Thrown vs Shoot for rogues

Bah, this is my third attempt to post, I keep getting returned to the log in page when I submit the content. At any rate, I'm using clunky, slow old Blacksmithing darts, nothing close to BiS, but I have nevertheless been afforded a more than substantial glimpse into how and why thrown > shoot for mele on almost every possible level. It's a Difference Maker (caps intentional) without any shadow of a doubt. I would say that the person who is getting 25 killing blows a game while using guns/bows, while another, superior rogue - who is using thrown - is only getting, let's say 15 killing blows, is wildly erroneous in thinking they are the better player. They are probably just cherry picking kb's rather than getting in the mix and dominating. Shadowstepping in and ambushing opponents at half health as your singular source of kb's has to get really stale. I'd much rather have 15 well fought kb's than 25 cherry picks, but that's just me, I wildly enjoy the combat, strategic employment of skill/experience over the mere act of finishing someone off. Not to say that I'm going to let someone run by me at half health because it's "no fun" to kill them; I'm just not basing my game around it or salivating for the "opportunity". I have to say that finishing players off with ranged or interrupting them, buying time, etc. all add up to greater enjoyment of the game, which brings us to another reason to choose thrown: it opens up an entirely new toolset (and resulting skillset), making everything more, you know, like, FUN. I think the only way guns/bows is more fun for players is if one just doesn't want to think on one's feet or use skill, etc., because, hey, it makes things "too difficult", lol.

I have to say that you are easily the smartest new rogue I've seen in this bracket in a looooooong time. Most nubs just ignore veteran advice and go "lol luk at my KBs I'm so pro". You get it, *tip of the hat*

as a nubby nub who asked this very question not long ago, i can attest to the fact that thrown really is superior. it took forever to convince me, and god knows i wasn't about to listen to anyone here, but after testing it extensively in the field i found that it truly is the way to go. i was equipping my boa bow and sitting over 8% hit and i thought that was pretty epic, and it was, but like everyone says, the utility of thrown weapons vs. guns/bows is simply gamebreaking. not to mention how much of a badass you feel like when you wax an escaping efc with a throwing knife while you're rooted. the other day i was dueling in durotar and i was able to kill a scrubby 20something mage by popping agm and chain casting throw. it is simply superior.

Rivfader said:
I have to say that you are easily the smartest new rogue I've seen in this bracket in a looooooong time. Most nubs just ignore veteran advice and go "lol luk at my KBs I'm so pro". You get it, *tip of the hat*

Hey thanks Riv. As someone who has been accustomed to getting cheap KB's by the bucket-full in this bracket (as a hunter), I find the nuances and challenges of the rogue class to be a refreshing blast. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

i kicked a rogue casting bow today, needless to say it didnt work

Back in the good days of 19 (TBC)

in a rogue v rogue duel, knowing when to use thrown weapon would make or break the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread