungeon gear, Sunwell Plateau, and to some extent Ulduar and WotLK dungeon gear, is by far better itemised. What I mean is, an ilvl 105 TBC dungeon piece usually has more stats that an ilvl 130 SoO mythic piece (apart from stamina). This is before scaling down the SoO gear for all but MoP TW.

Example: Wyrmscale Greaves (ilvl 105) vs any mail ilvl 130 legs from SoO mythic - the ilvl 105 has (after socket bonus) the same AP (27), and a total of 46 secondary stats (cirt/haste/versa) vs 33 on the SoO piece. It has 8 less stamina. WHen you scale down the SoO piece as needed (for TBC, WotLK, Cata TW), it becomes even worse. Not to mention that SoO mail legs have 1 less socket.

Cata raids and any WoTLK raid except Ulduar (TotC raid has some OK pieces) is very badly itemised. ToT has good boots and leg pieces (slightly better than SoO). SWP, despite its low ilvl, is competitive as well almost all the way to SoO mythic ilvl for some pieces.

I do tons of leveling throwaway twinks, so I've checked and re-checked all available gear from raids. My usual path of gearing is SWP + TBC heroics @70, TBC normals, WOTLK heroics + Ulduar @80, SoO @90. No other raid gear is worth looking at, with very small exceptions.

Another example - an Ulduar mainhand and SoO mythic offhand is for all intents and purposes better than the Legion artifact you can get at 98, all the way till lvl 110. This is due to sockets, Superior Wizard Oil, offhand enchants, and very few decent options to enchant on a legion artifact in the first place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread