PTR "Tony's Law" is present in SL F2P/Veteran lvl

Blixtmen

Grandfathered
"Tony's Law" (https://xpoff.com/threads/tonys-law-hit-mechanics-in-lvl-1-dueling-explained.81708/) is present on the new lvl 10 (I assume it will be the F2P/Veteran lvl in SL) PTR
I suggest people to report it as a bug on either the ptr or the Shadowlands beta if you have access to it.

For people that don't know what it is: if your opponent has a lower max ilvl than you, then almost all of your attacks will consistently miss

Last edited:
We thought it was at first too, but it's not.

It has to do with the HK disparities between players similar to the honor level bug we experienced at the start of BFA.

I was missing every spell I casted (maybe 1 in every 10 hit.) Our first test, we deleted everything in my bank / bags, still couldn't hit my buddy (toon has 82k HKs compared to his 3k~.) Got on another priest that instead had 0 HKs and I couldn't miss him anymore and he couldn't even touch me (he was the one missing.)

Interestingly enough, this does not apply to arenas, only wpvp. (If this makes it to live queues likely wouldn't even pop like the other bug.)

Last edited by a moderator:
We thought it was at first too, but it's not.

It has to do with the HK disparities between players similar to the honor level bug we experienced at the start of BFA.

I was missing every spell I casted (maybe 1 in every 10 hit.) Our first test, we deleted everything in my bank / bags, still couldn't hit my buddy (toon has 82k HKs compared to his 3k~.) Got on another priest that instead had 0 HKs and I couldn't miss him anymore and he couldn't even touch me (he was the one missing.)

Interestingly enough, this does not apply to arenas, only wpvp. (If this makes it to live queues likely wouldn't even pop like the other bug.)
Interesting, perhaps classes are affected differently? I just tested it again now, both were casters in a duel lvl 10. When throwing all armor away and going naked way more hits miss, put on a full set and it's the opposite person missing

Interesting, perhaps classes are affected differently? I just tested it again now, both were casters in a duel lvl 10. When throwing all armor away and going naked way more hits miss, put on a full set and it's the opposite person missing
Tony's Law counts the items in your bags / bank too, just taking off your gear and keeping it in your bags won't circumvent the mechanic if it is present. Compare the characters honorable kill counts and let me know what your results are. It could be class specific, we didn't look too much farther into it once we discovered the HK thing.

Tony's Law counts the items in your bags / bank too, just taking off your gear and keeping it in your bags won't circumvent the mechanic if it is present. Compare the characters honorable kill counts and let me know what your results are. It could be class specific, we didn't look too much farther into it once we discovered the HK thing.
Sorry, I did mean trashing the gear and not just taking it off

The characters tested equally had 0 hks

How on earth is this even a thing....

Roskmegs lvl 1 with over 250k hks would be invincible?
No he wouldn't be able to land a single hit on anybody most likely. The higher the HKs (or larger the gap between you and the person with less HKs is,) the more you miss.

Also, level 1 with 250k HKs? The fuck? There a video or pic or something of this that I can see?

Back on topic though, I think the first time around this happened it was an attempt at having some sort of MMR in queues? So an honor level 5 million player that pvps 26 hrs a day wouldn't be going up against an honor level 6 player who just downloaded the game that day? This could be something similar, that's my theory anyways.

It was fixed once, it'll be fixed again.

No he wouldn't be able to land a single hit on anybody most likely. The higher the HKs (or larger the gap between you and the person with less HKs is,) the more you miss.

Also, level 1 with 250k HKs? The fuck? There a video or pic or something of this that I can see?

Back on topic though, I think the first time around this happened it was an attempt at having some sort of MMR in queues? So an honor level 5 million player that pvps 26 hrs a day wouldn't be going up against an honor level 6 player who just downloaded the game that day? This could be something similar, that's my theory anyways.

It was fixed once, it'll be fixed again.

It's a sad day when you see activision trying to shoehorn in score based matchmaking into casual battlegrounds in an MMO. Gaming keeps going further and further down the toilet.

It's a sad day when you see activision trying to shoehorn in score based matchmaking into casual battlegrounds in an MMO. Gaming keeps going further and further down the toilet.
I've never seen a blue post confirming or denying my theory (there could be one I haven't seen, unsure,) but it's just that, a theory. Looking back on it though it would make sense if that's something they were trying to implement (queues wouldn't pop for people who were high honor level because naturally, there are less high honor level players than there are low, but queues would pop for lower honor level players. Again, naturally, the lower the honor level the more frequent the pops were.) This was 'fixed' within like a week though.

That's a bit different from this though, the HK difference thing is just straight up a bug I'm sure.

I'm just curious how it became known as "Tony's Law". xD First time I've seen it coined that.

Tinytony is the name of the person who discovered the mechanic.
Fair enough.

I guess this is what I get for not having paid much attention to level 1s since WoTLK. :eek:

Three cheers to Tinytony!

I mean, I know level 1s can't really do much, but it feels less than impressive and more like "Wow that's pretty silly" when he was just farming them using extra accounts and a max level to do all the kills for him. Would have been cool if he got 250k actually out in the world killing people who stumbled into contested zones or idk partying up with a bunch of other level 1s and going to pvp unsuspecting level 10s in redridge or something.

I mean, I know level 1s can't really do much, but it feels less than impressive and more like "Wow that's pretty silly" when he was just farming them using extra accounts and a max level to do all the kills for him. Would have been cool if he got 250k actually out in the world killing people who stumbled into contested zones or idk partying up with a bunch of other level 1s and going to pvp unsuspecting level 10s in redridge or something.
Yeah... this is cool to see and all and the fact that he got it on a level 1 is bonkers but I feel like I'd be more impressed with like, a level 1 with a legitimate 5k HKs > 250k botted HKs (esp when you consider he's clocking in 30k~ HKs an hour with that method...)

I think it's safe to say ilvl is the biggest factor. HK disparity might still affect it but when on equal ground or in this case, 440hks could still hit 0hk on equal gear. When trashing gear and going naked you start seeing way more misses

440hks could still hit 0hk on equal gear.
A 440 gap...? Really? That's all you could test with...? (We didn't start seeing results until about 1500-3k difference. Our most extreme test being an 80 thousand hk gap.)

I'm like 99.99% sure it's not Tony's Laws I had my entire BiS ilvl set from Legion in my bags, tested, still missing. Deleted it all, tested, still missing.

The only change throughout our tests (which we did multiple over the span of 5 or so hours) was HK differences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread